My Nintaus PDVD-9769 has arrived!...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Peter Webb, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my Nintaus PDVD-9769 this afternoon.I live in the UK and according to the delivery receipt it was shipped from Hong Kong only two days ago on the 10th April ! I reckon that's pretty fast !
    The Nintaus box was fitted inside a tightly fitting outer box with no additional bubble wrap or polystyrene for protection.However,the outer box sustained very little damage during transit,and the inner DVD player box and player appear completely undamaged.
    The PDVD-9769 is working fine, (though i have noticed the occasional glitch as mentioned in other threads).These are not too bothersome but I will definitely update the firmware when the teething troubles with the upgrade are resolved.
    Looking forward to trying the Progressive Scan outputs with my projector(Sony VPL-HS1) over the weekend!

Many thanks to Hivizone for their professional and fast service,bearing in mind that stock shortages on these very popular players are no doubt out of their hands .

:D

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the Nintaus, so if you have any queries feel free to ask.

There are a couple of things I discovered which may help:eek:

3. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer,I have been following your progress and others on this forum and AVS,and picked up some tips along the way ;)
    Do you know whether the firmware update is supposed to clear the occasional glitching on this player?I'm also interested how my Sony projector copes with the VGA output of the Nintaus,as some models don't recognise 720x480 or 720x576 (which is what the Nintaus outputs) but see only 640x480,800x600 etc on that input, ie computer resolutions.

Anyway i'm glad I went for N9769 despite it's idiosyncrases.

I noticed that the rear panel sports the CE mark and that the manual mentions a version of the player with a scart output. Whether this Europe friendly version would keep the FLI2200 progressive chip i don't know.
    If the Sage/Faroudja progressive capability was kept in this version,an enterprising UK company would no doubt sell large numbers of this machine if they took on distribution in this country.
    When PAL Progressive has been properly ratified of course :D

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine has turned up as well. Condition same as yours. I was bit surprised to find there is no 'standby' mode just the mechanically latching 'On/Off switch on the front panel. First impressions compared to my HCPC are not very favourable but it is a lot less hassle.

I will do some more comparisions when I have more time.

Haven't noticed any glitches yet.

5. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update.Yes the Nintaus does not appear to have a standby mode,just on/off from the front panel only.Have you noticed that when you hit the stop button (even twice) that although playback stops the disc keeps spinning for about 5 minutes.Of course if you eject then it comes to rest before the tray opens.Maybe this is due to using a DVD-rom type mechanism on this machine.
    Progressive component picture is generally excellent,but interlaced image through s-video is very mediocre.ie rather soft ,dark and with chroma shift error(that also seems to be evident on test material through even the progressive component output but i can't say I noticed it during normal viewing as I did with s-video.
    Not had the chance to fully test the PAL progressive capability yet,but my Sony VPL-HS1 projector locks on to the signal ok and the projector display identifies it as 575/50p so no problem on that score :D
    I used some sequences from The Fast and the Furious and there is some improvement over interlaced anamorphic, but not as great as the differences with NTSC material like the full frame Bugs Life and the non anamorphically enhanced region1 Titanic.
    Will dig out my old region 2 PAL flipper disc of Armageddon,which is also non anamorphic.Should be a resonable test of the PAL de-interlacing.
    Will let you know how I get on

Cheers

Pete. :)

6. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is what I posted on AVS forum:

I finally received my N9769 yesterday with NT2_011 firmware on it. I suffer from the mpeg glitches as well. They seem to occur very frequently; about every 5 to 8 minutes. It wasn't too annoying at first, but I have watched two and a half films on it now, and it is starting to annoy me more and more. I hope this will be fixed by the new firmware that Nintaus is supposed to be working on. I think the vertical shift of the right few pixels is in the overscan region on my Sony VW11HT projector and my TV.

I have also noticed that 16:9 films have the correct placement on the screen, but 2.35:1 ratio films are shifted up a bit on the screen. These are normally vertically centered. I know I can shift it vertically within the projector, but this is odd.

I also noticed that the unit has some odd electrical characteristics. While I was holding it to connect all the cables in the back, I got slightly shocked by any video cable that was connected to another piece of equipment which was grounded. If I was not touching the chassis of the 9769, all the video cables were fine, IE no shocks. So, I'm thinking of putting a new power cord on the unit and connecting the ground to the chassis.

One last thing that I don't like is the power button. You CANNOT turn the unit on and off by using the remote control. So, everybody who likes to use macros on their programmable remotes can forget about turning on the dvd player in the macro. This REALLY annoys me because everything in my home cinema room is automated.... except the Nintaus.

Now some good things. I have to say that the de-interlacing and overall resolution of the player is great. The de-interlacing is better than a Denon 2800 which I demo'd with my 11HT PJ. In the Widescreen Enhanced resolutions patterns on AVIA, I have FULL resolution. No shimmering in any of the resolution patterns. WOW.
    --------------------
    I also was unhappy that my Sony 11HT cannot accept 480p or 576p on the RGBHV input from the Nintaus VGA output. I have had to use the YPrPb connections with integrated sync.