My New Pioneer PDP LX5090 Has Died

sjsp123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

This is my first post to the Forum and a sad one. :confused:

Can anyone help or know what could be wrong with my pio lx5090?

It does not come out of Standby anymore.

The red standby indicator in the bottom left hand corner does not respond to the remote control and come out of standby.

If I press and hold the standby button on the left hand side of the TV it eventually comes out of standby. The red light changes to a flashing blue light.

I have tried changing inputs from the remote or side panel buttons but it still does not respond/switch on.

Checked the manual page 84 in the troubleshooting section

It indicates the internal power circuits have gone into some sort of protective mode and I should remove the power for 1 minute and try again. This did not work so I left power of all weekend and still no difference.

Has anyone had this problem before or knows what is wrong with my new baby?

It is not even a month old!

I purchased it from TLC Broadcast and took delivery December 22nd 2008

On Saturday 17th January 2009 - I was left with a nice looking black picture frame :(

Phoned TLC on Monday and was advised that it was over the 14 day period and that they would contact Pioneer to send out an engineer to checkout/confirm the fault.

The Pioneer engineer contacted me today to advise that they cannot come until next Monday - this leaves me approx 9 days with no TV?

What am I going to do? I am in despair. It's like my best friend has died :confused:

Has anyone had similar experiences and where do I stand? As it is less than a month old, I don't want the TV to be repaired if it is an internal fault. I hate to see it being opened up and what else could go wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me...

Last edited:
im currently awaiting my pio-500A and afriad I cannot offer any advice.
However, being so new, I would contact TLC and have a friendly chat with them.

They may say "hang on your doing that wrong...." or "we've had a couple of cases of these, heres how to go about a replacement....".

Just my 2pence

I am currently in the same boat as you.

My 5090 is four months old and has a "pixel" problem. The authorised Pioneer agents came to inspect it last Monday and, after running some tests on it, confirmed that it required a new panel.

They took it away with them and said they would order a replacement panel as soon as they got back to their workshop.

Well, after one week, I have heard nothing so I called them today and they now say that they cannot order a replacement panel unless they get authority from Pioneer first!!! (even though last week they said they would go ahead and order a new one).

They said today that they are still running tests on it and need to wait for further instructions from Pioneer.

I am so fed up. Only been without it for one week (so far) but seems like an eternity, I don't even have any other TV's in the house so cannot watch ANYTHING!

Looks like I will be waiting for several more days yet before I hear anything more.

Not happy with Pioneer or their "approved" repair agents! :(

Well my digital tuner has just died after three weeks, can't find any info on this one!

Thanks everyone fro replying.

MrNPG, did you get any feedback about your 5090. Are they going to replace it?

Thanks everyone fro replying.

MrNPG, did you get any feedback about your 5090. Are they going to replace it?

Not heard anything today.

Will give them until Friday and call them again.

Definately looks like I won't have it back until at least later next week, which will be almost three weeks. It sounds so sad but three weeks without a TV really sucks!

Guess I should learn to be more patient :rolleyes:

OMG !! 3 weeks. I am now going to cry.

I don't want to wait 3 weeks. Will update everyone on Monday when the engineer has been.

My wife is happy though as it means that she can spend more time "communicating" with me !! :)

Last edited:
OMG !! 3 weeks. I am now going to cry.

I don't want to wait 3 weeks. Will update everyone on Monday when the engineer has been.

My wife is happy though as it means that she can spend more time "communicating" with me !! :)

Hopefully, I think you may have better luck than me.

If yours is a psu problem then the engineer might be able to replace the psu onsite when he visits you, hopefully won't have to take the TV away with him, unlike with mine.

Fingers crossed for you!

I informed my local trading standards officer fairly early on with problems with my Samsung and Im glad I did... for it went on for three months....!!
He (my Trading Standards Officer) more or less held my hand throughtout the chrisis... asking me to keep him informed at every step.....!!!

He told me where my dealer and Samsung were mis-quoting the consumer law to me... untill in the end after two (second-hand) replacements I sent a recorded delivery letter to the MD with a C.C. to my TSO. and I got a very quick phone call from the MD saying they were replacing my unit with a brand new one the very next day.

