1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new Z3!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neil c, Jun 3, 2005.

1. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Z3 turned up today, and so far I'm impressed. But somehow I managed to drag myself away from it long enough to get to a job interview, and get the job!

It's slightly bigger than I expected. Sanyo only included a single composite cable, a component cable for 1 of the 2 YUV inputs would have been nice! The remote is very useful, and it's backlight is a great feature.
    Powering up the Z3 proves Sanyo's low dB claims - it really is nice and quiet. The fans produce a nice low tone, and low tones are ALOT less annoying than smaller high pitch fans.

On to the picture;

- Sky via composite is watchable, and better than I expected. I'm going to figure out an RGB input, either by the Z3's DSUB or a component input. I might try S-Video in the meanwhile.

- Xbox in Hi-Def (MX Unleashed at 720p) looks fantastic, and 480p looks okay, but sometimes I think that I prefer the extra resolution of PAL over the NTSC progressive picture, if only all games were 720p! Roll on 360!

- The Samsung HD850 looks great upscaled to 720p via component, certainly a step towards real HD DVD. I've not yet tried it with HDMI.

- WMVHD looks incredible! I connected my PC via DSUB, and the Shark Tale and I, Robot trailers look awesome! It really does make SD look appalling.

- I've spent a considerable amount of time playing with the picture settings, but I think I've still got some way to go before I can leave the remote alone during a movie.

I've got a HDMI lead on the way to try out with the Samsung 850, and I may purchase a DVI to HDMI cable to see WMVHD via a digital connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for inputting scart RGB to the Z3? Nexnix quoted me a custom made scart to DSUB lead for around £30, which seems reasonable compared to spending £145 for a J.S. RGB to component converter, which would mean another bloody box and PSU.

I've noticed some audio synching problems. I've got a Pioneer D514 reciever, and I've told it that all the speakers are around the minmum positioning distance, which should cause the D514 to add a slight delay to them all. Can anyone suggest a cheap solution? Or am I going to need one of these;

http://www.progressive-av.co.uk/accessories/Felston_DD540_Digital-Audio-Delay.htm

Am I pleased with my purchase? Absobloodylutely. I have spent hours playing with it, watched numerous movies, and I still want to try more things out.

I'd suggest that potential buyers should be wary that HD Pjs won't come into their own until HD media is widely available. For me, the Xbox 360 launch (native 720p!) in November will be the beginning of this, so not long to go.

Cheers,
    Neil C

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,697
    Congrats and glad you're enjoying the Z3, I always said this was an underrated projector and kind of got ignored by many who automatically assumed the Panny 700 was better but how wrong they were (IMHO).

Andy.

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I'm glad your enjoying it, give these settings a try I've got the same player as you so they should give a good starting point although I use HDMI(which makes quite a difference.)
    use creative cinema as a a base, then contrast +6, brightness +2. I left the colour settings as they were as they looked pretty good to me.( I'm no expert mind)
    Iris -53, overscan -10, theatre black mode for the lamp.
    You should find that the blacks are a lot better and you should get plenty of shadow detail as well.
    If my memory serves me correctly before I had HDMI I used contrast +5 brightness -4, iris -53, overscan -10 and theatre black mode, I changed the contrast enhancement to level 1. This made a big difference to black levels.
    All these settings are based on the calibration settings that Rone posted in his thread, I've just tweaked them to suit the dvd player.
    I recomend getting DVE or avia to check your black levels though.

4. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Yes, we all should bow down to Rone as he has improved our Z3 viewing no-end with his experiments :)

5. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    neil c,

Glad your new purchase is proving to be a success. Think I may bite the bullet and go for one of these, I just hope it is a significant improvement over my aging (and failing) Sony HS1 - the specifications would indicate a significant improvement.

Sheks

6. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just finished watching the Lions match from this morning on the Z3. A few friends came over just to watch it on the big screen, and I think this is where PJs shine.

I connected Sky+ via S-Video, which was a big improvement over composite, but I'm still going to try RGB. I used the basic dynamic preset, since there was a fair bit of ambient light. I'm quite keen to improve on the black levels, thanks for the suggestions Rone, I'll try them out!

My HDMI lead turned up this morning so I'll give that a try in a little while.

On the lip-sync front, I've decided the bite the bullet and sell the D514 and replace it with a Yamaha RX-V450 with built in audio delay. I've found the V450 for £165 including Saturday delivery. It'll save a load of hassle with intergrating another box such as the Felston (limited inputs), and it will cost me less if I sell the D514 for a reasonable price.

Anyone want to sell a copy of Avia or DVE?

7. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I have the same player as you and a yamaha amp and I have no lip sync issues at all.

8. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Amen to that.

9. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me it's the PS3. Mainly because of Bluray movies. Although there is a good chance I'll buy the lot again (the Nintendo effort is cute again).

Cheers

10. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I agree, the ps3 will be unstoppable due to the blu ray playback. I don't think HD-DVD will stand much of a chance against blu ray.

11. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gingerone - I've now got the 850 connected via HDMI. Do you use the L1 or L2 HDMI enhancement setting? My eyes seem to prefer the L2 as it brings out more shadow details.

12. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    I cannot seem to choose between L1 and L2 on mine - are you connecting HDMI-HDMI or is it DVI-HDMI?

Weird.

13. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    HDMI to HDMI with a Samsung HD850, how and what are you connecting?

14. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Eep I was looking at the progressive option :D

Im not drunk honest guy ;)

According to the experts on here re calibrating, L1 is supposed to look better, though I guess that might vary from dvd player to dvd player - I believe L1 = standard and L2 = enhanced, but I think it only relates to the colour intensity??

15. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With my HD850 the L2 setting gives the shadows more details and generally makes things easier to see.

16. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    I'll give it a bash later then and see...do you set your DVD player to enhanced HDMI, out of interest?

17. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I use L1 I don't like the L2 setting sI don't think it looks as natural.
    I did try the enhanced HDMI from the dvd player but I felt the picture lacked detail.