1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new living room...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by SilverPenguin7, Aug 21, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A few weeks back I posted a thread about my up coming move, well I am now in and although I can't find the original thread I thought I would give you an update on things with a new one. So, here are the first of my new living room/home cinema (excuse the pics in that my digi camera isn't wide enough to get whole room in shot which is annoying!):

[​IMG]
    The living room the night I got the keys. This was on the saturday night and by the monday morning I needed new floor and all painting in living room to be done for several deliveries. I also needed to take time out on the sunday to go and pick up my new Denon 2805! Rush rush rush!

[​IMG]
    The grey underlay you see here was also pulled up to allow for thicker underlay from B&Q so speaker wire could be run under the new floor.

[​IMG]
    I decided to run the cables under the floor instead of around the side of the room so it would be a cleaner job, here you see the cables sticking out awaiting the amp. Also the cable for Sky+ coming through the wall as when they re-installed I asked them to remove old cable as it was on other side of room coming in under the window :nono:

2. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    [​IMG]
    The Sky man, DFS and new bed all came at practically the same time at 9am on the first day! So a major rush job to get the plasma out and the amp all connected up for the sky man to do his installation was called for. You see now why the floor etc needed to be done before they arrived!!

[​IMG]
    One of the five Radius 180's I purchased along with the Denon 2805, had the speakers sitting un opened for a couple of weeks so was good to finally get them on the walls! These things sound SUPERB with my Rel Storm!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Its all coming together, in these two you can see how the corner of my room is dominated by the stairs, not ideal but its only an ickle one bed house. There is plenty of room to get to the stairs, even though it may not look it!!

3. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    [​IMG]
    I could happily fall asleep in this, the new sofa is SO comfy, glad I got the extra pouf thing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Almost done. Still need to put new skirting board on, channel speaker cables in to walls and put plasma on its new wall mount but I'm getting there at last! The fifth Radius was having problems (well the wall was) so I have to get that mounted still. Oh and curtains and finishing touches etc etc but you get the idea. I have a light behind the armchair, one at either end of sofa and one behind the Storm so at night everything is backlit so there are no harsh lights in your eyes or reflecting badly on the plasma. Will post some pics showing that when I do the next update.

The new kit consists of:
    PW6 Plasma
    Denon 2805
    Harmon Kardon 2550 DVD
    Monitor Audio Radius 180's x 5
    REL Storm
    Xbox
    Sky+

Everything excpet Xbox , Sky+ and REL has been purchased within last 2 months as I left my old equipment at my ex's house (well sold it to her). Have to say I am VERY pleased with the performance from it all. Would highly recommend any of it! Its all controlled via the Phillips Pronto, which I also recommend. Hoping to upgrade to a colour version once I have recovered from the shock of buying the rest of the gear!

:)

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Great setup mate, nice to see a system (and house :D ) that's affordable instead of the stuff in the mags and other forums.

Had a nosey at your photography site too, very impressive, how do you get the night shots so clear, mine always turn out grainy?

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers buddy :)

Night shots: Long exposure, get yourself a tripod and do shutter speeds of anywhere from 5 seconds to several minutes. Street lights tend to give a yellow cast to things but you can get a filter to counter that. I never used one of those though, just took loads of pics (about 8 rolls) and those where the good ones.

6. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there SP7,

Looking good so far mate!! :thumbsup: The batchalor pad is coming together nicely...

Nice to see you've got you're 'bloke' style priorities right... 2 grand+ plasma all set up and no skirting board on!! :rotfl: :rotfl: LoL!! Good luck with that mate, lol, I have nightmares about that mitre block.. :zonked:

Hope to get some pic's of my PW6 up soon, good luck with the rest of the room, hope to see some finished pics soon :smashin:

Wazy

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,155
    Very nice mate. :thumbsup:

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Its all about the priorities.....

Thought I would do a couple of night time shots before I go to bed. I have no tripod right now so I'm limited to stuff I can balance the camera on, sorry!! Bit trickier to get these shots right but again its just to give you an idea of the lighting.