Very, Very happy with my Local Trading Standards Office... they are no longer the tooth-less Tiger of yester-year...!!

John

The engineer confirmed it is faulty and am waiting replacement from the dealer. I have been told there are none in stock yet. :(

It has new been 2 weeks with no TV.

Hi mate,

I had some pixel problems with my 2 months old Pio lx 5090 and got a new one replaced with it today.

Can you describe your problem in details,please. I have posted mine on the Pioneer 9G owners thread part deux. You can check it. I want to learn if that problem is usual on these 9th generation panels.

Cheers

I am currently in the same boat as you.

My 5090 is four months old and has a "pixel" problem. The authorised Pioneer agents came to inspect it last Monday and, after running some tests on it, confirmed that it required a new panel.

They took it away with them and said they would order a replacement panel as soon as they got back to their workshop.

Well, after one week, I have heard nothing so I called them today and they now say that they cannot order a replacement panel unless they get authority from Pioneer first!!! (even though last week they said they would go ahead and order a new one).

They said today that they are still running tests on it and need to wait for further instructions from Pioneer.

I am so fed up. Only been without it for one week (so far) but seems like an eternity, I don't even have any other TV's in the house so cannot watch ANYTHING!

Looks like I will be waiting for several more days yet before I hear anything more.

Not happy with Pioneer or their "approved" repair agents! :(

My 6090 recently displayed the error message
"suspect internal circuit fault. Suspect short in speaker cable"
Then it switched itself off, and had the blue flashing light. It flashed five times in a row before pausing. There arent any speaker cables attached.
The TV could then be turned back on again by using the remote control.
I called my dealer who referred it to the local pioneer service centre.
I called the dealer on the monday, the service centre phoned on the wednesday. They didnt come to inspect it, but wanted to come and collect it. I The earliest they could come was the following tuesday.
They did and i had a call on the thursday to say it was fixed and asking when they could redeliver. The earliest was next tuesday. I wasnt available so they said it would have to be the tuesday after that, or the one after that!
At that point i stated that wasnt acceptable and eventually the grudgingly agreed to return it the next friday.

So from reporting the fault to getting the TV back could have been 15 days. But it would have been 22 or 29 if they had had their way. The repair itself was fairly quick, i needed a new main circuit board, which the service centres keep instock as part of a spares package that pioneer give them. The girl who phoned to arrange collection was useless, but i spoke to the engineer who told me that the reason they werent sending an engineer out was because they were confident with this fault it needed a new board.

So the moral of the story is, pioneer service centre comms and customer service is useless. Once it actually gets to them, turnaround( in my case) was fairly quick. So if you can deliver it yourself and collect, you may get the tv back quicker.

( On a separate note, the guys who came to collect were planning to throw a blanket over it, leave it on the stand, and "support" it in the back of the transit van with a few empty cardboard plasma boxes. That was after attempting to pick up the tv by the bottom. The grab handles on the back of the set were a revelation to them)

Hi mate,

I had some pixel problems with my 2 months old Pio lx 5090 and got a new one replaced with it today.

Can you describe your problem in details,please. I have posted mine on the Pioneer 9G owners thread part deux. You can check it. I want to learn if that problem is usual on these 9th generation panels.

Cheers

Hi Alper029,

Basically, mine had the same issue as you have quoted in one of your previous posts, i.e. some of the pixels at the top of the screen appear to be too slow in changing colour. When you go from a dark scene to a light scene, you notice the pixels at the top only gradually changing colour.

The most severe way of seeing the problem was when I watch a 2.35:1 movie (i.e. with the black borders at the top) and then when the movie is finished and the screen goes back to a full screen image, all the pixels at the top of the screen (where the black border was) take several seconds to change colour.

Pioneer are now replacing the panel (not the whole TV unfortunately) and I am currently awaiting the repair to be completed. Been without a TV for almost three weeks now whilst it's been with the repair agents being tested etc. :mad:

Hi MrNPG,

My retailer has replaced the tv with a new one after my complaint about these malfunctions in 3 days. So it seems that things work better in Turkey than UK on this issue.

