My New Home Cinema & Refurbishment.

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Phil cool setup dude.

I have a few questions for you regarding your Varilights:

1) Where did you source them from?

2) Am I correct that you can control them from your harmony one controller or do you need a different controller?

3) Can you just simply replace your old switches with these varilights or do you need any additional cabling run to each switch point?

Apologies if you have explained this in your thread I have read through and could not see anything regarding the information I am looking for.

Really nice looking forward to seeing the finished article with all the stands for the AV equipment.

phil5366

Banned
Phil cool setup dude.

I have a few questions for you regarding your Varilights:

1) Where did you source them from?

2) Am I correct that you can control them from your harmony one controller or do you need a different controller?

3) Can you just simply replace your old switches with these varilights or do you need any additional cabling run to each switch point?

Apologies if you have explained this in your thread I have read through and could not see anything regarding the information I am looking for.

Really nice looking forward to seeing the finished article with all the stands for the AV equipment.

Hi WeegieAVLover,

Thanks for looking at the thread.

The Varilights I bought on A/C through one of my suppliers I will post up a link later on today for you.

You are correct, you can control them from a Harmony One, all mine are controlled that way. The good thing about the varilight is you can even control them on any spare button on an existing remote control. Or should you wish to buy a Varilight Control they cost abouth £6.50ish.

All my Varlights replaced existing switches, very easy to do and they all worked first time round, even two way lighting. I was so impressed with these I replaced all the switches to the ground floor area.

If you need any further info please do not hesitate to post or contact me.

phil5366

Banned
Absolutely stunning mate! Fantastic job :smashin:

Thankyou very much for the kind words alz! I spent many a day reading your thread/forum, I think what you have done is fantastic. Great work!!

BTW - Hows Snoop Dog?

Last edited:

phil5366

Banned
316749-albums897-picture4655.jpg

What I love about The Harmony One is that you can add the TV icons for each channel as shown above. Looks quite nifty, I have these setup for most channels.

The Harmony also controls all my dimmable lighting, its really easy to set these remotes up especially with the help from the dedicated thread in AV Forums. When I first purchased mine it seemed like rocket science until I picked up a few tips from the forum.

That is what I love about AV Forums, everyone is always willing to help you no matter what the problem is.

Last edited:

rjb70

Standard Member
Phil, Smashing job youve done there. What I was wondering, how do you find the music performance of the Denon / Jamo combo? Im really keen on getting both of these, and am torn between the Denon and Yamaha Amps, and the Denon and Tannoy speaker packages.

I did look into the Sony "Golf Ball" system, which would have been ideal for me, but I cant find any info about either Music performance, or True HD audio.

phil5366

Banned
Phil, Smashing job youve done there. What I was wondering, how do you find the music performance of the Denon / Jamo combo? Im really keen on getting both of these, and am torn between the Denon and Yamaha Amps, and the Denon and Tannoy speaker packages.

I did look into the Sony "Golf Ball" system, which would have been ideal for me, but I cant find any info about either Music performance, or True HD audio.

Thamks for those kind words rjb70.

Should you go for the Denon/Jamo combo you will not be dissapointed. I was simply blown away by how powerful this system is. Its crystal clear as well as being perfect in each and every way for what I require.

The amount of comments I have had from people saying how good the Denon/jamo's are is unbelievable.

When choosing my combination I took the advice from "Dante" off the AV forums and I am really pleased that I followed his advice.

If you want my opinion One word would sum the combo up "Superb"

phil5366

Banned
187.jpg188.jpg
197.jpg198.jpg
199.jpg201.jpg
202.jpg

When it came to my choice of lighting I am a stickler for safety and building regs. As I own a Building Company I am quite used to working with and knowing the Regulations, more so when about a year ago we could smell something burning but we did not know where it was coming from. Some hours later all the lighting tripped. After replacing a few Halogens a couple of the lights still would not work, so after closer inspection it was discovered that the cheaper fittings that the previous owners had had fitted where the culprits. When fitted they had packed insulation around them, this then caused a build up of heat and they then began to smoulder and combust.

I was shocked to uncover this, as at any time me and my family was at risk due to shoddy work and cheap fittings.

Almost immediately, I set about taking the fittings out, all 50 of them. These was replaced with the correct 1/2 hour fire protection fittings along with heat reflective Halogens as pictured above.

Two days later all the light fittings had been replaced and an adequate gap was left around them for air flow as per instructions.

The offending light fittings was last seen in a skip! An expensive job but you cannot put a price on safety expecially with your family.

PS the bulbs/lights shown above are LED

Last edited:

phil5366

Banned
why are we beating about the bushes cause i send you the money then you do it and post to me:D

what do you say?

If you would like me to make this for you give me a PM and I will arrange for it to be done

Regards

Bizness

Lovely thread, lovely set up.

I'll have a good look back again next time I move for DIY and lighting advice. Cheers :thumbsup:

phil5366

Banned
316749-albums910-picture4796.jpg

316749-albums910-picture4792.jpg

The Kichen & Dinning room will be getting the AV treatment in the near future as soon as I have redecorated.

316749-albums910-picture4795.jpg

I am going to have in ceiling speakers and maybe a Sonos or similar system.

