1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Nokia ruined by coke-cola

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by S.S.Dhuper, Aug 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I had a can of coke-cola in the car along with my Nokia 3510i, and while parked in this hot weather the can I guess exploded the top part of the lid was off there was coke on the windscreen, dash board, side window and of course on the Nokia, I cleaned it as best as I could, but it won't turn on, if i take out the battery and put it back in the screen does light up in a blue colour and then it goes out, the phone is nearly 3 years old and it's Virgin's PAYG, will it cost alot to repair it??? or should I just bin it and buy a new one.

2. jackashton1

jackashton1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if its wet and u tried to turn it on, the damage will have been done. u can get 3510is for about £25 these days, better than getting it fixed

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    think you self lucky sun night i dropped my nokia 8800(was a bit drunk) dent in the casing and scratched to bits thats a £600 phone sim free :( its ok though its insured ;)

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,039
    If you're about to bin it anyway, take out the sim, take out the battery, take off as much casing as possible and soak the phone in warm water for a few hours, with occassional agitation (the phone, not you ;) ). Then dry it off, leave it in an airing cupboard for a couple of days and try it again. You have nothing to lose, I've known computer keybords that were completely dead due to Coke spillage respond to this successfully. I know it's a long shot with a phone, but might be worth a try.

HTH

Dave

5. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Even better would be to use distilled water as it will leave no residue whatsoever.

:thumbsup:

6. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I remember when orange were selling off the 3510i for £10. That offer finished long ago. I did see some in an ex catalogue shop in bridilington at £100 the other day. Some idiot will buy it. I paid that when it was a new model!

I would just replace it. How about this, similar but smaller and better to look at.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/nokia_3120/detail/pay_as_you_go

7. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Thanks for all the replies, do you mean take off the front and back covers?? I'll give it a try like you said, it can't get any worse then it is now, just out of interest if it doesn't work, i don't use my phone alot, but what phone would you guys recommend I just need something basic reliable like the 3510i.

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,039
    Yes, take off the covers, and if you can get distilled water (car shop, for batteries) as suggested, so much the better.

Dave

9. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Water in general wont do any harm to a phone. Put it in distilled water as someone said then dry it.

I dropped an old motorola in the bath once, tried to turn it on and it wouldn't. Put it in the airing cupboard to dry and it soon worked again. Left a bit of a mark under the screen but you can sort that with removable covers :)

10. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've put my nokia 6610 in the washing machine for a full cycle on two separate occasions and it still works. It's a lot cleaner too...

jon