I hope you get your problem solved immediately. Someone up the thread has asked about the serial numbers of the troubled 5090's . I can give a start then . My previous panel's serial number was: "HGUK008700EW".

The new one's serial number is: "HGUK008516EW". A few words about the newbee: This one's screen looked brighter than the previous one. So, i had to decrease the Contrast parameter from 40 to 35. It does not have those malfunctions as the old one did. But i am not sure if this is a problem which appears by time. I noticed those problems on my previous panel after using it for 2 months. I am still not sure whether the tv had these problems since i have bought it or these issues have occured after the panel is used for 2 months.

I will be checking this new one day by day. I will inform you if it happens again on the new panel. If it happens again, it means that Pioneer has lost the fame to be the name of the quality in plasma world.

Hi Alper029,

Basically, mine had the same issue as you have quoted in one of your previous posts, i.e. some of the pixels at the top of the screen appear to be too slow in changing colour. When you go from a dark scene to a light scene, you notice the pixels at the top only gradually changing colour.

The most severe way of seeing the problem was when I watch a 2.35:1 movie (i.e. with the black borders at the top) and then when the movie is finished and the screen goes back to a full screen image, all the pixels at the top of the screen (where the black border was) take several seconds to change colour.

Pioneer are now replacing the panel (not the whole TV unfortunately) and I am currently awaiting the repair to be completed. Been without a TV for almost three weeks now whilst it's been with the repair agents being tested etc. :mad:

I chased up my TV on Friday and delivery is now scheduled for Wednesday. I have been told it is normal to wait for a few weeks from reporting the fault, having the engineer round to make inspection, sending the report off to Pioneer who either authorise a replacement or reject for credit, to then arranging a new delivery date for the swap. It would have been good to have been told this from the beginning though :)

do not let the engineer take it away unless you agree it with the person who sold you the unit. TLC advised the pioneer engineer (3rd party) should have just said 'it's faulty' and a swap out arranged if within a certain period, like 3 weeks or so from purchase.

tbh, this whole thing stinks a bit, what is wrong with these units, seems to be a common problem and i'm really hesitant on going through this again with pioneer who don't give a damn and then arguing the toss. these last few weeks have been extremely frustrating and i've not really felt like a customer who has just spent ÂŁ2.5k:mad:

a new unit comes tomorrow though:)

This looks like it seems to be a widespread problem, which considering the price and reputation of pioneer isnt a good thing :(

Hope they sort it out sharpish!

I think the drop in reliability is inevitable. Pioneer is losing money hand-over-fist. With price pressure and the need to try to make some money, production quality will suffer.:(

My replacement TV arrived this morning and faulty one picked up. Not had a chance to install it yet.

The MFD date for this one is January 2009. So hopefully there will not be any issues - fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Oh yes and Thanks Jen and Tony at TLC - you have been very helpful.

Last edited:
Hi sjsp123,

I hope you enjoy your new tv.My faulty 5090 was produced on July 2008 and the replacement has the same production date. I have no complaints about the new one. But i always keep an eye on it.

Cheers

My replacement TV arrived this morning and faulty one picked up. Not had a chance to install it yet.

The MFD date for this one is January 2009. So hopefully there will not be any issues - fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Oh yes and Thanks Jen and Tony at TLC - you have been very helpful.

I think the drop in reliability is inevitable. Pioneer is losing money hand-over-fist. With price pressure and the need to try to make some money, production quality will suffer.:(

Plus the factory that assembles them is closing in March.
They're hardly gonna be fully motivated:(

This looks like it seems to be a widespread problem, which considering the price and reputation of pioneer isnt a good thing :(

Hope they sort it out sharpish!

I second that!

Please be aware of consumer rights. The contract is between the buyer and seller - NOT the manufacturer. We do not have to tolerate waiting for a pioneer 'engineer' to view the sets. Insist that the dealer takes it back and buy from somewhere else!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom