My New PTAE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by smicker, Aug 12, 2002.

1. smicker

smicker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got my new AE100 last night, this is my first projector and I think its fantastic,(sorry Iam a little excited)
    I was projecting it onto a wall above the fire place, but after looking at a few threads on AV Forums on Dulex Icestorm 5 & 6 I bought myself a peice of 6 X 4 MDF and painted it with number 6 and was absolutely chuffed to bits. I will spend the money saved on some good quality leads. If anyone out there is thinking of buying a screen just try this before you buy, yes its a bit of hassle to lift the board out it takes about 2 mins to set up and it wont break or wrinkle. Still trying to work out best set up for sky and PS2 ?????
    I have a Arcam DV88 AVR100 PS2 Sky (with no svideo out) Was thinking of progressive scan upgrade but am unsure if Pal NTSC hack or if I should go down the lines of an Iscan???? Also I guess I should go for componet if so can any one rocomend where to go.

Cheers Smicker

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Welcome to the club :)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    A pro-v might be a cheaper option, after all an iscan costs nearly as much as your projector.

4. Joshm74

Joshm74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine just bought the PT-AE100E a few weeks ago and tried the MDF screen thingy but couldn't get great results. Having said that I am not sure whether he used the correct paint. Anyways he now has shelled out £250 for a proper screen and the results are truly amazing! Definitely worth the investment - especially if you're gonna spend £1300 on the projector anyway. Just waiting for a few more pay cheques before I splash out on mine :)

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent about 100pounds on various "cheap" screen options.:(

I am not saying they cant work well but they were not appropriate for my circumstances.

I am buying a proper screen.:)

6. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just painted my MDF sheet using a shade between IceStorm 5 & 6 and it work GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Blacks are Awesome.

Best Regards
    Amelia

7. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Amelia, did you have to get them to make up both Icestorm 5 & 6, and then mix it yourself? I seem to recall that they won't (or can't) "interpolate" between colours when mixing one up. Or did you just get Icestorm5 and add some white....

Juts off to the timber yard to get my screen components...

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May add a little to the overall cost, if you're bothered, but buy a tin of each 5 & 6 and then mix them !!

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....oh I realise that - just seems a waste of that paint. Mind, the screen's coming in a bit pricey:

4" x 1" Timber for frame: £7
    Blackout cloth: £9
    Black velvet for surround: Free (friend had a load left over from something else)

:D

10. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard :)

Dulux in Australia don't have Ice Storm. I was going to get them to try and match the Paint as per the IceStorm colour chart, but I ended up borrowing the Complete Dulux (Australia) Colour range Folder, including bases, tints etc. They had around 20 true shades of gray. What I did was compare the Blacks and Whites (with the DVD player paused) directly on the colour chart. Once I picked the gray I simply got them to mix it.

If IceStorm 6=1 and IceStorm 5=10 then I would say the gray I picked was 4. I guess what I am trying to say is the shade I picked is leaning a little towards Ice Storm 6. Having said that, if I were to only ever use my PJ in complete darkness then I would have picked Ice Storm 5 as the Black were great.

Best Regards
    Amelia

11. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. New here, but not to forums in general. I wasn't really in the market for a projector, but I notice on the techtronics website the PT-AE100 is going for £1084 with a free screen (not a great one I'm sure, but there you go). I just wanted to ask is it worth it? Do projectors still have problems producing blacks? I watched a bit of Fast & The Furious on a friends Infocus LP725, and when Vince jumps in the truck at the beginning, there was little or no detail around him in the darkness.

Also noticed the reliability poll.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan.

12. snelly

snelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't forget that Techtronics prices do not include VAT :eek:

This is still a good price (though bettered by others) t- and a bonus that it comes with a screen although who knows how good this is. Additionally you can get any Panasonic gear there on interest free for 2 yrs.

BUT I would be wary of getting something that has the PT-AE100s reputation from any dealer that does not have a good record for after sales service - search forums on techtronics!

I'd rather buy from somewhere you feel will be supportive should the wost happen.

Your call mate - but the 0% would be nice

Tim

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Black is the bete noir of the LCD PJ, sorry about that, it's my 10 year old son's fault. He only speaks in puns. I'd try and see something like F&F on it before buying if you're fussy about it. It's a bargain priced PJ, and it's not the best, but you'd spend a lot more to get much better.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    If anyone is interested I have my old 6ft pull down Draper screen for sale. I've now got an 8ft electric (silly money :mad: ).

If anyone is interested it is in first class condition and I paid about £200 for it. I'm letting it go for £75.

15. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh! :eek: Thanks Tim. I don't usually visit that site, so hadn't clocked the NET pricing policy. Guess it was a little TOO low.

I can't believe the amount of stuff on these forums about this particular product. I've a few other questions but will look to see if they've been answered already before asking again.

Thanks.

16. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    i was projecting mine onto a white wall untill i bought a 7 x 5ft sheet of MDF. I painted it white and my Dad said the picture looked 70% better than before. I definatly wont be buying a screen when white MDF looks this damn good

BTW the sheet cost me £6 from Homebase and i used Matt Paint

17. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH, the only reason I was thinking of a screen was so that when the PJ is off, there isn't an enormous white block on the living room wall. If you're lucky enough to have it in a seperate room, I see your point. Having said that, I've just noticed Amelia's comment about seeing really good blacks on her painted MDF, and I think that's quite important.

Anyway, I can't find my other queries answered elsewhere, so I hope you don't mind my picking other's brains with the following:

I would be projecting approx 10-11 feet, and would be viewing from approx 9-10 feet away. I've read that this is reasonable, but what is the 'screen door' problem that others describe?

I notice everyone's got a reasonably quick pc. Is this necessary to do the firmware upgrades or something? I have got a PC, but it's for studying stuff for work, not part of my HT setup.

What's all this Pro-v stuff? Is that relating to using a PC for HT?

What's the chance of burn-in problems? For instance, I would be using it with an Xbox, so even mid-game, things such as the health meter/score/whatever are fairly static on the screen. Do LCD's even suffer burn-in at all?

I always seem to see PJ's sited higher than you would a TV. Do you encounter angle problems if you want the image bottom at about 3 feet from the floor? (Particularly as a ceiling mount would be preferable)

In the above scenario, the PJ would be directly above my seated position. What's the noise like?

Finally, (going slightly off topic- is it possible to route the NTL cable box to 2 different video sources? ie TV & proj, for normal programmes on one, films/sport on the other? I'm guessing some sort of video-out splitter, then just choose the display manually.

Thanks v. much for your help.
    Dan.

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Using a PC allows 1:1 pixels mapping thus bypassing the onboard scaler and deinterlacer on the panny. The PC will do a better job. Check the HTPC forun for more info.

Screen door is the gap between pixels and tends to be more visible the closer you get tp the screen/size ratio. Whether it annoys you or not is the question ; I see it but I can tune it out in my BRAIN.

PRO-V is an offboard unit for deinterlacing and scaling some people are having success : it will not allow 1:1 pixle matching.

LCDs do not suffer burn in from static images under reasonable conditions.

The projector does have some fan noise but is considered reasonably good in this department. Its worse than a PS2 but better than your average PC.

19. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Dan,

I got very confused when I started reading these forums by all the references to "screen door" - it only became clear when I realised that it has nothing to do with screens and nothing to do with doors - at least, it doesn't if you're not American.

Have you seen those lightweight extra outer doors fitted to some American rural homes? A sort of wooden framework with a very fine wire mesh stretched over it. I imagine they're used to keep out insects. Anyway, imagine looking at a cinema screen with one of those doors superimposed on the image - viola! Screen door effect. Like having a network of thin black criss-cross lines all across the picture.

As Keith says, some people find it more of a problem than others. Some users like to defocus their picture very slightly to make it less obvious; others - me included - find that the brain simply tunes it out.

As always, the best thing, if possible, is to see a demonstration for yourself. You could well find yourself wondering what all the fuss is about.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

20. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks guys. I need to check whether the place up the road stocks it, I'll ask them for a demo. I might even take the DVD/Xbox in for a play.

'Screen door'- Ohhhh I see! Now I understand.

Bought LOTR last night. Now imagining what THAT would look like on a Proj....!:eek:

Cheers,
    Dan.

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Yes LOTR was blinding on mine the other night. My missus who previously was anti-homecinema is now going on about black out blinds and darker room colour....sweet!

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yeah, technophobic wives seem not to be an issue once it's all running, except it cost me as much again in sofas.... Perhaps there should be a sofa forum

23. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...I nearly fell of my ladder when I said "what this room really needs is a projector", and my wife said "Yeah, why not!"