• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My New Pocket HD Camcorder - Toshiba Camileo S10

Ak-01

Now then gents.....got one of these yesterday....still not opened it but once i do, i'll be posting links of clips i've made.

However, just wanted to know, if there is anyone on the forums who has one of these already would like to know how you're getting on with it and any recommendations on settings etc.

Thanks

PS - Think I got a good deal on it too....£99 inclusive of 4GB card. But would also like to know if the 4GB is standard in the box?

Ak-01

Got it from Laptops Direct went to the store to collect. I bought two, one for my mate and tried blagging an 8GB card but they weren't having any of it

I've just not opened it yet, not got round to doing so but once out, you'll be callin me Speilberg!!!

Will post some links up as soon as i do get to grips with it.

4GB - apparently going to give me an hour's worth of footage. May go for the 32GB in a month's time...cheapest place to buy??

Ak-01

Ok...got the camera on charge...looking to get it goin later today....just been reading through a few external forums and on here too....will editing my clips be a pain on my Netbook?

I'm using the new Acer Aspire One D150 - 1GB Ram (gonna upgrade to 2GB soon) - 160GB RAM - i have viewed apple movie trailers and other ppls 1080 filming clips from youtube on this netbook and other than loading taking longer than normal, all seemed well.

Also, should i use the software given with the camcorder or does anybody have any suggestions for any other software to use for editing?

Ak-01

YouTube - Test

That's my full HD test yesterday....I also have another clip but that was just a open, click and shoot and cant remember the settings on the camera, and you have to switch the 'Image Stabilization' on every time you use the camera.

I'm having difficulty playing my videos on quicktime. After a few seconds the clip just stops, sound continues but gettin nowhere.

They are coming as .MOV from the camcorder....any suggestions for another player? I've tried VLC but no joy there also.

Also....converted the .MOV to an AVI but thats using AVS converter from YouTube...but now the AVI is playing on Windows media with sound only and no picture?

Tenex

Distinguished Member
.mov is Apple's Quicktime standard. Have you downloaded the latest free Quicktime player from Apple? Quicktime

I use a Mac so can't help with other PC software.

I must say I'm impressed with the quality of that clip especially as it was on a slightly overcast day but were you behind glass as there are some very odd reflections and artefacts? I can see my miniDV needs to be changed…

Ak-01

I must say I'm impressed with the quality of that clip especially as it was on a slightly overcast day but were you behind glass as there are some very odd reflections and artefacts? I can see my miniDV needs to be changed…

Yeh i was behind a glass window....i too was impressed!!! :)

Only thing bothering me now is this playing the clips on my netbook...i've downloaded the new version of Quicktime but again the same problem.

Maybe I should start a new thread on this issue?

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Netbooks are notoriously underpowered could that be the issue? HD files are generally pretty large, how big is this one?

Ak-01

This clip is 30MB but i think i am going to experiment later on with it set to 720 instead of 1080....and see if that will play on the quicktime player in full without faults.

Ak-01

ok so i've tried a 720p clip and still getting the same thing...video playback on Quicktime is choppy and not good.

However i think the Netbook isn't the real base to view and edit the clips, not enough power i guess.

I've tried the same clip on a desktop which has a good spec and that works fine.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Oh I meant the graphics chip versus the CPU. It may be the graphics that are letting you down rather than the CPU as a 30Mb file shouldn't be a problem for any regular desktop or laptop but Netbooks are to different criteria in terms of both price and battery life etc. As you said it plays OK on the desktop PC.

Ak-01

I think i have decided to go for the following option....

Upload the clips tht may not need editing directly to youtube....and those that do need doing, i'll use the desktop computer.

I only just bought this netbook last week so i'll be keeping this now. Unless next week if, once the 2GB RAM has been ugraded, things change??

Intel GMA 950 graphic chip set - thats the internal graphics card, if you know anything about tht?

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Oddly enough I do - that was included in a few laptop and desktop Macs a couple of years back. It should indeed be more than capable of playing a Quicktime movie. Did you have any other apps open at the same time?

Ak-01

Prior to writing this reply, i have shut down all the applications, checked on windows task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and no processes or app's running, then ran the clip again...still no joy!!!

I got the unit from Comet....now i know they are B*****ds when it comes to returning stuff.

Getting a bit frustrating now.

And i think you are my only friend on this thread Tenex!!!

ha ha

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Well I think I'd suggest moving the specific playback query to a PC/Netbook forum as I really don't have any recent PC experience and you may more and better support there. But going back to the GMA950, its certainly capable of doing it and more but I guess the mobo support chips and cache are also relevant. It sounds as if the cache is too small if its stuttering.

Ak-01

I've put a new thread into the PC Graphics section...lets see what happens.

I just tried an Apple movie trailer in 1080 HD...let it load fully, and put it to full screen...still choppy.

Youtube is the same (choppy & stuttering) on full screen HD too....i give up!!!

paulgrinny

Standard Member
Now then gents.....got one of these yesterday....still not opened it but once i do, i'll be posting links of clips i've made.

However, just wanted to know, if there is anyone on the forums who has one of these already would like to know how you're getting on with it and any recommendations on settings etc.

Thanks

PS - Think I got a good deal on it too....£99 inclusive of 4GB card. But would also like to know if the 4GB is standard in the box?

Hi mate, i have owned my a few weeks now, you got a great deal there, i paid £ 130.00 from the high street with no 4gb card

Ak-01

Excellent mate...so looks like i did get a bargain.

Just want to know, whats your best setting on Full HD? And how do you put image stabalisation onto permanent?

Any issues of uploading to ur pc and editing?

paulgrinny

Standard Member
Excellent mate...so looks like i did get a bargain.

Just want to know, whats your best setting on Full HD? And how do you put image stabalisation onto permanent?

Any issues of uploading to ur pc and editing?

I use full HD, the stabalisation has to be set everytime u turn on camileo.
I have an I Mac and use i movie to edit.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom