My nut has bent any advice.

tonyrees687

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The nut on my Epi EJ200/VS has bent forward and sent the intonation all out. The action of the strings on the fret board has stayed the same and no fret buzz anywhere and the neck is still nice and straight. I know a little about truss rods and bridge settings but nothing about the nut. I now need to take the nut out and replace, but not sure about resitting the nut and recutting the groove for the nut to sit into properly. Ive put some pics to show what has happened.You can see in the pic that the truss rod cover has bent up a little due to the nut unseating. I need to cut some depth were the nut sits so the back of the nut ( towards the tuning keys has a bigger lip behind it to keep it in place). Any ideas on this. Its not a great guitar but it plays nice has a low action and sounds good and would like to keep it going. Any advice.
Regards Tony

Last edited:
While Im at it when changing the nut any one know how I can darken the rosewood fretboard,would like a nice ebony finish if possible, I have used lemon oil on the neck a few times a year, this darkens it a bit but dont last. Seen a few forums that say kiwi boot polish is good followed by a polish but I dont thinkI want to go this route. Have you changed your neck colour.

I only fiddle for fun/learning since I've bought a few cheap guitars in the last year, but you can buy pre-cut tusq nuts pretty cheaply from fleebay.

Sounds a bit strange that the nut has slipped, the string tension should keep it in place from what I have read. Having a quick look at the third pic (1084) are you sure it's not that crack causing the problem. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the fret board has lifted.

I see what you see now. Thx for pointing that out. Weird when you look for something you cant see it until its mentioned.

I think I'd be seeking some professional advice on this.

There's a great bloke in Cardiff, Dave Dearnalay, worked wonders on my Gibby Sonwriter and fitted a bone nit to my Yamaha that transformed it.

I assume you're not too far away ;)

Thanks Bob Ive booked into someone near to get a bone nut fitted. I live in London but from Blackwood originally so bit of a trip to Cardiff ;) Thanks for the advice. Out of interest were does Dave work or his he a private luthier.
Cheers Tony

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom