• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

My new TH42PX80 - I'm delighted......

JamieBee

Had it delivered by John Lewis yesterday morning and did the normal geeky thing of playing around with the settings for about 2 hours while the wife stood there frowning saying "it's just a telly !"

I am most impressed with it so far and I am so glad I went from LCD to Plasma. Little LCD issues I encountered with my two Toshiba LCDs I no longer have to put up with i.e. no pixelation when the TV is trying to reproduce a black area say in a darkened room in a film, no seeing the backlight down both edges of the screen and it getting more/less noticeable as you walk round the room and no having to leave the TV on standby 24/7 as there is no "Off" switch.

The screen itself seems to be a bit more reflective than my LCDs so I find myself drawing the curtains during the day sometimes but watching football in HD earlier and my recorded copy of Aquariavision off Sky Arts were faultless.

I have also found the SD pic on certain channels a little "softer" than my old LCDs BUT when I look at it and even from close up there are NO artefacts or haze around people/objects on the screen unlike my LCDs.

When I bought my LCDs in 2005 and 2006, screenburn was more of a concern on plasmas and as I did (not so much now) quite a bit of gaming I steered clear of the plasmas but I have taken the plunge and I'm a very happy man.

A few questions if I may :

1) I am sticking to either Cinema or Eco rather than Normal or Dynamic for the run in period. When I switch between some of them, the brightness, contrast and colour bars do not change so what is the difference between them ? I can clearly see that some are darker/brighter than others but why do the bars not move ?

2) I have set all of the inputs I do not use to "Skip" e.g. scart, component etc. Is there a way that you can make the TV go straight to HDMI1 (skyHD) when it turns on as it keeps defaulting to TV when I have no intention of using freeview ?

3) Can someone explain what the Advanced PC settings are as I connect to xbox 360 via VGA and wondered if any would be any use ?

4) If using a DVD player that upscales to 1080i shoul I set it to 720p, 1080i or Auto ? 720p as it's nearest native res or Auto ?

Thumbs up to John Lewis also for pricematching Sound & Vision and selling the TV for £678 with a 5 year warranty.

Lastly, thanks to all on here for recommending this set (it seems massively popular) and for the JL pricematch thread. If it wasn't for that I would have bought it off the internet and only had a 1y warranty.

travid

Distinguished Member
Mine is being delivered on Thursday, after delivering the wrong tv last Monday.

Totally understand the "geek" thing, and I can't wait to be one on Thursday

JL Cocked up the delivery but gave me £20 voucher as a goodwill gesture !

Mine was price matched to £699, so I think a phone call to undersales is due on Monday.

JL's CS is second to none, apart from the obvious, so I would have no hesitation in dealing with them again:smashin:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
1) Imagine them as "defaults", just stick to the duller settings for the first couple of hundred hours. They say you don't need to, but it won't hurt, IMO.

2) If the Sky box is already on, the telly should skip that bit. At least it does with my V+ box. If the box is off, mine does the same and I don't think you can change that.

3) Can't help you there mate.

4) Try all and see which you prefer.

mcdermott_c

Hi

Just got my px80 and looks good so far. I have set all my settings as per this site here although i'm now wondering whether these settings are meant to be applied after the 200 hours run in - can anyone confirm this or whether im safe to apply these settings straight away

does anyone have any other tips

cheers

chris

AlexMcIver

I think the preset setting also affect the gamma response. If you set them all identically then dynamic appears brighter but with crushed blacks, while normal appears duller but with more shadow detail.

matr69

Hi

Just got my px80 and looks good so far. I have set all my settings as per this site here although i'm now wondering whether these settings are meant to be applied after the 200 hours run in - can anyone confirm this or whether im safe to apply these settings straight away

does anyone have any other tips

cheers

chris

Yes these setting are fine, just avoid watching too many letterbox films during run or leaving static images on for too long.

I use the same settings except I have brightness 4 clicks left and this is where they will stay for eternity.

matr69

IA few questions if I may :

1) I am sticking to either Cinema or Eco rather than Normal or Dynamic for the run in period. When I switch between some of them, the brightness, contrast and colour bars do not change so what is the difference between them ? I can clearly see that some are darker/brighter than others but why do the bars not move ?

2) I have set all of the inputs I do not use to "Skip" e.g. scart, component etc. Is there a way that you can make the TV go straight to HDMI1 (skyHD) when it turns on as it keeps defaulting to TV when I have no intention of using freeview ?

3) Can someone explain what the Advanced PC settings are as I connect to xbox 360 via VGA and wondered if any would be any use ?

4) If using a DVD player that upscales to 1080i shoul I set it to 720p, 1080i or Auto ? 720p as it's nearest native res or Auto ?

1) Bang it on cinema mode, put it on warm and knock the contrast and brightness a couple of clicks left, leave it like that for the run in and after 200 hours you will probably just like it that way anyway, you have to give it a chance as the colours are pretty natural on these settings.

2) You go into the setup menu and set "power on prference" to AV, just make sure you have your AV unit on otherwise it will say no signal received.

3) I just stick to the same settings as above for Xbox, I do use HDMI with my xbox though. Not sure about these advanced settings.

4) Best bet here is to try it and see what looks best to you, I set my XBox 360 to 720p and that is definitely better than 1080i. Also have my V+ set to 720p as well, but many prefer 1080i

Cheers
Mat

mcdermott_c

Yes these setting are fine, just avoid watching too many letterbox films during run or leaving static images on for too long.

I use the same settings except I have brightness 4 clicks left and this is where they will stay for eternity.

ok thanks mat - Tv looking great so far well impressed with picture on SD

cheers

chris

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom