1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new Pio 434

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rexus, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Rexus

Rexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Pio 434 for a week now, and I thought I'd share my experiences:

Bought it from Dixons for £3830 (they price matched against their own airport shop prices), inc. stand and speakers

PQ - seems to improve after an hour or two of running, can show poor skin tones, judder in movement and lipsync problems with the low bit rate Sky channels. However, once warmed up, PQ is stunning with DVD (S-Video on input 3), very good on most Sky movies, pretty poor on tuner.

Noise - can't hear any from the screen, the media box fan is noticable though.

Drop out - just twice in a week.

Contacted Dixons about the warm up problem and drop outs and they offered to take the screen and box away for repair! (or I could have a refund). Contacted Pioneer, they didn't seem interested advised me to talk to Dixons.

Hmmm!

Overall, not bad, this is my first plasma and I have another 7 days to decide whether to keep it or try something else.

2. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Funny, I've seen the warm-up phenomenon as well and thought I was imagining it. Nice to know that at least if I'm crazy, one other person is too :D

Si

3. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no dropouts, Sky looks pretty bad, but it does on my CRT.
    DVD looks brilliant

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Rexus,

Pioneer should fix your drop out problem with the software upgrade. I think you should insist except if Dixons has already a replacement upgraded media box.

I would like to say to all that I am satellite enthusiast and have been watching digital TV from the rest of Europe before SKY started here in the UK. I can confirm that many other even free to air broadcasters around Europe have superior resolution and bandwidth than Sky. They squeeze far too many channels in one transponder which directly affects picture quality. They give their best on only few of their channels. Sky gets away with murder still aiming to an average size CRT TV output and charging more and more for it without any proper competition.

Finally, I believe that my new 434 came to its best after the first 100 hours or so. I think it applies to all. I do not think I ever had exactly the type of warm up problem you are describing but I am sure it is only the last few days that I am totally happy with every video source from the moment I switch it on.

5. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Rexus,

Which Dixon's did the price match? I'm also interested in the 434, and there's an airport Dixons's (and several normal Dixons) near me, so would be interested in any info for them to price match against.

Thanks

6. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i had the man from pioneer round today :D
    so far no more dropouts colours seem a lot better faster switching on analogue tv so far i am a lot happier,he did tell me that it will be at its best at around 200 hours,he also said that burn in shouldnt be an issue i am now a lot happier he even got my home gallery working

jason:D

7. Rexus

Rexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Senninha

I price matched with the Dixons Manchester store - if you give a Dixons Airport shop a call they check with head office if they can offer you a specific TV at their discount prices.

8. Rexus

Rexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simonwim

They did price match but I was flying that week anyway so would have been able to get the reduced airport shop price.

9. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Rexus, i am flying from Heathrow on Xmas day - should i just call Heathrow Dixons now and ask them how much for a Pio 434???

I didnt think airport shops sold tellys as you can hardly put them in your suitcase?

Thanks

Sunil

10. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Simonwim - there is no "duty free" anymore, so the airport prices are just a bit keener. For some reason people like to shop when they travel (which I've never seen the point of - dragging your purchases around airports and planes) so the shops are there offering prices to encourage.

FWIW I've always found the airport shops very keen to sell, and very helpful to allow you to buy on the way through and they'll meet you somewhere on the way back to collect, etc. Especially cases of wine have been good like that.

That said, I never though of buying a plasma TV from them!

11. Rexus

Rexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sunil4

Give them a call and ask them to provide a quote - they check with Head Office and then get back to you - you can then pay when you're travelling through.

12. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

I just rang Dixons at T4, £8500 !!!! Thats was the only one on his system, but he did say whatever the price in shops, less 17.5%

John

13. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Ok I got the product code 976877 from Dixons web site and phoned back to T4.
    Its £3828.94. You can order it if you fly somewhere in Europe !

John