1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leigh h, Jun 1, 2003.

1. leigh h

leigh h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after two months waiting for my Hitachi 42pma400e Plasma screen from Unbeatable.co.uk i Finally have the screen I paid under £2450 for this screen and it was worth the very frustrating wait I nearly gave up and searched around but other companys didn't have any stock either so well I had to wait in the end.
    I would like to say thanks to this forum this screen is relatively unknown but I was able to find out enough info on the screen for connections etc I have Sky connected RGB composite sync, Pioneer 757 connected via one of the D subs which can be configured RGB or Component, and my Xbox connected using the HIdefinition connector using component to the second D sub, well I am over the moon I didn't have to buy any boxes to connect the screen up I got the screen for a bargain price and I have after viewing Pioneers and Panasonics in the same room the best picture quality in my opinion, Sky I have not found a fault as yet DVD well what can I say, and Xbox is fantastic.
    When it comes down to buying a Plasma screen I would say go to people like Nexnix and view all the screens you can to decide on the best picture for you, and then search this forum for invaluable information about your Plasma purchase.
    Ps the Fan is a there it is a friendly hum but not that bad and the quiet Pioneer the next best plasma in my opinon was another £1200.
    Cheers Leigh

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    I think it displays $ky's output so well that it's easy to spot the low bitrate encoding.

3. aerialman

aerialman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, glad you like the screen, maybe you can help me as I am considering a 400 myself.

1) I intend to connect DVD by component and assume their is no problem.

2) I want to connect Freeview (same as Sky I suppose) can you explain how you did this as the 400 doesn't take Scart.

3) How exactly have you connected your console?

4) My PC outputs DVI and VGA, I know I can connect VGA to the 400, but is DVI a superior signal, would I be better getting a screen that can accept DVI?

Thanks

4. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Hi leigh,

Glad to here you're pleased with your Hitachi plasma :clap:

i will be ordering mine in about two weeks time,can't wait too enter the plasma world :D

dvd

5. leigh h

leigh h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aerialman You can connect up the freeview by using a Scart out to RGB+Composite sync lead which you can get from Keene or Lektropacks, and in the plasma menu it gives av1 the option for RGB or Composite.
    This is great because all you need to do when you want to watch a video when watching your freeview in RGB is press av1 and it will come up on the screen av1 (composite) and you just press play on the video simple.
    I bought a x box Hidefinition connection from MX2 which outputs component and bought a lead from keene the same lead that I used for my DVD component/RGB to mini dsub and just sit back and play.

6. aerialman

aerialman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, how much is the lead, and is this the same with the X-Box i.e. is it a componet to D Sub cable.

Can you confirm that you haven't had to buy and converter boxes.

Also, any issues with the noise from fans or humming?

Will be buying one in the morning at a very good price, just making sure as I am a bit of an AV novice.

Thanks

7. leigh h

leigh h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aerialman the leads you get with the x box are not needed they are straight rca's both ends this is why you need to get a component to d sub cable, because the rca component connection on the plasma you will use for the sky/ freeview (rgb comp sync).
    So rgb is no good for the d subs because the horizontal scan rate is to high for any boxes ie Dr Syms, but as you can configure the d subs to component this sorts out you DVD if you dvd has component outs that is and using the x boix hi def connection which outputs component you are sorted.
    The component to d subs were £25 all in my leads cost me nearly £80.
    The fan noise as I said is present and I would prefer it quieter but for the picture quality and the price I paid for the screen it is the only down point I hope the fans might run in and quiten down a bit but I also have a fish tank that makes more noise.
    With these connections you dont need any interface boxes and I would have had to spend money on new leads what ever screen I bought.
    Leigh