My office/music/AV/gaming/dining room setup ;)

sidnitzerglobin

Standard Member
Light on pics at the moment & likely not all that impressive but I'm pretty darn happy w/ it so far so figured I'd document what I've got going on after recent upgrades to the setup in what has become the room I spend at least 70% of my waking hours in over the past couple years :)

Here's my one shot at the moment, a view of my desktop in day job mode. I'll post more as I get stuff pinned down & cleaned up:
5Q8LQGM.jpg

AVR:
Yamaha RX-A4A

Speakers (AV):
Front, left & right: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Center, Surrounds, Rears, & Sub: Definitive Technology ProCinema 6D
Some old-ish Logitech 2.1 set that I can't remember the model of that really just hang around for utility & as an occasional reference for a mid range stereo computer setup

Near field monitors:
Genelec 1030As I've been using since the mid 90s, showing some wear but still carrying on

Displays:
LG 48 CX OLED
LG 34WK95U-W (5120x2160 @ 60Hz Nano IPS w/ HDR 600 certification & a pretty decent built-in picture by picture function)

Sources:
Gaming box (Win10, i9 10900K/eVGA RTX3080 FTW Ultra) connected via optical to A4A, HDMI 2.1 to CX eARC'd to A4A, & a 2nd run DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0b trying my hand at a dedicated HD audio run straight into the A4A but it only seems to work w/ the Dolby Access app's Atmos demos & absolutely nothing else so far....

Workstation box (Win10, Ryzen 3900X/RTX2070 Super) connected to the 34WK95U-W via DP1.4, to the A4A via HDMI 2.0b, & via USB 3.1 to Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 or 1st gen 18i20 that is in turn connected via 1/4" TRS to XLR into the 1030As. Just got the coax to optical converter to try hooking the 8i6's SPDIF into the second optical on the A4A so I can more easily reference against the AV setup from the DAW/etc. as well

Laptop (dayjob issued HP Z Book w/ Quadro P4000) connected via DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0b to HDMI 2.0b on the 34WK95U-W

Panasonic DP-UB820 connected via HDMI 2.1 to A4A

Roku Ultra connected via HDMI 2.1 to A4A

Near future additions:
Should be adding another source over the weekend, a small Ryzen 5 5600G based box I'm putting together in a Fractal Design Node 202 STB style case to serve as a Plex server for the house, mini-NAS, & will likely take over weekday personal computing needs from the gaming box. Also should have some rack shelves here tomorrow that will let me reorganize my AV stack along w/ the new STB Ryzen box into a rack table housing/desk w/ some of the outboard recording gear.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
That’s a lot of kit in a modest space !

sidnitzerglobin

Standard Member
Spent the last few weeks getting stuff organized & set up in a 3 section rack table w/ a new sit/stand convertible desk in this room. Also added a couple more machines to the mix & hooked up the 1030s to the front pre outs of the A4A.

Grabbed some pics & figured I'd share the progress to date:
u3qqu1J.jpg

Whoever put this table together wasn't quite paying attention & left an extra screw holes worth of rail in each section & mounted them in the opposite orientation to the other sections on the left hand section but I can't complain too much since it was free I suppose :) Still kind of triggering to whatever OCD impulse I may have.

Closeups of each section left to right:
gmJxQkvyPyJZeIR3Kn5sm2ADHGG_8G6gXQqNZAU-qd3MpTzGKxOTh7R4kdVUJt1OD7I=s0-d-e1-ft

Top to bottom it houses the new ethernet switch; a power conditioner; a shelf for the Roku Ultra, BR-RW, & remotes; the Ultra BluRay player; the new Plex server/NAS; & a 4U drawer
Crq1lsOWxZgL-5_sQL-_esGYcPA4rBbAjx6Z-PgebnCNLdD2eLUBZ1qR2_hS6dK7N9A=s0-d-e1-ft

the AVR; the new "fun" box (Ryzen 7 5800X w/ the 2070 Super I replaced w/ a Quadro P1000 from the workstation & an embarassing amount of RGB bits ;) ); & a 4U drawer
be9jyDX6sdMkl43dFS3UbSDvoRJ1kawF4NT-rSR7t9mF9xn0yHr4W1snTCxCIuQ3P9E=s0-d-e1-ft

another power conditioner; a 1/4" TRS patchbay for the recording stuff (still need to wire it up along w/ the gear); TL Audio EQ2 2 channel tube mic pre w/ 4 band parametric EQ; dbx 1066 2 channel compressor; Digitech Studio Quad reverb; & another 4U drawer

Here's the current desk setup:
3RmHyJW.jpg

Still a work in progress but it's a pretty massive improvement over where things had been & I'm really liking the addition of the 1030s in the AV setup for movies/shows/games or music enjoyment :D

Still need some longer cables to get the snakes as organized as I'd like, to solve for switching input to the 1030s from the A4A to the Focusrite w/o needing to swap cables, to wire all the recording stuff & the workstation box, get some new drapes, & get the rest of the room decluttered, organized, & reconfigured.

In the long term I'll want to get a smooth height adjustable wall mount for the 48 CX so it's usable in standing mode as well, been thinking this one from Ergotron would fit the bill but any suggestions are welcome:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom