1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new car

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by mcfarfs, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Morning! :hiya:

I bought a new car on Friday, a 3 door Ford Fiesta Zetec :thumbsup: . Can't find the camera at the moment, so I can't include a picture right now.

And obviously,very high on my list of priorities is to upgrade the sound system.

Have any of you guys used caraudiocentre.co.uk before? How would you rate them?

I have been looking at these 13 cm door speakers, and these 6x9s for the parcel shelf. Do you think they would be ok? Would I need an amp to drive them, or could I just plug them straight into the head unit?

Cheers.

2. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Been a while since I’ve had any ICE to play with but looking at the wattage of the speakers and guessing at the output of the radio I would say you need an amp to get good results from those speakers.
    Be warned ICE can get to be an addictive past time. :)

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I got carried away with my last install and spent just over 5k on a system. 3 amps and 11 speakers :eek:

Bloody Credit Card :oops:

I used Prestige Audio.

http://www.prestige-audio.co.uk/

4. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Yeah its so easy to carried away I had 8 Speakers and 3 amps at one point :eek: plus an active crossover mounted in the centre console so I could tweak as I was driving along. (I dread to think how dangerous that was) I think I spent about a 1k on my equipment and tought myself to install it, tho did get my bro to make a custom boot enclosure for me. I remember people telling me that my system sounded loads better than most installs that were twice the price. Funny if I had the time and money I wouldnt never have such a big and loud system again, when your 17 the noise from two 12" subs brings a smile to your face but as you get older it makes me cringe when I hear people driving past. :)

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would get a set of components and mount the tweeters on the dashboard if there isn't a speaker pod already there. Reason being, if you get the speakers you've linked, they have tweeters mounted on top of the bass driver which not only distorts the bass frequencies but also, your ears aren't around your ankles either !

Personally, I wouldn't go for 6x9s in the back, just get some decent fillers. You want the music to eminate from the dashboard and not from behind (Think of a concert).

It depends on the head unit for power. If it's the OEM headunit, it would probably sound a bit shoddy anyway. I've got a Pioneer HU that's 4 years old and produces 4x45 watts driving Rainbow 6" components. The HU does a pretty good job although does run out of steam near the top, but I'm happy. HUs nowadays have in excess of 50watts per channel. Also, I wouldn't have though the OEM HU would have the pre-outs needed for an amp (Amps can be fed hi level (Speaker) signals, but line level (Phono) is better).

Hopt this helps,

Richie.

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers guys, some really useful info! :thumbsup:

Attached is a few pics.

I'm really pleased with the car, just need to sort out tax and insurance and then I will be on the road! Albeit with my mum and the L plates. :(

Attached Files:

7. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Nice car fella i used to have one of those Zetecs. Was a great runner especially when i was 19 and had 9 points on my license - thanks Fords for giving me free insurance.

Is it the 1.25 or 1.4 engine u got in there??

Dal

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It is the 1.25.

I have been told it is quite a nippy engine, I havn't driven it yet because I havn't sorted out tax and insurance.

9. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    They are very nippy indeed. your be impressed with it mate - :thumbsup:

looks like u have a good one there.

Dal

10. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well took her for a drive just now, having sorted my tax & insurance :thumbsup: .

Only thing is the biting point of the clutch is very difficult to feel, in comparison to the Corsa I'm learning in with my instructor, so it started to pull away before I even felt it bite. Quite confusing but I'm sure I will get the hang of it.

Anyway I love it! :p :devil:

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You'll have it in a few weeks time and will be able to jump from vehicle to vehicle without any trouble.

I like the vans at work - all of the pedals are more like on/off switches. :)

12. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to put a downer on this, but have you had your Fiesta inspected? It looks like it's had some pretty hefty damage to the right rear panel (fit of the window and bumper is poor, overspray on the rubbing strip, and still a dent in the top part of the panel).

It would be well worth getting it checked out: an impact here could easily damage the rear suspension. Better safe than sorry...

13. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I havn't had it inspected yet, no.

It has been HPI checked (the bloke gave me a printout off the internet saying it was all clear, although the website at the bottom of the page was an IP address, which seems most odd.)

It is being serviced on Wednesday by a local mechanic and family friend, so I will find out if it is ok then.

What is wrong with the fit of the window? The bumper is a bit iffy if looked at closely, in comparison with the left hand side.

There isn't actually overspray on the rubber strip, just looks like it because the image is crap from when I made it smaller. Actually when I looked at the rubber strip closely, it has a small amount of green sort of moss stuff round the edge. Would this indicate it is not a new panel?

I hope it is ok! :rolleyes:

14. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry too much then! From the picture, it looks like overspray on the rubbing strip, and the rear side window doesn't look like it fits at the bottom. But moss is a good sign: it means it hasn't been disturbed!

I hope it's all OK, and that it's just muck on the image.