My New Panny th37pe50

Soapysoap

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've eventually took the plunge after a year of window shopping. In that time i've been dead set on a couple of 36" CRTs, various sizes of LCD and High Def to Standard DEf several times. I've had 3 orders for different kit (tosh 37" LCD and two samsung 32" LCDs) cancelled by currys and another Tosh 37" fell through because PRC couldn't get in stock quick enough.
I've spent hours in the big retailers trying different settings with my own discs etc and have wasted about three weeks of Currys and Comets staffs time.
I eventuallty took the plunge on the Panny pe50 because :
a) It only cost £1100 from Digital Direct (Who have been great)
b) Its one of the best pictures I've seen on a Plasma for less than £2k
C) I still have some money in the bank to pay for a hopefully cheaper High Def screen in a few years time

Took From 8.00 this morning till 3.00 this afternoon to set up (as I've also bought sepeate AV amp and Speaker set Where I had to run the cable inside the wall)
First Impression is that I've made the right choice for me. Pic quality seems good from digi tuner and pics on prog scan from panny DVD Player superb.
Trying to prevent any screenburn I'm currently in Normal mode with contrast and brightness at about 25% and the pic still seems OK. I'm also using zoom 1 to keep all the logos off.
Watched the incredibles with the kids and the surround sound on and it felt very cinematic.
Id like to thank all those that have give me advice over the last year or so in helping making the choice especially those that have measured heights between shelves on certain stands and give honest opinions on what they have spent there hard earned on.
Thanks
Soapy

I'm likely to be buying the same TV so I'm pleased to hear how happy you are. It makes me feel even more confident about my purchase :)

Can I ask what (if any) extras you got with the TV (e.g. stands, etc)?

I've got the 42" version, had it for 3 weeks now and the picture just keeps getting better and better.

Watch LOTR, the fellowship of the ring, where they're in the shire at the start, its fantastic, then watch it in two weeks time - it will blow your socks off.

Soapysoap, how far from the screen are you siting?

Did you Demo the PV500?

how did it compare?

I am looking at the mo, and can't decide. I also liked the look of the LG RZ37LZ31 LCD. Not much information about this screen thouhgh.

Blueorb, I also have the 37PE50. I did demo both, and for SD material, I couldn't tell the difference between them. The only differencve in the shop, was that they were on different settings (ie brightness/contrast etc), which you could easily change.

I also have to say I prefer the aesthetics of the PE30, as the gloss black surround reflects everything in the room, and is to big for my liking. But thats personal preference.

The only tip I can give you, as I've repeated many times, is don't get caught in the HD hype. Is it your firm intention to get HD, and in what format? If not, you can buy a top quality SD TV like the 37PE50 for around £1k, and then hop into HD when the panels are better specced, and cheaper, in 12 - 18 months time :)

Hi,
WillC I got a pedestal stand and a free DMRS10 DVD Recorder which I'm selling for £120 to someone at work.
GeorgePK I'm sitting about 3M from the screen but sometimes two or four if the kids have nicked my seat :)
BlueOrb I did demo the PV500 and it looked fantastic in HD. However in my opinion watching a DVD through RGB scart in the shop I thought there was more "noise" on the pic than on the PE50. I played about a lot with the settings but the PE50 always looked a bit smoother. Freeview also looked better on hte PE50 but again I suppose its what you prefer. The deciding factor for me was when the wife said get the PV500 and a hd-dvd player and be done with it. When I explained they weren't for sale for a while yet and how much they probably would be (not £25 from asda for a few years yet)
and how much the initial disc cost etc would be I was just playing Devils advocate. I don't subscribe to Sky now so the extra cost of about £50 a month plus a box was very prohibitive for me. If I had the cash I would go for the PV500 because with a High Def feed it looked amazing. The high def clip looked like a tourist travel guide of Denmark or somewhere and the TV had about 10 lads standing round it even though there was football on the TV next to it.
I've only one quible so far and it's farly minor that is the zoom picture setting doesn't stay with the channnel i.e if next day I switch on I would have to zoom in again.
Also it says there are newdigital channels in the flow when I switch on which I have just pressed exit to get out of. I think there is something in the menu to switch the autodetection off which I'll investigate.
Soapy
UrbanT I couldn't agree more

I have also purchased a 37" pe50 and its fantastic. Mine cost £1299 with stand and 3 year warranty from my local Panasonic store.

Pictures are stunning and I'm loving it. PQ is stunning on nearly everything. I did have a pana 32" PD30 before and found sky a little disappointing but this is just stunning with all channels except for a few.

I can't recommend this tv enough.

I also reviewed the 500 HD ready model and thought the picture was worse than the PE50 with everything but HD images. I did want a HD ready tv but was put off by the salesman, this is why

When HD finally comes out it will cost and extra £30 per month for 3 HD channels (WHAT !!!!) and you also need to purchase the new box (£400) .... and the sports channel is an extra subscription for HD. As you can imagine this put me right off.

I'll save the extra cash and maybe convert in 2010 when the BBC go hidef. :thumbsup:

ashleybrown said:
I have also purchased a 37" pe50 and its fantastic. Mine cost £1299 with stand and 3 year warranty from my local Panasonic store.

Pictures are stunning and I'm loving it. PQ is stunning on nearly everything. I did have a pana 32" PD30 before and found sky a little disappointing but this is just stunning with all channels except for a few.

I can't recommend this tv enough.

I also reviewed the 500 HD ready model and thought the picture was worse than the PE50 with everything but HD images. I did want a HD ready tv but was put off by the salesman, this is why

When HD finally comes out it will cost and extra £30 per month for 3 HD channels (WHAT !!!!) and you also need to purchase the new box (£400) .... and the sports channel is an extra subscription for HD. As you can imagine this put me right off.

I'll save the extra cash and maybe convert in 2010 when the BBC go hidef. :thumbsup:

Amen.

I think you just made my mind up for me.

Had my th37pe50 for a week now. Have to admit I am chuffed to bits. got it for just over £1150 with free dvd and five year warranty from John Lewis on pricematch. Sold my old Sony DVB 28" CRT for £150 so a grand to change cant say better that that. Was gonna sell the DVD but sold my old Sony one instead - picture on progressive through component is superb.

Dont be fooled by the HD Hype - its gonna be five years before its available for sensible money, even compared to todays sky prices. By then I'll be able to buy a decent HD screen and put this one in a bedroom or kitchen, whatever.

Had a family party on Sunday - By Monday, my brother, aunt and cousin had all ordered this screen. Trying to follow the rules on running it in but noticed it did not mention this in the brochure. However, you guys are the experts and I'd rather play safe than sorry.

"Trying to follow the rules on running it in but noticed it did not mention this in the brochure. However, you guys are the experts and I'd rather play safe than sorry"

It mentions 1000 hours as the run in period on the panny website.

Definetly the best £1k I'll ever spend - it seems like a lot, but when you compare it to something like a car - which you use a lot less - it's a bargain!

Ade848 said:
Had my th37pe50 for a week now. Have to admit I am chuffed to bits. got it for just over £1150 with free dvd and five year warranty from John Lewis on pricematch.

Would you mind telling me how you did the pricematch please?
Which shop did they match with and do you just ring John Lewis or have to get something in writing?
Thanks

I did the pricematch with hifi confidential www.hificonfidential.co.uk and john lewis watford branch. Basically, ring and ask for undersales, give them the name and number of the shop you are looking to pricematch with and they will get back to you. There is pleanty of info on this site regarding john lewis pricematch rules.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom