1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY Nintendo DS is Here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by micksowner, Nov 24, 2004.

1. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh my god!!!
    oh my god!!!

its FANTASTIC! :clap: :rotfl: :thumbsup: :clap:

Not played the Metroid demo yet, but Mario 64 is so great! This time you play as Yoshi..... so far its just like the N64 version, but graphics are clearer and sharper......

I even enjoyed the set-up process when I first switched it on!!!

Yipee! :rotfl: :rotfl:

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,994
    Lucky you! :cool:

Any chance of a mini review?

What is the screen / graphics like? How are the controls? Is it pocket-able, or a bit too bulky? What is the sound like? etc.

Is it compatible with GBA games?

Do you mind me also asking where you got it from, and for how much?

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,466

I'm sure it's already been confirmed that the DS has a slot specialy for GBA games :)

I noticed that Vandal Hearts is on the DS release schedule, that'll be enough to confirm a purchase from me as soon as I get chance :thumbsup:

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Yeah, I am holding off buying it until some decent games come out for it.....

Metroid Hunters might do it for me and the advance Wars update.

Mario 64 is ok but not enough to warrant me importing the machine.

5. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, played on it for about half an hour now - and I am deeply in love with it! :blush:

Size wise, its 6"x3.25" and it is 1.25" deep when folded. I think I'd struggle to get it into a pocket, maybe a coat pocket rather than a jeans pocket. But it is very light.

Sound is really, really good.... it somehow manages to sound "stereo", certainly not flat...

Mario 64 DS - first play - great.... they have tweaked it, so its not the same game, you play as Yoshi etc, but essentially its all there, the castle etc.... sound is great, graphics are crisp and clear. Speech is also good - I like that, rather than having to read subtitles all the time....

Metroid Demo - WOW! No kidding, I'd say its as close to a Gamecube in your hand as you are gonna get! OK, so I am not saying the graphics are the same as your GC, but they are damn close I can tell you.....

The control system seems strange, but use it, and its very natural - double tap the bottom screen to jump, and slide your finger over it to look around. The joypad moves you forwards, backwards, sideways etc....

Tap the Morph Ball icon on the bottom screen to morph, and tap another icon to charge up your beam..... very simple, very clever.....

Again, sound is great, typical Metroid sounds - and the opening sequence is really good..... half of Seamus on the top screen, the other half on the bottom screen - but you dont even notice the gap - its that good!

I got it from VideoGamesPlus in Canada www.videogamesplus.ca - bear in mind I ordered mine almost a year ago, thats why I was first in the queue. They are out of stock but will be getting stocks every week, sooner you put your name down, sooner you get it. In total the console was a smidge under £110 - that included 2 day DHL delivery.

There is a slot for the new DS games (1.5"x1.25" and thin as a match) and also a slot for GBA games, so you can have one of each in at a time, no need to swap - nice touch.

Have not had chance to try PicoChat/wireless features, as I dont know anyone else in the vacinity lucky enough to have one :D

Overall, I am more than pleased. I am a Nintendo fan, I dont think they are kiddy - take a look at Metroid! - but I am also not biased, I am also looking forward to the PSP release but I think Nintendo made a good move launching first. Its sad that they have such a world wide shortage of consoles and games, but in my opinion, the DS has opended up the world of next generation mobile gaming, and so far - it looks bright!!

Oh - and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can just use your UK GBA charger on it too, so no need to buy a transformer for the US one! I'll be checking that one out tonight when I get home....

I'm off to play agin........................ :hiya:

6. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few pics.....

Attached Files:

7. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Oh god , jealous as hell :mad:
    Thought i would wait for the official UK release but starting to crack already :rotfl:

Panic

8. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three more pics showing Metroid - this may help you make up your mind, Sinzer :smashin:

Attached Files:

9. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    So about as long as the PSP lasts then :D

No seriously let us know how long the battery lasts in real conditions not the cack the manufacturers say, with reasonible volume etc..

10. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, will do.... have fully re-charged so lets see how long it lasts under normal conditions!

:smoke:

11. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the ds is a nice handheld...and mario looks amazing..but....................................psp is due very soon and 2 be honest out of the 2 im going for psp..simply because its not gonna be just a handheld for games..

12. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Oh my goodness - how good does that look ... dammit and theres me thinking i was going to be so good and not get this until the UK release ... hmmm wheres that credit card !

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,133
    That does look great I must say! Metroid looks superb, as does Mario! If I had a need for a handheld then i'd buy one of these in a flash!

14. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update - fantastic new addition to Mario 64 - mini games! not just your avergae mini games, honestly they are great...... there are 8 to start with, and you unlock more..... they are all controlled with the stylus (or your finger)....

One is especially innonvative and lots of fun - you control a giant catapult in the bottom screen, and you have to fire it (by pulling back the stylus and releasing) ..... others include card pairs, having to draw lines to guide a Mario to a star etc.....

Typical Nintendo innovation - great!! :clap:

I took the "decision" out of "decision making" by deciding to get both the DS and the PSP, so I am looking forward to the PSP too... :thumbsup:

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Sounds great... hopefully my mate who is in NYC at the mo can pick me one up!

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nintendo did such a great job on the GBA SP that I won't be in the market for a DS anytime soon. Still, looks like quite a nice piece of kit.

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    So whats the battery life then?

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Looks superb, just the screens are so tiny!

19. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,074
    Mine has shipped today! Haven't ordered any games for it yet though....

Andy.

20. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Mine got shipped today aswell with mario 64 :clap: from http://www.videogamesplus.ca/ cant believe you ordered a console without any games :confused: apart from demos i suppose :laugh:

21. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,074
    Yeah, tell me about it! I'll get Mario 64 ordered now, shouldn't take long to arrive...

Cheers
    Andy

22. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I just ordered one of these puppies with Mario 64, Asphalt Urban GT and Spiderman 2. Hopefully be with me this time next week. That will be work out of the window for a bit.

23. niceblokejohn

niceblokejohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CaptainH - can I ask where you ordered it from for it to be in stock? Looking for one of these as a Christmas present :)

24. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Eventually I had to take the plunge and get it from ebay. £165 including mario so I didn't think that was too bad considering. I read that the UK price will be £129 when released and I guess the games will be 30 odd pounds each so doesn't work out much more to get it now. I'm just happy to get it early bearing in mind its scarcity. Seller seems good, has a few in stock and posted yesterday so we shall see. I ordered th other games from http://www.videogamesplus.ca

25. niceblokejohn

niceblokejohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info CaptainH - I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay :)

26. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Its still going on its first charge aprox. 4/5 hours so far :)

27. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The games are going to be under £25 for the UK, VGP are selling them at £23 including delivery.

Emma. :)

28. incywincy

incywincy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine on ebay too for £115 delivered & I ordered Mario from VGP. I originally ordered the DS from VGP, Lik-Sang & DVD Box Office but didn't pre-order until the 21/11 so didn't hold out much hope of getting one before christmas.

I've seen them going for rediculous prices though on ebay's UK site. Best bet is to go on ebay.com & email the seller for a shipping price to the UK before you bid.

Depending on how they ship, you are usually looking at a week for delivery.

Hopefully mine will be here next week :thumbsup:

29. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - the DS has just died on me after about 6 hours of play.

It didnt give me any warning, just switched off - either that or I was too engrossed in Mario 64DS to notice the light flashing :laugh: so anything I had not saved has gone (in this case, it was nothing as I'd just got a star so thats ok).

You can turn the backlight off, but when you do you cant see anything at all! But I guess in the summer outside this would be ok.

So - about 6 hours on and off gaming...... and I'm using my UK SP charger successfully you'll be pleased to hear..... :smashin:

Emma
    (micksowner)

30. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    When the battery starts to get low the light goes from green to red so there is a warning there. I got around 6 hours before my DS red lighted and when it red lights you get about another hour out of it before it dies. So overall i would of got around 7 hours out of it and thats messing with pictochat which drains your battery even quicker cause of the wireless usage.