my nifty fifty xmas...

netronelson

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of these threads about, but it's been a while since I actually posted some shots other than for the photo comp, so i thought i'd share a few...

I got the 50mm to try and help with the indoor light problem, and was very impressed, but putting it up to 1600 ISO has meant some of the images are grainy and have noise and some drop focus.

Any tips on what I could have done to get more from these shots are all appreciated.

2179393796_8360c74511.jpg

2178601447_cd23b9933b.jpg

2178596909_7a6138b73d.jpg

2179375908_0a25c809a6.jpg

What are you doing you crazy fool!!
2178594051_c2457b2127.jpg

2178596289_6680ba0297.jpg

Hi netro,

Had a look through your flickr, and those pics you have posted were taken at ISO800:confused:

Except the wrapping paper one which was taken at 400:confused::confused:.

I do love the composition of the one you have called 'sneak' its a really nice pic IMO, infact, the only one I think could be done differently is the last one you posted, I think it would have been better with a deeper DoF.

Some crackers on your photostream aswell (no pun intended:D)

Cheers,

Alun

I use a 50mm almost constantly indoors and generally float between 400 and 800 ISO depending on how much natural light is coming in the window, I generally never use flash.

Hi netro,

Had a look through your flickr, and those pics you have posted were taken at ISO800:confused:

Except the wrapping paper one which was taken at 400:confused::confused:.

Alun

Oops - I meant that the vast majority of shots I took were on 1600, and had the quality problems. which was a shame - these were the best of the bunch, and i'm happy with the ones i got to keep, it was still way more than if I had used my other lenses I feel.

Thanks for the nice comments too...!

3 & 4 are fantastic! :) Were you shooting hand-held in 4? What was the exposure time? Didn't check the exif or Flixter.

I never shoot indoors with my Nifty Fifty, it's just too close for the scenarios I always have with family (lots of family spread across the room) and it's pretty dull in Scotland just now so we don't get a whole lot of light through the windows. I tend to shoot with my 18-55mm at 18mm with the flash on.

I do try both use my NF and shoot without a flash as often as possible, though. I also have to say that I never use anything above ISO800 as I simply have a very low tolerance for noise. If it's a bright day or I'm tripod-shooting still life I'll choose ISO200, ISO400 for a duller day and ISO800 for shooting with no flash, no matter how dark. I'd rather put up with a slower shutter spend and end up with a slightly blurred image that might be quite effective than a noisy image.

Yep, all indoors, all hand held (a question of click and hold and choose the best from the bunch!) for shot 4 (the paper throw) - 0.2 sec shutter, 400 ISO and the flash fired. The key bit was using the flash since it would snapshot the fluttering bits of paper (something I learned when photographing drops of water).

THanks for the comments...

@Coolhand - i notice you have the tamron 17-35... how would you rate it? i'm shopping around for a wide angle lens at the moment...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom