Quantcast

My New Living Room Home Theater

CbusOHDawg

Standard Member
Hey, everyone! I have been lurking around here for a while but decided to register and become a new member so I could post some pics of a basic living room home theater I just set up. My wife has been wanting to refresh our living room and I had been thinking about a home theater so I convinced her to let me incorporate it into the refresh she wanted. I had to make some concessions as this is primarily a living room, but overall I'm happy with what I was able to get for our space and on a relatively small budget too.

Basically I bought the following few things

65" Samsung Q70R - Got the 2019 model on spring clearance and while I realize it's not the greatest TV, for us it has been a mind-blowing upgrade from the 50" 1080p set we did have.

Vizio 5.1.4 46" Dolby Atmos soundbar system with 10" subwoofer and rear speakers - I realize this soundbar system is not a true home theater, and I wish I could've gone the traditional route. However, as mentioned above I had to make some concessions as this is primarily a living room and the wife did not want a bunch of speakers everywhere, though she did agree to the rear speakers. Plus, there were some budget restrictions. She thought the subwoofer was too big, but after hearing (and feeling) it she was more understanding. I have to say, I am pleased with this system even though I know a traditional theater setup with dedicated Atmos height speakers would be much better. The upfiring speakers do an adequate job to give height effects and the subwoofer is more powerful than I was expecting. It truly does shake our small room at the right moments. Overall the system provides an immersive experience and there have already been several times that I was truly impressed by it.

Xbox One X - I already had an Xbox One S in my small office/game room, but decided to upgrade to the One X so that I could get the full 4k/HDR gaming/streaming/blu-ray playing package. It has done everything I wanted it to perfectly.

I had a little left over in the budget and used it to buy a stack of reference 4k blu-rays which I am enjoying working through.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup, even though there were some budget restrictions and compromises that had to be made. Plus, the wife is happy with it as well since it does not mess with the look of the room too much, and that makes watching movies with her much more pleasant!
IMG_0696.jpeg
IMG_0697.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpeg
IMG_0700.jpeg

password1

Nice clean setup.

Perhaps if you show her some small pieces of art (speakers) she'll change her mind.

I understand the big ugly black box but some speakers and subs are pieces of elegant furniture. There's other ways such as small or built into furniture/surroundings or life style speakers that won't look out of place. maybe she thinks a home cinema with big sound is about having speakers everywhere.

I see there are picture frames on the way.. you can get picture frame speakers, get s sub that'll look like a side table, small white rear speakers to blend into the surroundings..

CbusOHDawg

Standard Member
Nice clean setup.

Perhaps if you show her some small pieces of art (speakers) she'll change her mind.

I understand the big ugly black box but some speakers and subs are pieces of elegant furniture. There's other ways such as small or built into furniture/surroundings or life style speakers that won't look out of place. maybe she thinks a home cinema with big sound is about having speakers everywhere.

I see there are picture frames on the way.. you can get picture frame speakers, get s sub that'll look like a side table, small white rear speakers to blend into the surroundings..
I didn’t realize such discrete pieces existed. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Looks good mate.

Perhaps if you show her a projected image, 120" diagonal, crank up her favourite film ever, tell her there's a 4k Atmos version of it, she might change her mind completely.:rotfl:

Top Bottom