My new Pioneer DV-868

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barend, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Very glad with the Pio, bought it for just 861 Euro net in Hamburg, free cod to Holland and next day delivery!
    It loads much quicker than my Denon 2900, pic is razorsharp, and even stereo sound is excellent; in "direct" and with the stereo RCA sockets connected to the CD input of the receiver I could not find any difference with my Arcam CD82T, so I can now flog that including the Denon...
    Don't like the stereo sound much in digital mode, bit harsh and treble accented, more so with hi-bit set. Maybe the unit needs running in? Or am I missing something?
    Don't use the 5.1 analog outputs for stereo as the level is too low even with every channel upped 6 dB.
    Bass management is just as basic as the 2900's - fixed sub crossover (they don't even state the frequency!).
    DVD-A and SACD sound is definitely better than from the 2900- better highs and without any tendency of accented mids. Excellent!
    Using the analog outputs for that, no i-link here...
    Also glad that remote commands of DV747 (DV47) all seem to work including on and off, so reprogramming my Pronto was a breeze, nice because the original remote looks rather tacky...
    Mechanical sound of the DV868 is quite low, not disturbing at all, even when on pause.
    Now I must stop spending money or I might have to offer my wife on Ebay!

Does anybody know whether there's a memory setting? (You know, you get sleepy halfway and want to continue next evening).
    Any other comments and tips very welcome!
    Barend

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The memory settings are in the setup screens.
    They are right down at the bottom of the menu etc.

ENJOY!!! :smashin:

3. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Where did you find it. I'm interested in one and that sounds a great price! thx

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    SL S.Lawall Import & Export.
    I think he'll even ship UPS c.o.d., probably to UK too. :thumbsup:
    Very friendly guy (which is rare enough in mail order hifi sellers!- normally you'll get an ignorant girl in England with the familiar British sheetmetal voice "Hah k'n aye helpyuh"- try Hifibitz...).
    He's on Ebay.de too, at 1099 Euro's, over the phone he'll sell for 999 Euro's.
    I bought ex VAT for 861 Euro's.
    tel. +49 40 21 90 34 95
    Good luck!

5. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about the sound which is why I have chosen the Arcam DV79 which is rich and smooth in comparison.

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sure Paul, but I do love the SACD and DVDA sound, better than the Denon 2900.
    CD sound of the DV868 via 2 RCA cables is fine though, so it's not the DA converters that sound so shrill...
    For now I'm happy, but me too rather had the DV79, if it only had the SACD mode...no space for a dedicated SACD player.
    Barend

7. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Got mine from Superfi = £699 inc. delievery, first class service.

8. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been looking for a replacement for my rubbish 2900....I want a DVD player to actually play DVD's not pause, skip, freeze throughout a film. I'm sure everybody is aware of the problems with this machine and after 2 firmware upgrades it has just stopped on the opening scene in Star Wars so it is going back tomorrow.
    My first question about the 868 is how does the CD playback compare to the 2900 as this is about the only thing it did do well..??
    Barend - are you pleased with the 868..??

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Bad question to ask, as he's selling his!
    I believe the 868 doesn't well suit his Panasonic plasma (Pal issues?)... I think I read that Barend is moving to a Denon 3910.

10. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found that thread too....Big mistake as I believe 3910 suffers similar problems to the 2900. I'm never getting Denon again. Especially as they know about the problems but are very reluctant to help once they have your money.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Im not really sure about the cd playback of the 868 as only use a dedicated cd player to play music. It does seem very good on dvd & sacd though, like most pioneer equipment the build quality does not seem as good as Denon but after a friend demo'd his 2900 I was put off by several issues - very noisy mechanics, ran very hot, bad jumping when fast forward etc. to name a few. He eventually sold the machine on ebay at quite a large loss.

I use the 868 with an ax5i so is ideal as they talk to each other using ilink.

12. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the 868 is probably the best player on the market right now (at the grand budget mark). along with all the qualities related to sound and vision you all mentioned it has something few others have (actually just 1 or 2 for now) - HDMI. Combined with a HDMI screen and ilink to the AMP , well , FANTASTIC! :thumbsup:

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    My 3910 is perfect. No skipping, jumping, freezing or anything. In fact, just absolutely sublime. And no MB that I can see either. Cracking player :smashin:

My first Denon though, so no history here :zonked: