• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My old HTPC and 3d ?

arcticscumbag

Standard Member
Hi all,

So ive just ordered a new 3d tv and now need to figure out my htpc needs, ive got a 3 years old system that i use mainly for playing avi/mkv's etc. but im a bit confused as to what i need to run 3d.

Ive currently got the following:

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI iG35 Socket 775
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache
Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory

not sure what graphics card i have, but its knackered as i had to remove it recently and am currently using the onboard graphics. So will be needing a graphics card at the least !

I understand that to play 3d iso's im gonna need a complete upgrade, but what about half sbs rips ? Can i just get away with a new graphics card to play them on this old system ?

When the new tv arrives im gonna be doing some diy and concealing all the cables in the wall so will need to get some new hdmi leads, should i go for 1.4 so im futureproofed for when i do get a system to do full 3d iso's etc.

any help is appreciated.

Holwill

ATI HD6450 supports 3D so that is all you should need to upgrade your system.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
What kind of 3D do you want to watch? 3D Half SBS or Full HD 3D?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom