1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new subs stopped working!!!

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by MSYam, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got myself a nice new Boston 10" sub about 2 weeks ago, which sounds great. Got in my car this morning and it's not working! :confused: My amp is on cos it's lit up, all connections are in place too. Does anyone have any idea what it could be. I have definately not overpowered the sub so it hasnt blown.

Theres speaker does vibrate slightly but not enough to create any sound at all, which probably confuses things more.

2. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    have you tried connecting a different speaker up to the amp to check it's definatly the speaker? If not i'd do that firs,any speaker will do just make sure it's not up to loud if you connect a normal speaker

3. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    also check your rca cables aren't broken or loose

4. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Also check for a broken connection on the phono (RCA) cable(s) for the audio side. I had the same problem and it turned out to be this problem.

5. Mason @ B&M

Mason @ B&M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try pressing the cone in gently. If you cannot move it or you hear a scraping noise them you've got a voice coil problem.

If all these other tests fail take the sub out and measure the DC resistance across the positive and negative terminals using a multimeter, it should read approximately teh same as the voice coil impedance. If it reads zero then your coil is broken.

Also do the same on the sub box binding posts, if it reads zero it could either be a sub fault or one of the internal wires could have fallen off.

6. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning!

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

When I got in my car to drive home last night the sub was still off, yet half way home it came back on! Everything fine!... until...

This morning on the way to work, it was on and off all the time??? So I turned it my head unit off for about 10 mins, gave it a rest, the switched it back on - all fine again, back on!

So I know it's not a problem with the sub, cos when it's on it sounds excellent. So, I think it's either an RCA cable, or my amp could be dodgy. What do you guys reckon?

7. Mason @ B&M

Mason @ B&M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be:

RCA cable
    Speaker cable
    Remote turn on lead for the amp at some point
    Bad earth on the amp

Give your cables a good overhaul and you should be fine.

8. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, dont want to sound nasty but you get what you pay for. I have installed more "car stereo's" then i care to remember.Its always true, i fitted one for myself about 6 years ago. Consisting of 2 amps 2 woofers 4 speakers Eq etc and have not changed a fuse since i bought it. If you are still having problems then please post your problem and i will try to help you .