My new house just so happens to have a loft conversion...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by James333, Feb 2, 2014.

1. James333

James333
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone, so I'm starting a build thread on my new home cinema / gaming room.

My fiancée and I are just about to buy our first house. Its a 4 bedroomed mid terrace. One of those bedrooms just so happens to be a loft conversion that has been deemed unsuitable for the master bedroom due to there being nowhere to put wardrobes because of the sloping ceiling....Ideal!

So to set it out in check list style, here are the things I need to do:

* Exchange contracts on the house (just waiting on solicitors so fingers crossed)

* Move in and decorate a few rooms - an ongoing project until the house is fully remodelled

* Finalize room layout to determine where to run cable.

* Find out the best way to soundproof the party wall that connects me to next doors loft conversion

* Gather lots of feedback from you guys

* Do the subwoofer crawl

* Design my automated masking

* Construct my 100" screen

* Decorate room

* Test

* Enjoy :)

It will be a dedicated room but there will certainly be some compromises where form will be just as important than function but I hope achieve a great and usable room without completely destroying things like acoustics.

I have drawn up some initial / conceptual plans that I am pretty happy with that I will add below.

The first thing I would like to address is the soundproofing as I believe next door also has a room in the loft.

I am not into being anti social with my speakers but I do want to enjoy them and will take actions to ensure it is not a problem for my new neighbours but I need some advice as there are conflicting views on this.

I build and renovate houses so am in a good position to tackle this but conforming to normal party wall standards does not cover gun shots and explosions!

Here are a few drawings and a video to show my plans for the room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I should list my system before I go any further!

Optoma HD33

Acoustic Energy Neo V2 5.1 surround speakers

[​IMG]

Marantz SR5006 Reciever

High end Gaming PC (4770k @ 4.8GHz, AMD 290x overclocked and watercooled)

I adore these speakers and have never heard anything like them in my life so certainly enjoy getting the most from them :)

So what's the deal with stopping the sound getting next door through the wall behind the screen?

Until I get in there with my tools I don't know exactly what the construction is but regardless of that, I know it will not have sufficient sound proofing properties and will need attention.

It is currently a plastered wall with a chimney breast behind and as it is flat, I can only assume that there is a void either side which I would hope to fill with rockwool at the least.

So I figured I need mass and decoupling. would a layer of 13mm plasterboard followed by green glue then another layer of 13mm plasterboard make much of a difference?

Any input on this would be great as I am getting conflicting advice from many years of forum posts.

I would like to address potential issues with the whole room so will be adding lots of questions over the next few days so I apologise n advance for the hours of reading!! :)

Thanks for taking the time so far.

James

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. leoscott2014

leoscott2014

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looking forward to seeing this progress.

I'm not a joiner but from past experience when I was working on site they built a framed out wall making no contact with the brick work. It was only supported from the top and bottom rails and connected to the walls at either side. They then used the solid sheets of rockwool and fitted two layers of plasterboard. I don't know how much this prevents the noise from travelling but i guess if you put sound proofing in as well then it should do a pretty good job.

3. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In a room that size I would be tempted to build a false wall behind and go with an acoustically transparent screen. Bags of sand in the frame will help with bass and make it sonically accurate in terms of the sound field. Then you can overcome the sound travel issue also. It begs for a 9.2 setup :D

4. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I'd recommend against the bags of sand unless you get the weight distribution right - that stuff is usually for basements and garages where you can have a solid concrete slab. Of the top of my head standard domestic loading is 150kg / m ^ 2 and with that slate effect wall as well you're going to be putting some serious weight up there.

On the note of weight and loading, have you had confirmation from the sellers that the loft conversion has been done to building regulations?

Is that slate effect wall the party wall?

I assume by the 13mm you mean 12.5mm? Or 15mm?