• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My new computer, what do you think?

S

S//Punk

i recently ( couple of months ago) got a new computer :)
would like to know what you think, was i ripped off/did i get a bargain?

over all i payed £1054.00

Hardware:
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 910mp 19" with integrated speakers (virtual dolby)
Base Unit: Packard Bell Iextreme 1907
CPU: pentium 4 - 650 (3.4ghz)
Ram: 2gig
Hard Drive: 2x 200gig (factory restore on HD no. 1) (actuall formatted capacity = 2x 186gig IDE
Video card: ATI Radeon 9550 with 256mb ram
Optical Drives: 1x dvd drive, 1x DVD rewriter +/-, etc...
Memory Card Reader: 15 in one
Floppy disk drives: None
USB: 6
Firewire: None :(
Sound Card: Realtec audio (dunno which one)
Mouse/Keyboard: RF logitech (wireless)

Software:
Office: None
Security: Norton internet security 2005
*note since buying i have added hoards of software including lots of security software and openoffice.

so tell me what you think...

deksawyer

£1054.00 and you didn't even get a floppy disk drive............tsk!!!:devil:

D.

Pebb

Distinguished Member
I think you have just been totaly ripped off. I got these parts last year for £850 which I used with some old parts and they are:

AMD 64 3500+ - Got last year for £195
Asus AV8 Deluxe 939 socket - Got this last year for £65 - £70
2GB of DDR3200 Cas 2 Dual Channel ram (2x 1GB Dimms) - Got last month: Got for £158
256MB GF6800 GT AGP - Got last year for about £205
600watt ATX 2.0 PSU - Got last year for £80
New PC Case - Got this last year for about £80
120MM Heatsink - Got this last year, but I cannot remember the price.

Also some of the other parts did not have to be added. Even the motherboard might of costed more last year guys.

The Realtec audio is onboard you motherboard, plus you can get 500GB of SATA2 16MB Cache 7200RPM for about £250 now mate. One more thing I think you should of got a corded mouse, because still wireless mouses are not good for gaming.

B

Brakeinup

TVR_Fan said:
....One more thing I think you should of got a corded mouse, because still wireless mouses are not good for gaming.

I don't agree with your last statement - I play a lot of FPS games on my Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard without any performance issues. Only time I have a problem is when the batteries get low (about 3 to 4 months of use).

To the OP - thats was, in my opinion, too much money for what you got.

D

DaveP

Packard Bell is not my favourite brand and the graphics card isn't too hot either.

Sorry for the negative reviews but you should really have asked here before you spent your hard earned

mjn

Distinguished Member
Yes, i'm afraid there's nothing extreme about that PC :( at that price!

Pebb

Distinguished Member
Brakeinup said:
I don't agree with your last statement - I play a lot of FPS games on my Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard without any performance issues. Only time I have a problem is when the batteries get low (about 3 to 4 months of use).

To the OP - thats was, in my opinion, too much money for what you got.
Try and move it all around really quickly.

S

S//Punk

(added the cpu)

wow, well it certainly seemed like a good idea at the time. so how could i have got more for my price, any ideas??

Cable Monkey

There is nothing wrong with your pc. Granted you may have been able to assemble yourself for less (using peripherals you already own) but none of that comes with the warranty that your pc has, or the peace of mind that should something be wrong, you or your credit card company can pursue it and hopefully resolve it if necessary. If you had asked here you would no doubt have been pointed elsewhere, but that is no guarantee that you would end up with a machine any more capable of what is required of it from your point of view, even if its benchmarks were masive.
A mate of mine went for a Packard Bell after choosing not to accept my offer of building for him. It still works, is on 24/7 and still makes him go 'wow!' when he plays Doom 3. And when his PSU fan failed, it was replaced with no hesitation or complaints from PCWorld. He got what he needed. Pretty much anything more would have been just willy waving!

richjthorpe

Just been on to ebuyer and scoped your PC. It came to 750GBP without the monitor.

But, I couldn't find your monitor any cheaper than 320GBP so a total of 1070GBP and then you would have to build it yourself without warranty. Although you would have had the luxury of choosing your components.

All in all, it's not that bad a deal, not the best but from what can see, not the worst.

HTH,

Richie.

B

Brakeinup

TVR_Fan said:
Try and move it all around really quickly.

In relation to what game? :)

I play games that require fast reactions and rapid mouse movement. BF2 for example. Half Life 2 is another. The wirelss optical mouse I have does not have a problem with these games.

S

S//Punk

Cable Monkey said:
There is nothing wrong with your pc. Granted you may have been able to assemble yourself for less (using peripherals you already own) but none of that comes with the warranty that your pc has, or the peace of mind that should something be wrong, you or your credit card company can pursue it and hopefully resolve it if necessary. If you had asked here you would no doubt have been pointed elsewhere, but that is no guarantee that you would end up with a machine any more capable of what is required of it from your point of view, even if its benchmarks were masive.
A mate of mine went for a Packard Bell after choosing not to accept my offer of building for him. It still works, is on 24/7 and still makes him go 'wow!' when he plays Doom 3. And when his PSU fan failed, it was replaced with no hesitation or complaints from PCWorld. He got what he needed. Pretty much anything more would have been just willy waving!

thanks for that, apparently it was the most powerful machine pcworld had in their store at that time so i think i did ok on that purchase actually :)

B

Brakeinup

S//Punk said:
thanks for that, apparently it was the most powerful machine pcworld had in their store at that time so i think i did ok on that purchase actually :)

If you are happy with your purchase then it doesn' matter !! :) :) :)

Enjoy

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I just put together a new PC. I used my already owned LG DVD writer, Maxtor 80, 300GB hard disks, Mouse and Keyboard. I also have a Hansol 17" LCD.

All bought for £450.

Aspire X Q-Pak Case
Athlon 64 3700
Kingston 2GB PC3200
Asrock 939NF4G-SATA2 mobo
USB 2.0 PCI Card (gives a total of 10 USB 2.0 sockets)
Trust 511 sound card
Internal Card Reader (coming shortly)

I will be replacing the DVD writer to a black one in the near future. I am using teh onboard Geforce 6100 graphics at the moment. I may upgrade to a proper card once I got the funds.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom