1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Nightshots On Pentax Optio S 3.2 Are So Blurry!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by myself, May 27, 2004.

1. myself

myself

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I bought a Pentax Optio S 3.2 Megapixel.
    The only problem I have with it is when I take pictures at night. I use the night option to take the pictures but unfortunately they come all blurry and it looks like I was moving while I was taking the picture.

Any ideas?

I thought of not using the night option, but when I do even though the pictures do not come out blurry, the picture is dark.

many thanks for all the help.

Kelly

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The night option will keep the shutter open longer to collect more light - so when you move the camera the image will blur.
    It is only intended for tripod use.

Try the normal program mode, but switch the flash off, which will try and force a slow shutter. Also set the sensitivity to ISO 200, and try changing the EV (+ or -) to see if this helps.

Pre-focus with a half pressed shutter release which will allow you to capture the shot quicker than waiting for the camera to focus and set the exposure etc.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    In the absence of a tripod, you can also try the following "workround" techniques.....

1: Brace the camera on a firm surface (fence post, car roof, anything that is available to you).

2: If you can't - then brace yourself.

3: You could try using the 10-second delay feature. This works (only to an extent) because, after the physical action of pressing the shutter button (which causes instability in your grip) you then have 10 sec to compose yourself and be as still as you can. If you can, use this technique in conjunction with (2). Obviously this only works for static scenes.

4: Take lots of pictures, in the hope that at least one is clear, and then delete all those that are motion-blurred.

It isn't a specific issue for the Pentax - the same would be true in low-light conditions for most stills cameras, film or digital.

4. myself

myself

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your replies.
    I tried them last night. I found that the best thing to do is a combination of your suggestions.

So I set the ISO to 200, set the EV to + and also used the 10 second delay.
    The pictures are not blurry any more. I used the above on the night shot.

I am very glad!!

Thanks for the response on this.