My New System - Sonos + B&W601S3 - Need Views on SONOS

DaveMark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All

Just popping on here for some views on the following

Recently wanting to get back into my hi-fi and as most my music is now in the "cloud" i went for the Sonos Connect Amp + B&W 601 S3's

Also re living my Vinyl love so added a Teac TN-300

C_7LGBy9cGUpe0XdkluLK_P7sKG3LukW1NtUIkVI8tI

Few changes im going to make

• Spikes for speakers
  • Replace Speaker Cable for better/bi wire
  • Replaced Phono cables for record deck to something not out of a xmas cracker lol
The main views i want is people who have the Sonos Connect Amp , it does not seem to want to drive the 601's as much as i though , don't get me wrong it goes loud , its not so much the volume but more the bass , i have had these speakers before hooked up to a standard amp (onkyo) and things were much richer.

Im tempted to send the SONOS back and buy the Marantz PM5005 i do think the SONOS is the weak link in terms of body of sound but views welcome.

But on the other hand the 601's are old now but always have loved them but maybe not the best to pair with the SONOS?

Thanks

Dave

Hi

I'm not a sonos owner but can tell you are right regarding what you hear.
You know this because of what you were hearing before when the same speakers were used with the another amp before. However, if that was in different room then the current room could attributed to what you are hearing.

Which onkyo amp was that? The Marantz PM5005 ( in terms of spec ) would at least need to be comparable with the onkyo to have similar or better sound. You may need to go a step above (PM6005) to achieve that, but they may sound different naturally anyway.

Speakers: If the drivers are still intact and the foam surround not deteriorated, then they should still be good to go - in my books they are anyway. I won't say they can't be better with newer speakers but if your speakers are in good working order, i'm not sure you will gain much benefit for the outlay. Just my opinion though.

If you send the Sonos back, you will still need a streamer to access your music. Have you thought what to replace to it with?

Hi

I'm not a sonos owner but can tell you are right regarding what you hear.
You know this because of what you were hearing before when the same speakers were used with the another amp before. However, if that was in different room then the current room could attributed to what you are hearing.

Which onkyo amp was that? The Marantz PM5005 ( in terms of spec ) would at least need to be comparable with the onkyo to have similar or better sound. You may need to go a step above (PM6005) to achieve that, but they may sound different naturally anyway.

Speakers: If the drivers are still intact and the foam surround not deteriorated, then they should still be good to go - in my books they are anyway. I won't say they can't be better with newer speakers but if your speakers are in good working order, i'm not sure you will gain much benefit for the outlay. Just my opinion though.

If you send the Sonos back, you will still need a streamer to access your music. Have you thought what to replace to it with?

Thanks for the reply, cant remember exact model number of the onkyo , and if i was to get rid of the SONOS amp and replace it i would just get a SONOS connect (non amplified version) to plug into the amp.

I did check out the 6005

IMG_4542.JPG
Just swapped the SONOS with a PM6006

Ha ha what a difference !!!! Speakers are back !!!!

Oh Happy Days. A Christmas miracle :D :thumbsup:

Enjoy

I'm just about to do exactly the same, I have a Sonos Connect amp running some Dalis ,Sonos is a great system but it just doesn't sound like a proper Hifi . Im going back to a PM6006 and an apple tv to stream from my iMac and iTunes

Last edited:
I've got a Sonos Connect plugged into a PM6005 (older version of the PM6006) and it sounds great.

Happy listening :smashin:

I've got a Sonos Connect plugged into a PM6005 (older version of the PM6006) and it sounds great.

Happy listening :smashin:

Yeah that's my plan but at the moment enjoying listing to my vinyal

Was going to suggest a Sonos Connect into your choice of amp myself. Agree the Connect Amp isn't the best. I have one in the bedroom with some Monitor Audio Bronze 1's and if it were in a room I do more listening in I'd have changed it ages ago. As it happens it's used more like a fancy bedside radio so I live with it but much prefer the sound from a Connect plugged into my Rotel amp in the living room. I even much prefer the sound of the Sonos Play 5 in the kitchen!

Think about sticking with Sonos, IMO it's a fantastic system but be warned, should the bug bite you it's pretty damn addictive....

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom