1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New HTPC A few questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by perrin21, Oct 24, 2003.

1. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all, i have been looking at this forum for about 2 months and have decided to build a HTPC. Based on the information i have read and learned i have decided to throw some serious money at it and replace my Tag DVD player. It will also be networked to my main pc via 802.11b, not bought the card yet though.

Here is what i have bought so far.

HTPC Case, VFD, Remote Quiet pc Accent case Gold
    Qtec 550W Gold power supply
    Sony DVD Recorder multi format DWU-10A Black
    Motherboard, Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    Hard drive 200GB 7200RPM.
    Corsair 1GB twinx XMS4000 ram 2X512mb
    Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ
    Graphics card, Matrox parhelia 128
    RME Digi 96/8 PST Soundcard
    Super Flower Cooler P4 S478 CNPS7000-ALCU - Quiet pc.com
    VGA - RGBHV (5 phono) cable 15ft High quality CRT cinema.com

I will be running my HTPC through my Tagmclaren AV32r processor and using the Tag's dac's for all conversion. My PC is 90% finnished just waiting for a few things to arrive so i can fire it up for the first time. Hopefully by Monday.

I plan to run it on XP media center edition 2004 (i have this on CD) and use it mainly for DVD and CD/MP3 jukebox facilities. I will not be using its PVR facility for 2 reasons, one no tv card yet, two i already have tivo.

I chose the parhelia over a Radion because i beleive this to be the best card for image quality and DVD playback and i chose the RME as its supposed to be very impressive. My question is this, have i made the right decisions, i haven't used it yet but i would like your opinions based on experiences. My display devices are Panasonic TH42PW4 plasma (RGBHV connection planned) and Panasonic PTAE300 projector. I believe this isn't capable of 1:1 pixel mapping. Is this the case even with the parhelia?

Does anyone know the best powerstrip settings for these displays, i have looked but the information i have found is old and i was hoping something proven would be available. Can someone please tell me how to input these settings into powerstrip. All help with this will be greatly appreciated. I hope i have made the right decisions with the above. I will be advertising my DVD32FLR if this is better. Any ideas if it will be.

Mark

2. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here are a few more questions for you guys.

1) Is there any high quality DAB tuner available that fits into the PCI slot.

2) How do i configure my VFD display do display track details and play, ffwd etc. I am using the Quiet pc accent case with optional VFD and Remote interface.

3) Will my internal infra red be compatible with XP media center edition.

many thanks for all replies received.
    Mark

3. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Firstly regarding your DVD - I sold sold my Tag DVD32FLR after seeing the picture through my Yamaha PJ using my old PC and that was before I built my HCPC.

Secondly, I have got the Accent case with supplied VFD and IR and I have had to give up trying to get the IR working. Apparently they are very problematic. I am just going to have to buy an IRMan to replace the supplied IR unit. So bear it in mind if you have problems with your IR - it might save your hair :D

Can't help with XP Media - I'm using plain old XP and Girder. I'm sure someone will know something though.

Good Luck

4. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    many thanks for your reply. If i can't get the IR to work then i will send it back to quiet pc and get a media center remote. Its already beginning to do my head in. I can't get the VFD to work either.

I keep getting the message "DLPORTIO.SYS device driver not loaded port i/o will have no effect" from LCD smartie. Any ideas?

5. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just ordered a media center remote from the US on ebay only £30 incl postage. What kind of internal infra red could i use to replace the external box receiver?

6. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know of any internal replacement IR receivers but you can get the IRMan here
    I know it's external but I did read about someone who had stripped it down and mounted the receiver unit in the same place as the Accent unit. This is what I intend to do when I get around to it - so at the moment I can't say for sure whether this will work.

As far as your VFD is concerned, have you installed port95nt.exe?
    You must do this before LCDSMARTIE.

You asked previously how to get tracks, ffwd etc to display. I've been puzzling over this one for a while as well. As far as I can see, you can only display information which is supported by a plugin for any LCD program. So for example LCDSMARTIE would have to have a plugin for WINDVD - which it hasn't. In fact I cannot find any useful plugins for LCDSMARTIE.

At the moment the best bet seems to be to use GIRDER for all of your IR and VFD as it seems to have the most plugins available.

Sorry I can't be any more help but I'm struggling through this at the moment as well.

If you find out anything useful let me know.

7. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How do you use girder for the VFD. My last attemp at girder ended in me throwing the pc oround the room by its power cord LOL only joking but i felt like it.

I have got he VFD working but i would like to see more on it than cpu info etc. Seems like a bit of a waste to me.

8. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look here for girder plugins.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    There's a DAB tuner here Simply Radios
    Not sure if it's high quality though

10. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Has anybody any experiences with dab tuners, i have one in my car. Do any bypass kmixer for direct output from my digital output on my rme digi96/8 to my Tagmclaren av32r.

11. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    perrin / GRees

I stripped down an IRMan and it fits fine in my Accent case

To get your VFD working you need to install Port I/O driver.
    PM me your email and I'll happily send it you. The file is 1.57MB unzipped.

12. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    good idea, i'm going to try and strip down a media center remote receiver to see if it fits. Just as soon as it arrives.

13. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dgc

Thanks for that - I'll go ahead and order an IRMan today.

I've got my VFD working with LCDsmartie and Girder but I'm still not sure how to get it to display anything useful. I'd like to be able to display the status of WinDVD and WMP9, so I've downloaded the LCD/VFD and DVDSpy plugins for Girder but I can still only manage to display the test screen.

Any suggestions?

What software are you using?

Cheers.