One thing the lighting does do...it shows off how my new rug is loosing hair faster than a volunteer at a hairdressers convention!! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm really interested to know what lights you are using there? I'm just about to move into my own place and sort out the kit in the lounge and want a similar look to that with the subdued lighting. Looks really cool! :)

10. Kev

Kev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way you set those light is awesome man ! good job....

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Very nicely done, like the fluffy cushions :smashin: . I had to laugh about your rug because I have the exact same problem. I've got a nice wooden floor, and an ivory New Zealand wool rug, I seem to spend my life picking up balls of cream fluff, and it's not my hair because I'm not grey yet!!!
    A tip for you, don't put your feet on it if you have dark coloured socks on, you'll be picking the sock fluff off for ages!

12. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  13. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Its great isn't it, little balls of fluff as far as the eye can see! lol
    Thanks for the tip with the socks, although the ones I have seem to actually pick more fluff OFF the carpet than they put on! I have white soled black socks as we speak :eek:

14. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've invested in a swiffer (think that's what they're called) you just attach it to the end of a mop and it attracts all the fluff, but in your case your socks seem to be doing just as good a job! :laugh:

15. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    lol!!! I tell ya, dusters having nothing on these socks!!

I have a swiffer but do you think I can find the dry refills anywhere!?!?! All (3!!) of the superstores near me only have the wet ones which are only useful once you have got the worst of with the dry ones! arrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhh

16. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :clap: :clap:

I ordered one of these a month ago and at the time they were not supposed to be in stock until early Oct but I just recieved a call to say they have come in to stock early. It should be here tomorrow so I can have my full collection back at last (been stored at ex's as no space at mine till this arrived).

Should hold all of my dvd's and them some so quite looking forward to getting it. Was a bit pricy but I wanted something that had tons of space but also didn't stick out much due to where in the room it will be placed.

Shall show ya what its like once its built and in place :)

17. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    And here is the new dvd holder. I really like the styling and the slim depth, goes nicely in the room I think :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Excellent mate and trust me £149 is not expensive:
    But very sexy http://yellogb.net/dvd.htm wall mounted DVD4 is £150 ish IIRC

19. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have seen these and although they look VERY nice, they just don't hold anywhere near enough dvd's :(

20. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It certainly looks it!

and I'd be pretty tired too after watching The Girl Next Door :devil: :laugh:

That's a nice setup you've got going :thumbsup:

21. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    can you comment on the MA radius 180s, I was planning on an egg setup but I am reading a lot of good things on the MA items + they have new speakers 270-floorstanders and 225 "plasma" speakers. thanx

22. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I love them!! Coupled with the REL they sound amazing. I had a demo of the Eggs at the same time but these IMO sounded far superior. Much much clearer for a start as they share Silver series (I think thats what they are called) so they have the same tweeter you find in a £1000 set of speakers. With music they are warm and smooth sounding (I know what I mean, hard to explain in words though) but its with movies that they really come in to their own! As I said before they are very clear and sharp handling pretty much anything you throw at them. They give a much bigger sound than they look like they should tats for sure!

The build on them is also second to none. They make the Eggs and the B&W VM1's look like toys by comparision. Each one comes with its own wall bracket as well, including screws and wall plugs.

:clap:

23. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    that is a sweet set up, room looks really nice.

where did you get those sofa's from?

24. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers buddy, that would be these sofa's with cushions from Next!

I got a 3 seat, armchair and foot stool.

25. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Nice Setup Rich. Very Clean. If I can give one suggestion, why not drop the speaker cable behind the wall (if that were possible)

Well dones.

26. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't worry its on my To Do list along with wall mounting the plasma. The room is still not finished. I'm just sticking in updates here as and when they are done. I have to drop the front speakers down a few inches as well when I do the speaker cable.

Getting new windows and external doors in two weeks. The insides of which will be white, so they won't be as in your face as they are right now :clap: