my new system - Marantz CR603

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Simba, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Hi,

Well after a while of which direction to go and what kind of replacemet system to get I took delivery of the marantz cr603 on Monday and must say its AMAZING! Wasnt expecting it to blow my socks off :) no way does it sound like the output is coming from such a small box. Lovely detailed music that feels alive.

It looks much much nicer in the flesh than in the pics also, gorgeous in black!

I have been listening to FLAC files via USB and its sounds wonderful, the DBB feature also adds additional body and depth to the audio and was surprised how naturally sounding the result is, not your typical EQ preset sort of thing! Being able to fast forward in USB mode would have been good though if not fundamental.

The display is also very nice, not a static display but a very smooth scrolling one and responsive too.

Pairs perfectly with the 686's.....time to update the sig :)

Still to update the firmware and get the free airplay update :D looking forward to getting the power line adapters now.

Will get a pic or two up later :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Glad that you are happy with your new toy and well done for putting up a review - I think its the first on MCR603 on here :thumbsup:.

Besides the airplay, will you be using the network for streaming from a pc/Nas/ext HDD at all? Interested to know if it will do so from media streamers like Twonky media, Monkey, etc

DD

3. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Hi there and thank you :)

I will be looking to get it setup for network streaming. The Mrs should particularly like this as she enjoys using the laptop in bed so having control from that would be great where as it will probably be AirPlay for me.

I will explore the options you mentioned and see how it goes.

4. peritus

peritus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Glad you're enjoying the Marantz; it really is a superb little system

Like you I wasnt expecting the results when I demo'd mine at home as it was to replace a NAD C355BEE with an Arcam CD72 CDP and MA RX2 speakers!

It literally blew my socks off :)

Now all you need to do is upgrade your speakers to the B&W 685's or the M/A RX1's or RX2's and you'll really hear the system at its best :smashin: :p

For me the best way to sort the streaming was to upgrade the CR603 to AirPlay and then use a Netgear universal ethernet bridge

With this plugged in and my iMAC playing iTunes; streaming couldnt be easier. It'll also find your PC (if you use a PC) and will use the Windows Media Player as the 'music server'...

5. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Lolzzz you read my mind regarding the 685's haha .... It's been something on my mind for a while actually as to how much better they will be but I think something on the lines of a much fuller deeper sound if that makes sense.

Can you tell me more about the Netgear Ethernet bridge please. Is it basically a homeplug/ powerline adapter or wifi/ Ethernet link?

I've got a pair of TP Link av200 adapters on their way for the marantz.

6. peritus

peritus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The 685's will give you hell of a better soundstage immediately. They REALLY do make a huge difference over the 686's BUT if you want to better that then have a look for a 2nd hand pair of M/A RX2's as they're absolutely brilliant :)

Re the Netgear ethernet bridge; it's a wireless receiver so it's plugged into the mains and then in to the CR603 via an ethernet cable and it's all good to go via wifi :smashin:

I found that homeplugs werent as reliable and sound was a little compressed at times; the ethernet bridge suits me just fine :)

7. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    That's interesting, i thought it would be the other way round with homeplugs having access to more bandwidth (?) ...

Il have to experiment... :)

I will pretend I never read your speakers comments yet as my next obsession will most certainly head to this direction... Oh wait i read them again :D

8. peritus

peritus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I thought that but they didnt work as well for me

Thing is now I've the system connected via an extension so homeplugs arent really an option now anyway...

They DO work via extension leads but it is best to have them straight into the mains

9. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Cool, what is the model number of your netgear bridge btw... I have a netgear router so if the homeplugs arent up to scratch then I may need it ...

10. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Homeplugs do not work with surge protected ext leads - apparantly, but do with some.
    I have one connected to one of these Master/Slave Extension Lead.. Works fine and has been for over a year.

11. DIBSTER

DIBSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    As a former M-CR603 owner can I offer a bit of advice regarding firmware updates. When there is one due, and you switch on the unit, you will get a message saying updates available. My advice is to wait at least 10-15 minutes or so before going through the update process. My experience, and of other M-CR603 owners too, is that doing it straight away can lead to the unit freezing up. I had mine hardwired with an ethernet cable and the updates took a total of about 25 mins to complete fully. One other downside to the updates was that after each update, all my stored radio stations (all internet ) were wiped and I had to re-enter them again. That was pretty annoying to say the least.

12. peritus

peritus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Never had any issues re firmware updates. All done via wifi and took around 20-30mins etc...

I do agree however that the internet radio stations being re-set every time an update is done is fairly annoying but TBH most of my radio comes via iTunes now anyways...

Re ethernet bridge; this is the one I've got: Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Works superbly and it's only small so doesnt look unsightly etc...

13. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    thanks dibster - yeh i had read about these experiences, and thanks for letting me know.

that looks like a very nice piece of kit.

i shall keep this in mind.

14. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    the marantz died today.

i was listening to internet radio, heard a small pop and off it went. i had connected to a surge protected extension lead 'just in case' :rolleyes:... double checked the fuse on the power lead also but it was fine.

only had it for 6 days....purchased from Superfi. Anyone had any experiences of dealing with Superfi...hope i wont have any problems or delays in getting it replaced....

just reading up on customer opinions and aside from positive comments on fast delivery and order processing, their customer service appears to be the opposite....at least the fault has happened within 7 working days of having it.....

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.superfi.co.uk

i think i will get a refund from them and order from Peter Tyson instead....reading up about Superfi has just made me totally worried about the customer service to expect in the event of a future problem outwith the 7 working days from obtaining the product.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  15. Dazzor

Dazzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    Simba,

Sorry to hear your Marantz has gone pop so soon, hopefully you'll have new unit soon.

Anyway, the purpose of my post is to simply ask....Are you saying the micro system makes your 686's sing better/as good as the Mira? Or is this for a second system? I ask as I see you're selling the Rega in the classifieds.

I understand all the tech benefits, versatility and it's unimposing size are all plus points...But is the Marantz really up there with the Rega in terms of SQ and presence?

Rgds
    Darren

16. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Hi Darren,

yeh i cant believe my luck with the Marantz to be honest - not a good start and to top it off i have to try out Superfi's customer relations. Any opinions on Superfi VS Peter Tyson? Im tempted to just get a refund and buy from PT to save myself any future hassle...

thanks for your question also. i do find the marantz a lovely system but what i did find is that on normal settings the marantz doesnt give the level of bass/ mid that the Mira gives - not sure how else to explain it. the marantz is a bit brighter in terms of sound. what i like though is that it has tone controls and the DBB feature, which i like, adds body to the music. It gets very close to the Mira. I guess by using the manual tone control i could adjust it further but i like the one touch setting - maybe the magic box has worked its charm on me lol.

hard to say which one is better, the Marantz is very close but I think the Mira sounds more refined overall.

i got the marantz as i wanted a replacement system mainly due to size - the seperates were taking up to much space. the marantz sits nicely taking up hardly any space. i also wanted some 'wireless'/ airplay feature to sync with the PC/ iPhone and this does it all.

surprised the Mira didnt get much interest so thanks for that. :)

17. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    replacement being organised via Superfi - should be collected tomorrow and once they have confirmed its faulty i should get another one sent - 1 week turn around :rolleyes:

i had better check the speakers are still fine!

18. DIBSTER

DIBSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I bought my M-CR603 from Superfi, along with speakers and a Pro-Ject phono stage. I bought from the shop rather than online.

After a couple of days or so, on a whim I bought a different, lot cheaper phono amp on Ebay, with a view to getting my money back (£180) from Superfi with the returned Pro-Ject. I spoke to the main help line and was informed that as I'd bought the phono amp over the counter rather than online then I wasn't entitled to return/full refund as it wasn't faulty. Fair enough I thought, its my own silly fault, live and learn etc. However, I went back to the shop the following day, spoke to the manager face to face and he took the Pro-Ject back and gave me a full refund, no hassle at all. I'd certainly shop there again.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  19. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Gutted to hear of your drama's Simba. Here's hoping for a quick turnaround on a replacement and it was a one off fault.

20. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    yeh tell me about it! just when i got the system setup properly the way i wanted and starting to integrate it the way i want it dies. its very strange though....i even tried connecting a different power cable just to make sure.

21. johnloughray

johnloughray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been looking to buy a new music player. I have narrowed it down to either CR603 or the Denon Ceol.
    For looks the CR603 is top of the list what was putting me off was there was no wifi and i would have to hard wire from my router. Am i right in thinking that this Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter just plugs in to the network port on the CR603 and this will give me wireless capabilities.

I want the wifi as i want to stream from my laptop or NAS network.

Another stumbling block with CR603 is that any online review i read seem to gear up for use with apple product which i detest and don't use.

The Denon Ceol has the wifi but i don't like the white or black finishes.

Any pointers would be helpful.

22. peritus

peritus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The 603 doesn't have to use AirPlay; before I downloaded it I played all music with WMP on my pc which the system picked up as the music server

Yes; the Netgear is just plug and play. Plug into the 603 via an Ethernet cable, plug into mains, let it boot up and find your wifi network the switch the 603 on, select Internet radio and if you can find stations, you're good to go :)

23. johnloughray

johnloughray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent, that's just about swung it for me, Dose the DAB radio need an Ariel connection.

24. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    yes - there is an aerial supplied.

25. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    great none in stock now! - black

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  26. johnloughray

johnloughray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Same here, got my name in for the next batch that comes into the shop. The guy recond their distributor were getting them in yesterday but could not say when they'd be dispatched to him. Fingers crossed.

27. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    the website is showing mid december so i think its probably imminent. the silver is in stock, available to buy over the phone but not online just now.

hope its going to be before xmas anyway.

28. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Just spoke with Superfi and have been advised that they contacted Marantz and the next shipment isnt due until mid january now..... ARGH!

shall i just get a refund and order from Peter Tyson?

Superfi was £360 with a 10% discount and PT is £389....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  29. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    actually i am going to have get a refund as i want the free airplay upgrade.

30. peritus

peritus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Go for a refund deffo

If you're still struggling to get one speak to Gavin at Sevenoaks in Preston and he'll sort you with one :)