316749-albums910-picture4793.jpg

Also a Plasma or LCD on the wall but still deciding at the moment.

316749-albums910-picture4794.jpg

phil5366

Banned
316749-albums897-picture4642.jpg

Just to recap, I initially installed the fire & centrre speaker as above due to Xmas getting near.

316749-albums897-picture4644.jpg

Straight after the festive period I altered the fire and the speaker to how it is now.

316749-albums897-picture4654.jpg

316749-albums897-picture4648.jpg

The fire is mainly just for show, but it throws some heat out for what it is. I cut out the studwork and double layered the half inch fire proof plasterboard to the reccess. This was then tiled with a Chrome Trim inserted to the outside edge. I am pleased with the end result.

316749-albums897-picture4650.jpg

316749-albums910-picture4780.jpg

316749-albums900-picture4739.jpg

316749-albums900-picture4733.jpg

Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to take some better quality shots with the Big Screen. The mobile camera is a bit naff for night time shots.

316749-albums900-picture4735.jpg

phil5366

Banned
One of the major problems I had was with the TV Bracket. When fixing the bracket to the wall I used 4" x 12mm screws after which you could swing on it. I needed an adjustable bracket because I wanted a nice neat tight finish that I had access to for future upgrades.

04112009547.jpg04112009550.jpg04112009551.jpg

When it came to fixing the Plasma, because of the weight, the TV just would not sit flush or level. It was only a few mill out but this looked really bad, so in the end I used the stand that came with the Plasma. I took the glass away from the stand and refixed it to the TV. This was the answer, and it worked a treat as it also took a lot of the weight off the bracket.
316749-albums897-picture4678.jpg

316749-albums897-picture4676.jpg

You can see the Glass attached to the bracket in the picture above that I had to Frankenstein. You can now just slide the Plasma in and out of the chimney alcove without any problem. This also allows for plenty of room to work without the TV in your way.

Last edited:

phil5366

Banned
hi,

love the fire is it electric ? what model is it

cheers

Thanks,

Yes the fire is electric, the model is Kavachi - Andalusia from B&Q. I have modified it to fit flush into a tiled alcove.
It did'nt cost that much but I think it looks more expensive than it cost.

phil5366

Banned
I have somehow deleted some of the earlier pictures of the Projector Trigger. I have been asked via PM by a few AV members to post how I did the trigger etc.

316749-albums897-picture4696.jpg

In the picture above, to the left hand side of the screen is the white cable & earth wire, this goes from the screen motor through the wall into the garage and wired to the Relay as per the schematic drawing further down.

316749-albums897-picture4671.jpg

The Relay Board above is the little box of tricks that make it all work in sync. This is the first board I used until I swapped it over. The cost of the relay is about £15.00 inc p&p.

316749-albums897-picture4672.jpg

The wiring diagram above.

316749-albums897-picture4690.jpg

On the left hand side you can see the black & white cable, this is the trigger wire. This goes from the projector to the Relay Board in the Garage. In total it is 15 metres long.

316749-albums900-picture4717.jpg

Relay concealed and protected as above. The trunking also has all the CCTV cables concealed within it. Most projectors need an additional power source to work the Trigger as shown in the wiring schematic.
I also use the Relay Board to control the LED lighting to the left and right of the screen.

The Triggers along with the cable can cost anything between £100 - £250 depending what manufacturer you buy them from. I built my own for (Materials Only) about twenty quid!!

I no longer have a pile of remotes in front of me I just press one button on the "Harmony One" and the Projector will turn on, the screen drops down etc. Brilliant!

Ditto for turning off.

Last edited:

phil5366

Banned
As I mentioned earlier I eventually changed the Relay Board over to another as I eventually want to be able to not only control the Lights, Projector & Screen but also my Computer and other things.

316749-albums900-picture4709.jpg

The good thing about this one is its remote control Key Thob. You can control your kit individually.
Once again I must thank "Elootos" for the idea

stevep360

As I mentioned earlier I eventually changed the Relay Board over to another as I eventually want to be able to not only control the Lights, Projector & Screen but also my Computer and other things.

316749-albums900-picture4709.jpg

The good thing about this one is its remote control Key Thob. You can control your kit individually.
Once again I must thank "Elootos" for the idea

where did you get the remote and board from?

phil5366

Banned
316749-albums900-picture4711.jpg

In the picture you can see that I have wired my own relay in the exact same way as "Elootos" except that I have yet to move my PC to the garage and link it all up. That will be next on my list.

Copied from "Elootos" thread, I am sure he wont mind as his thread is what initially inspired me!

316749-albums897-picture4829.jpg

You can see in this picture that I have further control over my AV gear as well as the Harmony One. This is great for when the mates are round and they ask me to show them the screen dropping down without firing up the Projector etc.

phil5366

Banned
I would really appreciate it if all of you AV mad people would take the time to rate my thread. :lease:

I have spent the last few years mesmerised looking and posting on these forums at the great setups that some of you have.:clap:

I know mine is not the best by any means, but I am open to any suggestions or ideas as it will be ongoing etc.:lesson:

Thanks to all that have viewed or posted in the past, present or future.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li