1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 'New' TV is not new - what are my rights?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stinky985, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have (40 odd minutes ago) taken delivery of my Sony KV32fx66 ordered from Webelectricals.
    Now this TV is not new - the top was taped with off the shelf brown packaging tape, the remote control was not in a sealed bag, the manual bag has been opened and restuck, the 'bag' the tv is in is not taped together and the power cord is tied in a knot.
    After wating 12 hours for this to turn up today it is an understatement to say that i am NOT happy. :mad:
    What can i do?It is going back i know that! I paid for a new product and got an obviously not new one. Any advice welcome as they are getting a phone call 9am on the dot tomorrow.
    :mad:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First phone up Web Electricals. Politely explain you wish for a new replacement TV.

If they start getting narky, still be polite and end the call.

Contact Trading Standards, and send a professional letter to Web Electricals enclosed with the Trading Standards reply.

Nathan

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They may try and fob you off by saying the TV was "inpected" or something to that effect. Make sure you don't lose your cool... they'll use it to their advantage. Simply say that you were rather suprised that this happened and that you would like a new replacement sent out to you. If they are unwilling, request a full refund on the basis that the the TV is not new and ask that they collect the TV from you.

Did you buy with a CREDIT (not debit) card? If so, if they seem to be behaving uncooperatively you can inform them that your card company is happy to initiate a "Chargeback" [they will be as they too are in breach of contract here] this should scare the retailer as they will be hit with a massive fee should this go ahead.

Hope it works out for you.

4. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    at the moment i am so pi**ed off , i want to take my business elsewhere.
    It was all really strange with being delivered by a company called premier av direct from Soho i think. Should have twigged then really, but it was dark. 2 blokes in a van, full off kit.
    I will ask that they collect it and refund me - i bought on credit card- and will mention the fact that i will get them involved if i have to.
    For best part of £1000 i want a new tv as it is a big purchase for me.:mad:

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Can I ask

Have you tried the tv out?

As if you have

When you first plug it in and turn it on did it go to auto setup etc?

Also why not try it out as it might be a fault free set and you may regret it if your new set have lots of faults

6. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    no i have not tried it, i havent taken it out of the box.
    i opened the dodgy looking tape, saw the non wrapped remote, found the once opened and reselaed manual bag and then found the tied in a knot mains cable. that was more than enough.

I have no intention of trying it out.
    I want a brand new set which is what i ordered. From someone else.

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    stinky, I just noticed you're in Bath, if you manage to get refunded, perhaps you should go to JL in Cribbs Causeway?

8. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I better get a refund. No positive thinking - i will get a refund!
    i was going to go Weds as i need a new sofa too!
    How does this price match thing work?

9. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    See my post here regarding the price match: {removed URL, see below }:blush:

10. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i think you put in the URL for this post !!:laugh:

11. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  12. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stinky,
    While you're waiting, why don't you try it out? There are a few problems with the FX66, so if you have a goody, it might be worth keeping ;)

When mine arrived, it had obviously been opened too. Same thing - all the packets not sealed, and the power cable loose. It didn't go into auto-setup because there were already some tuned-in channels. In fact, the remote control supplied was the wrong one :eek: (But got that sorted the next day back at the shop I bought from).

HOWEVER, I convinced myself that this is the norm here in Ireland, because there are 2 terrestrial channels that broadcast in VHF and all TVs coming into Ireland need to have a special tuner fitted. This is done by certified engineers, and obviously explains the used state of my TV (the 2 VHF channels were the ones pre-tuned in).

I satisified myself that it wasn't really a 2nd-hand set when I found a "total running time" counter in the service menu which was only showing about an hour.

Maybe it's worth you checking your set? If it's showing a few hours used time, then it might well be a returned set or something. If not, and if it's an OK set (no buzzing etc.), you might save yourself a lot of hassle by keeping it.....