• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question My new OLED questions..

cookie1987

Standard Member
Hello friends!

I am looking for some help and advice on my latest purchase.

I bought a new LG 65" C8 back in the black Friday deals for a very good price of £2229! at the same time i bought myself an LG SKY9 ATMOS soundbar.

I only went in for some batteries and an iron...

I already had a decent Samsung J6500 55" but i wanted OLED and had a £1k voucher for PC World.

Anyway, its on the wall, i made some new brackets for the soundbar and that is it....

What i would like to know is if there are any settings i need to change to improve my viewing?

I would like to use my TV Remote to control the sound bar - this isnt working at the mo BUT my sky remote works the soundbar :-/

Also, what is the best way of using my sound bar, i have an optical cable from my TV to the SB but also have used HDMI/ARC.

Any help is appreciated.

Sky Q main box direct connection
1GB LAN Direct connected to TV
48TB NAS with PLEX - lots of 4K Content
Netflix UHD
Xbox One

Thanks

sagaris99

Hello friends!

I am looking for some help and advice on my latest purchase.

I bought a new LG 65" C8 back in the black Friday deals for a very good price of £2229! at the same time i bought myself an LG SKY9 ATMOS soundbar.

I only went in for some batteries and an iron...

I already had a decent Samsung J6500 55" but i wanted OLED and had a £1k voucher for PC World.

Anyway, its on the wall, i made some new brackets for the soundbar and that is it....

What i would like to know is if there are any settings i need to change to improve my viewing?

I would like to use my TV Remote to control the sound bar - this isnt working at the mo BUT my sky remote works the soundbar :-/

Also, what is the best way of using my sound bar, i have an optical cable from my TV to the SB but also have used HDMI/ARC.

Any help is appreciated.

Sky Q main box direct connection
1GB LAN Direct connected to TV
48TB NAS with PLEX - lots of 4K Content
Netflix UHD
Xbox One

Thanks
Similar setup to me :laugh:

Ok, so you want to have the SK9Y connected to the TV through HDMI, otherwise you can’t get Atmos. The HDMI should go from HDMI 2 (ARC) on the TV to the HDMI ARC slot on the SB. Sound out from TV should be changed to HDMI arc, and if it hangs already changed, SB should be set to HDMI ARC. In the full settings menu, under sound, sound output, there’s an option to change audio format. This should be changed from PCM to Auto.

In terms of viewing, its personal. The general consensus is that Technicolor picture mode is the most accurate, though my personal preference is HDR Effect, strong. Generally though, whatever feels comfortable to you and looks natural to you is generally the best for you. There are exemplar picture settings on the LG forum if you want to have a look.

Unusual that the TV remote doesn’t control the SB. Just to check that you’re using the magic remote? In general, ensure Simplink is turned on, and try then. If not, turn everything off at the wall and try again. If you’re still having issues just shout.

cookie1987

Standard Member
Similar setup to me :laugh:

Ok, so you want to have the SK9Y connected to the TV through HDMI, otherwise you can’t get Atmos. The HDMI should go from HDMI 2 (ARC) on the TV to the HDMI ARC slot on the SB. Sound out from TV should be changed to HDMI arc, and if it hangs already changed, SB should be set to HDMI ARC. In the full settings menu, under sound, sound output, there’s an option to change audio format. This should be changed from PCM to Auto.

In terms of viewing, its personal. The general consensus is that Technicolor picture mode is the most accurate, though my personal preference is HDR Effect, strong. Generally though, whatever feels comfortable to you and looks natural to you is generally the best for you. There are exemplar picture settings on the LG forum if you want to have a look.

Unusual that the TV remote doesn’t control the SB. Just to check that you’re using the magic remote? In general, ensure Simplink is turned on, and try then. If not, turn everything off at the wall and try again. If you’re still having issues just shout.

Thank you ever so much for your info here, most helpful.

I am thinking about getting the wireless rear speakers, how do you rate these?

I will have a tinker with settings this evening and report back.

Any thoughts on how i can get rid of shadows behind the TV? cables are now strapped and routed but still look a bit pants
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg

sagaris99

Thank you ever so much for your info here, most helpful.

I am thinking about getting the wireless rear speakers, how do you rate these?

I will have a tinker with settings this evening and report back.

Any thoughts on how i can get rid of shadows behind the TV? cables are now strapped and routed but still look a bit pants
View attachment 1121200 View attachment 1121201
Looks a nice setup

The wireless reads are nice, but they’re ‘wireless’ at a stretch. The receiver box needs power, no physical connection to the SB, but then the rear left and right speakers connect to it with normal speaker cable. You can use any loudspeakers if you want, I never touched the included LG speakers. It’s a nice addition, works well for good films and games, but not essential.

I’d look at using cable ties, or maybe look at a cable tube to lead them all the same way.

Again though, nice setup

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom