My new PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Pulsar, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi guys,

Just to continue from my other thread, I have now setup my new PC with watercooling and all, and thought I should post some pictures in case anyone else is interested.

The first picture shows the inside of the PC. I have used a Danger Den TDX CPU cooler for my Athlon 64 3000, and a Danger Den Maze 4 block for my Radeon X800 (modded to full XT speeds and 16 pipes). I have also housed the pump in the case which is a Eheim 1250. The piping is all 1/2" and jubilee clipped. There is no reservoir, just a T-piece used to bleed the system.

Other components in there are 1GB Ballistix PC4000 RAM, running 2,2,2,10 at 200Mhz. MSI K8N Neo Plat, M-audio Revo 7.1, Sweetspot RGB capture card, 2 seagate drives, a DVD reader and DVD writer. The PSU is a Tagan 480 watt unit which is very quiet. This is all housed in a Antec AMG 1080 case.

[​IMG]

The next picture shows the pump. i used some bits of carpet underlay to insulate the vibrations from the pump.

[​IMG]

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    This next picture shows the CPU waterblock in more detail.

[​IMG]

And this picture shows the GPU block in more detail.

[​IMG]

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    This is the radiator I am using. It is a heater matrix from a Vauxhall Nova. Cost me £10, and is 100% leak free. It looks very battered in the picture, but it isn't that bad. Anyway, this is not going to be seen.

[​IMG]

My PC is housed in a custom built cabinet so that it can integrate better in my room, and look neater. there is a false floor in the unit that allows all of the power sockets, wires and my broadband modem etc to remain hidden, although there is a door for the lower part to allow access to those things.

[​IMG]

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    So this is what the unit looks like when all of the doors are closed.

[​IMG]

I am very happy with the solution I have now. The PC is very very quiet when in use, and is maintaining stable temps with no fan on the radiator. I do plan to mount 2 * 120mm fans in a push pull configuration shortly, once I have made the box to fit them in.

I will be more than happy to help anyone else setup a PC like mine with watercooling, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Cheers

Rob

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ooooooo PC pr0n! Very nice! :)

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd be wettin my pants all time with all that water running round my machine :blush:
    Amazing setup though and blinding fast of course.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    That looks the business :eek:
    How long did that take to put together? and what did it all cost?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with all that water though and how did it feel the first time you swiched it all on. I bet a couple of valium were required before flicking the switch :rotfl:

nice job and could we see some benchies :smashin:

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    why are you using pc4000 @ 200mhz? such a waste. Very nice pc there, but you've gone totally overboard on some of the components IMO

9. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    It didn't take that long to put together, say a couple of hours max. At first I had the radiator inside the case, where the pump is, but I thought it was stupid to pull all of the hot air through the space, so decided to move the radiator outside, and put up with the longer pipe-run.

Total cost including pipe, jubilee clips and water I would say comes to £130.

This isn't my first use of water to cool a PC, I used a pre-configured wet and chilly chips setup on my last PC. I believe this mix and match of components gives a good balance though.

I will do some benchmarks, but need to sort out the overclocking first. :thumbsup:

Rob

10. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    There are 2 reasons I used this RAM. Firstly, I wanted to overclock, and so was looking at PC3200 stuff that could hold good timings. I didn't want to spend loads, so my choice landed between the Ballistix and the Geil Value stuff. I like to be different, and thought I would give crucial a go. This leads me on to my second reason.

When I came to order, I found that the PC4000 stuff was only £8 more. :D I thought that it would be rude not to go for the faster stuff, so got that. The guaranteed timings were different, with the PC3200 they guarantee CL2.0 and with the PC4000 CL2.5. Looking at this I guessed they both used the same chips, and that the PC4000 stuff would happily run at PC3200 speeds at CL2.0

On a slightly different note, have you seen the amazing write-up of the Ballistix RAM at AnAndTech? Here it is:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145

This makes me feel better about selling my BH-5 :D

James: What other components have I gone totally overboard on, I am interested to know?

For anyone else, I hope to do some serious overclocking with this setup, once I have the fans on the radiator. i shall experiment with lowering the multiplier and going for crazy FSB's (270-300) and keeping 1:1 also. I shall run some benchies to see what gives the best performance.

Cheers

Rob

11. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    as others have said very nice rig but im not a fan of the water cooling. to me water and computer components well any electrical system is a recipy for disaster IMO. nice setup tho, advantage is total slience near on. i have that PSU and its a beaut :) i though the max it could take was PC3200 (socket 754 mobo that is) im sure ive read that somewhere but must be wrong if yours is working. IMO a gig of ram is a gig of ram not matter what the brand is. a freind has 1 Gb of geil Value dual channel in his system but its also 754 so he cant take advantage of the dual channel :( i like ur neat little custom case holder :smashin:

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Good luck :smashin:

13. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pulsar, you don't need to run the ram and fsb 1:1 as the athlon64's have built in memory controllers, so you wont suffer a performance hit running them out of sync, but get the extra speed from the ram/fsb

14. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    That is what I meant in my last post, but reading it back now, I can see that I wasn't very clear. Thanks for the reminder anyway. :thumbsup:

I played around for a while last night, and got to a stable 1:1 FSB of 240 Mhz with the 10x mulitplier, so a clock of 2.4 Ghz. this was achieved with the RAM timings at 2.5,2,2,10 and 3x HT setting. I got a 3d03 score of 11,700 and a 3d01 of 24,100.

I will now have a play with Asynchronised memory settings, going for big FSB's.

Cheers

Rob

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Way to go m8. i luv the idear of water cooling.

You can also buy(but it is a little dearer) non conductive
    / non corroding water. if you get a leak just dry out the system and fire away again.(after fixing the leak mind...).

And from what i have read it realy works.(once you get your head around it) :thumbsup:

16. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    gandley,

I just use de-ionised water with 5% anti-freeze after reading a few articles on the net.

Cheers

Rob

17. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Little update.

I tried overclocking to 2.6 Ghz, but corrupted my windows install. :( I have reverted back to the settings posted earlier at a rock solid 2.4Ghz.

I have now started to investigate the possibility of overclocking the graphics card. I am now running at 540mhz core and 560mhz mem. This has given me a massive jump in performance in 3d03 to 12652 points. (nearly a 1000 point increase)

You may be thinking that I am a bit of a **** trying to increase my performance when everything is running well, but I have got a new monitor on the way. It is a Dell 20.1" TFT with a native res of 1600*1200, so it would be nice to be able to run my games nice at that res. :D

Cheers

Rob

18. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Nice one :smashin:

that's a good score and beats my best which was 12494 but I'm no overclocking guru so my cpu was @stock but my GT was clocked to 425/1150 :devil: I do not see any reason for not pushing your system to see what it's capable off but I tend to throttle it back somewhat for the sake of stability and after all everything runs sweet as it is. What is the refresh rate of you tft I hope it <16ms otherwise you may get smearing etc whilst playing games:(

19. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hawklord.

I chose the monitor based on its good response time of 16ms. Checking the Dell site, it gives me the following resolutions and refresh rates:

Factory Preset Resolution Modes: 720x400 @ 70.1 Hz, 640x480 @ 59.9 Hz, 640x480 @ 75 Hz, 800x600 @ 60.3 Hz, 800x600 @ 75 Hz, 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, 1024x768 @ 75 Hz, 1152x864 @ 75 Hz, 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz, 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz, 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz

Should be alright I hope. Another reason I liked this TFT is because it has the ability to turn through 90 degrees into a portrait mode which looks cool for browsing forums and stuff. :D

Here is a pic of the monitor:

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested, I have purchased this monitor off Dilshad on these forums in the powerbuy section. He said he may be able to get more, so post on the thread if you are interested.

Once I recieve mine, I shall post back with a mini review.

Cheers

Rob

20. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    :cool:

Mmm, super green water. :)

21. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    lol, green tubing, blue water actualy. :D

Rob

22. SCo4

SCo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up putting my case in the cupboard, cant understand all this black case is better than white when desks look much better with just a monitor on them! not to mention it is quieter in the cupboard and surprisingly runs cooler.

On water cooling.... my next computer box location is going to be near a cold water tap feed pipe, does anyone know if you can just use current plumbing in the house to dissipate heat? or will condensation be a problem?
    Must be a cheap solution there somewhere, and free hot water!

23. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Going for a combined heating and power solution I like it :smashin:

Very green :laugh:

24. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I noticed in you r pictures that u keep the radiator under your bed? U better watch stuff like dust and dirt.
    Also I noticed that your PC is right next to a heater/radiator! In winter if that thing is on it will heat up your PC since its sitting right next to it, so either move your PC or never turn on that radiator!

25. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I have now moved the PC into the bedroom, out of the cinema room. It is now nowhere near a radiator. :D I have also built a box which holds the radiator, and mounts 2 120mm fans about 2 1/2 inches from each face. This keeps the rad cool/cold to the touch. :thumbsup: This box just sits on the floor, and not under the bed so it should be OK.

PC is running fine, just waiting for half life 2 now.

Rob