1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new ND5 arrived yipieee!!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Dreamboy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of wait and reading this forum finally I've received my HD5. CocaCola made a promotion in Spain where you can win one of this players free or buy one for 175 Euros. I think it was a great oportunity to have this great player. And ordered one.

The player arrived in red color. I hoped to have a silver one as it looks better for me. But now I'm getting used to the red and I think it looks great too.

I was afraid of using SonicStage after reading all the comments here. But I've found it's a great software. It's very easy to use and untill now I've had no major problems. The only one I've found is that if I choose transfer options in preferences when my HD5 is not conected to the PC it crashes. I suppose it needs to check what formats the player supports.

I've already hacked the volume, updated the firmware and installed SonicStage 3.2 without problems.

Now I only have some small doubts. Now SonicStage 3.2 supports many formats and bitrates. I think that the better for me will be to use ATRAC3Plus 128Kbps. But I've noticed that the player can't reproduce it. I can understand how can support only 64 (too low) and 256 (too high) bitrates and can supports any bitrate on MP3.

Also I've noticed that SonicStage can only encode ripped CD's to ATRAC3Plus and not imported sound files.

Can somebody explain me this?

Appart from the file formats I'm extremelly happy with the HD5. It's simply amazing!!! :thumbsup:

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    SonicStage v3.2 is not officially out in Europe yet and was released in Japan after the v1.2 firmware update for the NW-HD5.

Why they did not include the new bitrate support in v1.2 I have no idea, this was an oversight on Sony's part.

Until there is a further update many of the bitrates will remain unavailable.

If you were keen on 128K, however, you may wish to try ATRAC3plus 192K which I am told works fine.

3. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really wierd that they put this new bitrate options on SS3.2 and not on firmware 1.2. Maybe a 1.3 firmware is on his way to support the new bitrates available.

For me a good quality-size is MP3 192Kbps. That's what I was using untill now for encoding on my PC and other players. I though that the HD5 only supported ATRAC3Plus at 64 and 256Kbps. I will try 192Kbps...

Thanks for the reply!

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Welcome to the HD5 club, where red looks better ;).

yes, sonicstage is good. And i have never experienced that problem, but as you say, just plug in the player when you want to change the setting.

128 is a good rate for atrac, or any really, except 48.

I am pretty certain that any imported file can be converted to atrac format. Just right click on selected tracks or an album and click convert, then choose the atrac bitrate, i heard somewhere that you can only convert down, not up, so a 128mp3 may not be able to convert to 256atrac, ive experienced otherwise, but you just have to try.

Regarding the new bitrates and not being able to transfer them, ITS SonicStage thats the problem!....the US version of sonicstage transfers the new bitrates, that its version rips from cd, to the HD5, and its playing at atrac3+ 192 on mine right now. I did have that trouble of it refusing to transfer the new rates, but got the official version, US, and it worked after i re ripped to those new bitrates. So UK owners, you probably wont be able to transfer them till sony realise that the link on their website is WRONG and downloads SS3.1. Or you could use the US version, and change the 'connect' homepage.

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Sony UK / Europe already know this and are deliberately holding off release until they make some tweaks to address some minor issues.

6. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see, then its probably the bitrate compatibility problem that they're fixing. Its definately not a firmware problem.

7. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's true. Now I'm seing that is SonicStage 3.2 that doesn't allows to transfer the 128Kbps ATRAC3Plus files to the HD5. So provably the HD5 can reproduce any bitrate ATRAC3Plus file.

I don't understand why they put this limitation on the software. Also I don't understand what you say about Sony holding the release as I'm running SonicStage 3.2 version.

8. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
  9. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right. I've downloaded from a link posted in this forum some days ago. It worked great for me and I have SonicStage 3.2 running. But I'm still unable to transfer 128Kbps ATRAC3+ to the HD5.

I've also seen a driver download on the Sony Europe site. I don't know for what is needed as my Windows XP system recognized the HD5 without any drivers. I suppose that is needed for Win98 systems. But on the driver information is says that supports Win2000 & XP.

10. blitter

blitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations Dreamboy!
    I'm also from Spain, but I don't know anything about the CocaCola promotion. Could u gimme more info on that please?
    Mine is black, but I have friends interested in a player like ours :D

11. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to say that this promotion ended at the end on July. They had 600 HD5 units to give for free and 1600 that you can buy for 175€ + 750 points that you collect from the CocaCola bottles using codes that appears on the labels and caps.

As the NH5 official price for the NH5 in the Sony web site is 330€ I thing that buying it for 175€ is a bargain. I allways wanted one HD MP3 player and this had been a good chance. I wanted to choose a silver one but now I'm falling in love with the red. :)

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SS3.2 that you have is not the official version. The US and Jap versions are official and allow the transfer of the new bitrates. So when the official version comes out, i suggest you get it.

13. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ummm... And there no way to download the US version from the Sony US site or other places? :rolleyes:

For now my only complain about the HD5 is that I can't use 128Kbps ATRAC3+ format due to SonicStage not wanting to transfer it.

14. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the link! :)

The Connect service is not a problem for me as I live in Spain and is still not available here. So I'm not using it. But I need the option to transfer 128 and 160 Kbps ATRAC3+ files.

Updated: I've installed the SonicStage 3.2 version from the US site and I'm having the same problem with 128Kbps ATRAC3+ files. When I rip the CD I have no problems and I can choose the 128Kbps bitrate.

But when I try to transfer the 128Kbps files to the HD5 I get a warning that says that some of the files can't be transfered at his current bitrate. Then it ask for a diferent bitrate to convert the files before transfering. It looks as if the HD5 not supports the 128Kbps ATRAC3+ files.

Supported options are:
    256Kbps
    192Kbps
    132Kbps (ATRAC3)
    105Kbps (ATRAC3)
    66Kbps (ATRAC3)
    64Kbps
    48Kbps

Formats without the (ATRAC3) note are ATRAC3Plus. 132, 105 and 66 are only supported in ATRAC3. I don't understand why this are not available for ATRAC3Plus.

16. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what others have said the only new ATRAC3+ bit rate that can be transferred and is supported by the current firmware is 192kbs. 320kbs and the others are supposed to be transcoded to your default bitrate (eg 64kbs) if you try to transfer them. Can your player play a 320kbs track?
    hh

17. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tryed to rip a CD in ATRAC3+ 320Kbps. SonicStage imports de CD without problems but then I'm unable to transfer it to the HD5. It's the same problem than with 128Kbps files.

I don't understand how the HD5 doesn't support ATRAC3+ 128Kbps bitrates as it's one of the most common used. I think that 48Kbps is useless and 256Kbps is too much. For now I'm using 192Kbps for ATRAC3+ and MP3 and it's a good quality-size compromise. But I wanted to use 128Kbps ATRAC3+ as I thing it will have a quality like 192Kbps MP3 with smaller file size.

18. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see, I only tried 192, and it worked so I assumed they all worked, and i just tried with 320 and it didnt allow it. So are we waiting for sony to release this hopefully magical firmware, or are we wasting our time?
    THose atrac3 only bitrates are not usual ones, i think they came from minidisks, LP2 and LP4 or something. Why would you want atrac3plus in those formats whan you have them in 64, 96 and 128, (when they become available)? The PLUS versions sound sooo much better, even if they are less bitrate.

19. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I find even more stupid is that the HD5 supports ALL the MP3 bitrates. But only a few ATRAC3Plus bitrates that it's supposed to be the native Sony format. I don't know if the HD5 is unable to play those formats or there's a problem that SonicStage doesn't allow to transfer them. But I hope to see a fix for this problem soon.