1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My NEW Philips Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ski1, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ski1

Ski1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

This is my very post here, and I’m excited to learn more about AV products and meet other members just as excited as I am. :)

My story goes a little something like this:-

For the past year or so, I would walk into Best Buy and marvel at the Philips 42FD9954 Plasma TV but at that time the $7999. price was wayy outtta reach for me, so with the new models coming out I wondered how much I can pick one up for. Well, each of the 3 stores I visited said they were already sold, sorry~ no more.

Then, last week, with a few hours to kill, I walked into Best Buy, again, and while talking to the manager of the AV dept. I was telling him that I would have loved to buy on of those Philips, etc. but he told me, they were all sold out as last year's model. THEN, while talking & walking around looking at the new models, low & behold, there was ONE MORE 42FD9954 sitting there with the guy about to put on a "clearance tag" of $1599.00

So I jumped on it, and when the STORE manager rang up the sale, he adjusted the price down to $1437.00 and then sold me the e-box for $299.00 (down from $999.00)

The only caveat is, these 2 items are open box with no manuals, remotes, or brackets. With that in mind, I purchased the extended warranty for $299.00, for 4 more years.

What do you guys think of this sale/deal? Do you recommend I get the manufacturers owner's manual & remote?? Or would a good universal remote suffice.

Now I need cables, or shall I say, all that I have is the TV & e-box, I now need everything else to get this up & running.
    I'm thinking of getting the Sanus: VMPL50s wall mount brackets.

What suggestions does everyone have or questions.

Thanks all.

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,699
    Sounds like a very good price- (we would pay the same figure in pounds here!) If you are happy with the picture, resolution and inputs you can down load the manuals and get a Philips universal.

3. Ski1

Ski1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Cliff,

Thus far, i've been able to hook up my DVD player and watch Terminator 3 on it, and it looks awsome!!

I went to Philips and downloaded the manual, but that manual was a very generic manual with no information on the menus etc. of the TV, so i'm wondering what i'm missing out on??? :confused:

As far as cables go, what sets do I need to setup this TV & e-box to my digital cable and stereo system?? And does anyone have a copy of the original manuals for the TV & e-box?

Cheers.

4. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,699
    The TV is specific to the US so there probably won't be too much experience on this forum for this model. Having said that, why not call up Philips help line 1-888-PHILIPS and ask for a manual for your e-box and a remote? I am sure it would not cost too much. Or send an e mail and they can return a pdf?

In the meantime you might find that the menus are similar on the models with built in TVs - the 42FD... As for connections can't help, but I am sure from looking at the back of your e-box you will find a common connector- DVI or VGA + audio ?

5. mpokeRas

mpokeRas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the same configuration, 42fd9954 and Ebox FTR 9965. Each component has its remote. That of ebox can controll the whole set. I am satisfied with their performance although i am not sure if DVI connection is HDCP compliant. Please notice that there are different models for different regions.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...scy=&slg=ENG&searchtxt=&grp=&cat=&sct=&tmplt=
    here you can find how to recognize your specific model and which is the relevant manual. Mostly you ll need the manual for the Ebox. Look for a good stand or wall bracket, the original wall bracket is cheap one... If you need additional info PM me...