1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my new cdp...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mr Cat, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    hi folks,
    just a quick one here - I got a new NAD C521BEE cd player yesterday (115 quid and only a month old!) which I got to replace my aging Yamaha cd675(?) which was running through my modded DAC (thanks Zanash - top job by a top bloke!)...

I first tested the cd player without the DAC and on some tracks it did sound a bit harsh (leftfields - rhythm and stealth) - but I put that down to the newness of the cd player..? (how long do they take to settle down / burn in?)
    tho, I did hear sounds that I hadn't previously...

then I plugged in my DAC and played KLF's - chillout cd and Paul Wellers live accoustic cd - days of speed...wow, they sounded amazing, a lot more punch and clarity....I didn't have a chance the play leftfield as it was getting late...

but...my questions is - since I've got a new cdp and it's running through the DAC - then, would there be any difference compared to that of my yammy cdp since the're only being used as a spinner..??

I haven't done a direct comparison between the cdps using the DAC, but I'm fairly sure that the NAD C521BEE sounds far better...

the specs are as follows -
    yammy - 20 bit DAC with 120x oversampling

NAD C521BEE - Burr-Brown Sigma-Delta 20 bit D>A Converter, 8x oversampled digital filter

MF DAC - 18 bit modded burr-brown dac with updated caps and resistors

cheers

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Easy answer, not all transports are equal.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, I've noticed a hell of an improvment over the weekend, it's sounds great with all genres of music...

I'm mightily impressed...!