my next door neighbour is a fraud!

Hi,

Yesterday the post man knocks on with a letter for next door, it was a signed for item and asked my wife to sign for it so she did not knowing until I got in, that the name in the envelope don't exist//live next door.

So me being nosey when I got in, held it up to the light and seen it was from sky containing 100 m&s vouchers. So I thought ok, if they want it they will come get as postman wud of obviously left a slip saying at number whatever.

Did they come? No, the postman however returns this morning asking for it back and takes it next door. I assume they got onto royal mail and said they have not received rather then come ask us as they know there is no one in their household under that name.

So as I'm suspicious, I ask my friend who works at sky, to check the postcode an door number etc..... he comes back sayin they signed up but account is on hold due to debt stuff and things not matching up aswell as the fact they rang sky today sayin they did not get their vouchers, sky checked the signature which was my wifes, said ok it does not match etc and are now sending out a further 100 in m&s vouchers.

Can I not report these horrible Freeloading scumbags? As obvious my wife signed for it yet they claim they didn't get it even though postman gave them it this morning.

spankey spangle

Report them I would say no your just as bad with you reading someone's post and your mate at sky shouldn't be doing that passing on peoples information to you. Data protection and all that, saying this looks like they are bumping sky of vouchers but how is it harming you?

I didn't do out wrong, not my fault I can see through an envelope is it? Doin no harm to me apart from the fact my wife signed for it and they ate claiming they still have not git them even though I seen the postman give it to them.

So what next for me? Sky claiming I have them as my wife signed for them?

I'll report these free loaders, never worked a day in their life. Do I just ring sky or is their a fraud team?

mbren26

It's wrong what they're doing, granted. But as already pointed out your mate at sky has just breached data protection and could lose his job for doing what he has done.

You need to be realistic here. If you ring sky you're going to be connected with a call centre worker who isn't going to give two monkeys about what you're telling them. The police won't take it seriously as it is third party reporting, sky would need to report it themselves before the police would take interest.

By all means report it if it will make you feel better but please don't hold your breath waiting for anyone to do anything about it cos you may go a funny colour.

Not saying its right, I'm just being realistic.

spankey spangle

Your wife gave it bk next day to the posty so can't see a problem there sure the posty can confirm this to post office if there's any come back. Sounds like your have made your mind up so report away. What about your sky mate tho I think that is bang out of order someone should report him

NewMan

Always good to know that a mate at Sky is willing to hand out personal information so freely - as a Sky subscriber that makes me feel awfully happy about them having mine....

pandemic

I'll report these free loaders, never worked a day in their life. Do I just ring sky or is their a fraud team?

... and the only person who'll get in any trouble is your mate for breaching the Data Protection Act.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Is the OP superman? I'd love to have that level of xray vision!

krish

Distinguished Member
Can you be absolutely positive that the name on the envelope isn't your neighbours real name? My dad has used different names professionally and personally for convenience, as do many, especially married women, people with long and tricky full names (like my old man) and those who may commonly go by a middle name.

I think you just steer clear, due to both data protection issues, and that you may not have all the facts.

He didn't hand anything out to me, he simply stated what I was sayin was correct with regards to name etc. The fact they dnt av a dish us strange too. The guy at sky has not give me any details re them or personal bar the name on the account

NewMan

He didn't hand anything out to me, he simply stated what I was sayin was correct with regards to name etc. The fact they dnt av a dish us strange too. The guy at sky has not give me any details re them or personal bar the name on the account

I ask my friend who works at sky, to check the postcode an door number etc..... he comes back sayin they signed up but account is on hold due to debt stuff and things not matching up aswell as the fact they rang sky today sayin they did not get their vouchers, sky checked the signature which was my wifes, said ok it does not match etc and are now sending out a further 100 in m&s vouchers.

Even giving you the name on the account is in breach of data protection, but I direct you to your comment from the original post. If someone had passed on that sort of information about me, I'd want blood.

mbren26

JFRTDI said:

By him accessing their account for anything other than official sky business is a breach. By him confirming to you the name on the account is a breach (it's not your account it's nothing to do with you) like already said the only person who will end up in the doo doo is your mate at sky.

pandemic

If you read you second last paragraph in the original post. There are enough beaches in there.

Well done. Your friend can say goodbye to his job. Your friend by helping you has done a "Spiderman". Sky could also get him for DPA and not following procedures.

The following...."I ask my friend who works at sky, to check the postcode an door number etc..... he comes back sayin they signed up but account is on hold due to debt stuff and things not matching up aswell as the fact they rang sky today sayin they did not get their vouchers, sky checked the signature which was my wifes, said ok it does not match etc and are now sending out a further 100 in m&s vouchers.

By the fact that he confirms the information is all Sky need to tell him to go home and stay home. The fact that you also made it public is now an issue. Sky staff use this forum all the time. Its not hard for them to trace it back.

spankey spangle

@ the op did you not say about debt? Think he's told you more then just what you knew on your neighbour!

Last edited by a moderator:

mbren26

Might be an idea to delete the thread if possible.

How bad would you feel if your friend lost his job due to this? it would be his own fault ultimately but still....

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
As much as I think your neighbour should get caught, I don't think it's worth your mate losing his job over a £100 M&S voucher

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
For the OP and his friend I'm seeing one (or more) violations of the Data Protection Act, and maybe a violation of the Postal Services Act 2000.

'confirming something' is just as much a violation of the DPA as giving the information.

For the neighbour I'm seeing someone potentially innocently recieving an extra set of M&S vouchers from a wealthy and evil* mega-corporation.

*IMO

Graham27

OP, I think maybe you should try and get this thread deleted as soon as possible. Neither you nor your mate are coming out of it well, and as you've given so many details it would be an absolute doddle to trace this back to your mate.

mbren26

imightbewrong said:
For the OP and his friend I'm seeing one (or more) violations of the Data Protection Act, and maybe a violation of the Postal Services Act 2000.

For the neighbour I'm seeing someone potentially innocently recieving an extra set of M&S vouchers from a wealthy and evil* mega-corporation.

Def DPA breaches.

Not sure about postal offences. I thought post had to be opened for that but I may be wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021