My new GX300 room layout with pics

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by canada16, Aug 20, 2012.

1. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hey eventually got them out of the box, they are massive, I dont think the wife will be happy, but hey, it will be 2-3 days of piece while she doesnt speak to me :eek:, they are twice the size of the RX6 I am selling.

Anyway, on the back there are red and black clips, I have my wires on the HF red and black, what do I do with the remainder red spare clips? Can they be chucked, or do they have to go on the bottom LF inputs?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Never mind had a brain fart.. LOL
    To tired hooking up plasma to wall. and moving these monsters, I started at 4:30 and I am still not done.
    Hooked one into LF and the other into HF and put the spare wire in between the 2.

3. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Ok I am having problems again.

I moved the wires were I had it from one on the LF and one on the HF, but it sounded mudled.

I cant hook up my bannana clips and have both the bindings as they dont fit.

Were should the binding clips go, they are not the same as my RX6.

Thanks

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    If the speakers have FOUR Binding Post or Speaker Terminal on the back, then likely there is either a Jumper Bar connecting the LF (low frequency) PLUS terminal to the HF (high frequency) PLUS, and the same on the MINUS terminals.

Ocassionally, better speakers will have a switch to internally disconnect the LF(+) from the HF(+) and LF(-) form the (HF(-).

If was assume the Jumper Bars are in place or the switch is set to make the same connection then simply connect to one RED termnal and one BLACK terminal. It doesn't matter if it is LF or HF.

People have varying opinions on this. Personally, because the bass speakers take the most power and current, I connect to the LF and let the Jumper Bars carry the signal to the HF.

Others say the best way is to connect to the LF RED(+) and the HF Black(-).

In the end, it really doesn't matter as long as one speaker wire is connected to RED and the other of a wire pair is connected to BLACK.

Here are some diagrams -

[​IMG]

Notice in the Top diagram, the Jumper Bars in YELLOW. These are usually Brass or Gold plated.

[​IMG]

Notice in this image, I have replaced the Jumper Bars with short sections of speaker wire which are attached using Ring Terminals to keep the Jumpers from falling off. The short metal Jumper Bars that come with speakers are replaced by the two short sections of speaker wire shown in the image.

For a vast majority of speakers, they will arrive with the Jumper Bars in place, so again, simply connect to one RED and one Black Terminal, and you should be fine. Which terminal really doesn't matter as long as it is one RED and one BLACK.

Does that help.

Steve/bluewizard

5. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do you have a picture? I'm lost by what you have done. You should have been able to leave the clips in place and just prize out the plastic caps for a set of the terminals and wire to those. I dont' think it matters which, but the LF terminals are closer to the floor, so I would use those.

and yes... they are big speakers... did you not measure up ??? :p

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    I found an image on-line of the speaker terminal of the GX300, or one of the GX floorstanding speakers.

http://avcat.jp/avnews/2010/P1920241r2-.jpg

From -

Monitor Audio Owners Thread

The appear to have short heavy sections of speaker wire connecting the LF(+) to the HF(+) and the LF(-) to the HF(-), as long as those are in place, you can connect to any RED and any BLACK terminal, and the speakers should work fine. Make sure the wire nuts on the unused terminal are tightened on the Jumper Wires.

Logically though, you would want to connect to the Lower Red/Black pair. Alternately, the Upper Red/Black pair.

Steve/bluewizard

7. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Maybe I was just to tierd after lifting a 50" plasma onto the wall by myself and setting up these speakers they were mahoosive.
    I swear the speaker type binders were not big enough to go from red to red and black to black, also when I tried attaching the bindings with the bannana cables they were loose and did not fit. But thanks bluewizard your picture helped a lot. Feel like such a noob. Will have another bash in a hour or so.

8. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    YUP, Definitely way to tired all good. Thanks again bluewizard sound is great now

9. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    LOL... the speakers aren't that heavy each... you should try lifting the GXW15 by yourself... which is what I did when I got mine delivered.

More important than all this - is the wife talking to you or not? Mine has just about forgiven me now... I gave her the dimensions for the GX200s and then the 300s turned up ;)

10. R B Customs

R B Customs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    She will get over it lol ! My missus didn't want me to get the cm8s because they were too small lol. Didn't want anything smaller than cm9s. That was just fine with me !

11. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Wish I had a wife like yours RB. But she said they looked dumb, They do look big. They are a bit heavy, but the problem was lifting them and moving inch by inch until the got in the right place.
    I also had to take a Panny 50" off the wall and move the wall mount higher, then had to lift the 50" almost over my head to get in the brackets.. That was tough.
    Will post a picture later, prob put in the GX section

12. Richy1984

Richy1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Silly question, but if they are so big, then why did you buy them? and why not go for the GX200's instead?!

I'd like to see pictures as I do think theyre very nice looking speakers

13. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I thought I would have enough room, they claim 1060mm but I think that was without plinths, I probably just need to get used to them as they are twice the size of the RX6.
    Here are some pics, I know the GXFX is over the wall a bit, but already had holes drilled from the RXFX and they fit perfect, and cant be bothered to change the placement right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    How does it sound at the front given the uneven spacing of the speakers. That TV is calling out to be mounted above the fireplace with the front speakers either side and an equal distance from it.
    Do you have anything under the centre to decouple it from the stand? Speakers do not generally like being put on the top of racks or shelves as they will interact with it. You can buy isolation pads for reasonable money (was a thread on here not long ago about one which was very cheap). One of these should improve the sound from your centre.

15. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hey

I played with the speaker position for months at first due to the chimney breast, and was even asked if I wanted it removed when we renovated, but that was before I started buying hi-fi stuff, so said no... :facepalm:
    I want to move that fire to the other chimney breast as its 2 rooms knocked into one.
    I found that the 2 speakers under the TV was causing a very narrow sound stage and I was not getting the proper 5.1 were I wanted to hear things flying past me, so this is not to bad, its not ideal, but I am happy.
    The GX350 came with small ISO pads and they are about 2-3mm thick so it is raised off the glass top, but again, no were else to put it, and I have not noticed anything unwanted from were it is.

16. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Great room but the layout of it must be having a HUGE impact on the sound.

You definitely need to get that chimney breast taken out. Mount the screen on the wall and have the L-R speakers eqiudistants in the room!

At least you're half way there with the kit :)

17. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Here's mine mate! Welcome to the GX club!!

image-3117797864.jpg

18. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Dont suppose anyone is a gas fitter and how much it would cost to move a gas fire about 10ft?
    I dont think its causing a HUGE impact, but I think i would get a more balanced sound, but I buy all this stuff and the wife moans for a bit, but she does accept it.
    But i have asked before about this fire and she has put her foot down, but she may be open to move it if I pay for it. Would take a few dates for dinner and maybe watch a show with her.. :D

I would love nothing more than a nice flat wall, but I guess you got to work with what you have, I know it would be some serious work to remove the breast, as you need to remove the stack from the attic then move down to the bedroom, and then remove from the living room, or use RSJ's to support the ground floor to the top floor.

19. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    If the Mrs would let you it might be easier removing the fire mounting the tele to the chimney breast and going from there.

I do honestly believe it'll make a huge difference having everything set up properly. There's only so much the amps eq can compensate for speaker positioning.

20. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +698
    I think you're talking a couple of hundred to move the gas supply and fire. It depends which route the pipework takes. Is it under the floor upstairs and then comes down the chimney? You can save money by making it as easy as possible for the plumber (pulling up carpet and floorboards etc.).

I think it would be well worth doing. You have top class speakers and they deserve better positioning. Visually, it would also look more balanced - use that reason to get the wife onside! Place the TV on the breast, remove the surround, wall mount the centre, speakers either side and shift your kit rack into the corner. Tidy up the hole where the gas fire was and use some ropelight as an attractive feature and to give the illusion of a fire. I think you would both be happy with the results.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  21. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I was thinking of cutting out a center speaker hole in the chimney breast. But this may not be possible. And if its not I will have a center speaker leaning to either side of the chimney. The pipe does go from upstairs, so not sure if it can be run along the floor boards. My other won't allow me to remove floor boards upstairs, also they are toung and grove and a nightmare to get up and put back down.

22. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +698
    Why can't you wall mount the centre on the chimney breast? (assuming the fire has gone)

It may be possible to re-route the pipework without disturbing upstairs or even cap it off without affecting the supply elsewhere.

23. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    I would not put the centre into a hole in the chimney as they will really affect the sound. Speakers are designed to be used in free space and putting them in a tight hole will cause sound issues. Using a bracket and putting it on the wall would be the better option. If you want a flush look then get an inwall speaker (I believe MA do a gold in wall speaker) as this will be designed to be used in a hole in the wall. With the TV above on the chimney that could be a very neat looking setup.

24. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If I want to have the TV on the chimney breast and I cant have the center in a drilled out hole in the breast, that would mean I would have to have the center on the left or right of the chimney, I could not wall mount it as the gold is massive, and really deep 333mm I would look really funny sticking out that much below the TV IMO... Dont you think ?

25. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Is there a dedicated stand for the centre like there is for the platinum?

Maybe use that to mount the centre in front of the chimney breast mount the screen on the wall at a sensible height and each speaker in the alcoves either side.

I don't know what the other side of your room looks like but you would ideally need to be sitting in front of the screen/centre speaker to get the full effect.

26. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Funny enough arcam, the other side of the room looks exactly the same, and I would move it all over there, but there is a door there and I could only fit a 3 seater sofa which I do not want to buy as its a waste, when I could just run gas along the alcoves.

27. canada16

canada16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well just spoke with her, she said I put up with your AV stuff, so you can respect my one request, the fire is not being moved.. Ah well, she is right, its not just my room, I think it would look better, but she likes the fire were it is. So looks like I will have to make due with what I have.

28. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,968
    Guess the good lady has a valid point..................

Job done then!

29. Gboardman1959

Gboardman1959

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Have you shown her some of the builds in the DIY forums that did the trick for me

30. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +698
    Getting your L/R speakers into the alcoves is a win-win situation for you both. You gain better separation, your wife gains space in the room and a tidier layout.

Mounting a screen above a fire is not ideal but not insurmountable. A discreet heatshield could be fitted below the TV.

So that just leaves the centre speaker. You could dispense with it and go with a phantom centre (probably not what you want to hear given your outlay). What could work is mounting it on a moveable floor plinth - wheel it into position when watching a film and then out of the way at other times.