1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richgtfc, Feb 19, 2004.

1. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finished building my new PC last week, after trawling these pages for advice, loads of great help, thanks. Settled on

Accent HS200 HTPC case
    Asus A7N8X-E mobo
    AMD 2500XP
    1 gig Crucial 3200 ram
    160Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA HD
    Sapphire Radeon 9600
    Zalman CNPS7000 CU CPU cooler
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 350W
    Lite-On 8x DVD +/-RW
    Mitsumi 7-in-1 card reader
    ATI Remote Wonder
    WinXP Home

Ordered it all on a Thurs lunchtime, everything except the case arrived on a Friday. Case arrived on Monday, so spent the weekend staring at a pile of expensive bits. Started building at about 2:30pm, finished messing about at 5:45pm, powered up at 6pm, no big bangs (my first attempt at building a PC), seemed to POST ok, then had to pack up and get the train to Aberdeen to go dig hole in the North Sea on an oilrig :mad:. 10 days later, return to my new toy, load software, and cool everything works.:clap:

Can't really class it as a HTPC yet, no vid capture, not plugged in to a TV or amp, just a PC in a VERY expensive case. Tried the s-video out from the Radeon, and just as everyone said, it's rubbish. Will try the VGA to RGB mod when I can get hold of a soldering iron. Failing that, will junk my tv and get a plasma :laugh:

One comment though. People suggest a floppy is no longer needed. Proved invaluable to me (it's part of the card reader), as otherwise couldn't have installed the SATA driver when installing XP.

Just got to decide on keyboard, mouse, vid capture etc and how to shut up my noisy 60mm Vantec stealth fans.

Here's some pics

Cheers
    Rich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You'll not hear that argument from me. :D Glad you're happy with the results, nice looking case .. simple but effective.

For video capture, not too sure of your needs but I bought a Sweetspot and it's very good with my NTL STB and also an old VCR I still use .. they just released some drivers which allows it to work with recording software if that's of interest.

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Nice machine. I used my floppy to flash my bios the other day. Sounds rude, doesn't it? I like the Nebula DigiTV card for digital terrestial tv. The sweetspot looks great too.

How noisy is the HTPC?

4. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    What barnd is the floppy? have been looking for one like this with CF, but could not find one

5. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get one here . Watch out though, it uses a motherboard header connection (2 ports) as well as the usual floppy stuff.

6. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's in the spare room at the minute, till I get it setup properly, and I had to turn it off last night as it was keeping the wife awake (and no, she wasn't in the spare room:D ). I'm going to get those fan mates that you suggested in the other post.

7. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Showing my lack of knowledge here what are the header connections you are talking about ?

8. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than a standard USB plug that would fit in an exterior USB port, it has a connector that fits onto pins on the actual motherboard, bit like the connector for the fans, but with more pins. So your motherboard will need to have spare USB pins or else buy one of these from the States. (Acutally you'll need 2)

Cheers
    Rich

9. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have a cd writer you can create a bootable cd easily with nero for example to install any bios SW etc

10. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF you have a CD writer.....