My new 28PW9617 (Pixel Plus)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Nyquil Driver, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done this twice before....
    Started a thread with my newly-purchased TV as the subject. On both previous occasions (Panny PL1/JVC S2) the driving force of my comments was "Oh dear! what a waste of money!" and I had to start subsequent threads asking for help/assistance with my situation. So, rather than hi-jack the long (and mostly speculative) Pixel-Plus thread, I thought I may aswell complete the trilogy of sets I've recently bought and go into detail here....

As a final-word on my dealings with Hi-Spek, I simply can't praise them enough for their reliability and professional service as a whole. They were always helpful on the phone, never quibbled with me over the exchange and always kept to their word with delivery dates and arrangements. Also, I have to thank everyone who offered advice in the 'visiting engineer' thread again as I don't think I'd have swapped the set otherwise....

Anyway, is the Philips any good? and is it free of faults?. I'd have to answer with a resounding YES to both those questions!. I originally wanted a 50Hz set costing about £650 (didn't like processing, didn't believe in spending too much on a TV), so it's bizarre that I've ended up with a 100Hz set costing nearly a grand!. Still, I'm finally happy with my purchase, so that's what matters.

The first thing I tried was a DVD actually. A more patient man would have taken the time to get acquainted with the menus and properly store all the channels, but I just couldn't wait!. I used the R4 of True Lies (skipped to the finale with the jump-jet) and was thoroughly impressed. This was with pixel-plus ON of course and the image was superbly sharp and defined. I had a quick look at the geometry (2.35:1 bars are good for showing bends), and thankfully it looked fine.

Tuning the channels in took a while though. I normally like to see how far I can get without using a manual but in this case I couldn't even find the install menu without help!. Moving channels and naming them is a bit laborious (the menus are SLOW!), but I got there in the end. Analogue TV looks like digital TV now in actual fact (that's both a compliment and a criticism depending on your outlook). Although the image is clearer, grain-free and more desirable, it's ever-so-slightly 'unreal' too. The snowy elements on weaker channels are almost completely gone, but the new images are lacking in natural detail (so, as mentioned in the other thread, people can look like wax-work dummys). Changing the digital settings and the DNR around allow you to exagerrate/reduce this effect, so it isn't a problem (I've never had such clear terrestrial pictures before BTW!).

Back to DVD's and it's safe to say that they look absolutely superb. Again, you have to set everything up correctly and there's no shortage of options (including things like Colour enhancement, dynamic contrast and active control). P+ makes the picture look clearer, but the on-screen movement can take some getting used to (there aren't any gaps between frames!). A purist could probably argue that the film-like presentation we're used to is preferable, but I doubt they'd be able to turn off P+ once they'd seen it running.

Take film credits for example- If you switch on the split-screen (100hz left, P+ right) the names amble up the screen on the left in an obviously interlaced fashion, wheras the names on the right 'slide' up in a smooth/seamless way. The movement of people on-screen can appear rather strange at times though (especially if they're moving quickly as the camera sways about) and the illusion of excessively fast motion occasionally presents itself. I think it must be an illusion though as common-sense tells me that if the image was occasionally too fast, then it would eventually get ahead of itself and be out-of-sync with the audio (which never happens). It certainly doesn't back-track as that would be juddery and obvious (this effect isn't). So far, I've only watched clips from films that I've seen countless times before, so maybe my memory of the absent frames is mis-leading me?.

I probably lost a few forum members with that previous paragraph, but I think other P+ owners will know what I'm on about. I'm not being negative in any way, but if I just praised everything I liked about the set this would be a very boring post (yes, even more boring than it is now!) and I think it's obvious that I'm chuffed. I wasn't totally 'Amazed' by P+ to the extent that I was expecting, but mine's only a 28" model anyway. The additional resolution will be vital on a 32/36" version and I can see why people would swoon over it at that size.

So, it's early days, but I wouldn't swap this TV for any other CRT currently available.

2. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much appreciated - makes the buy consideration easier and easier with 'real world' examples of the TV..

Andy

3. shaf

shaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Very good review! I am pleased that you are happy with your philips, it is a nice set.

I also find P+ to be great, only criticim is at times it gives that 'soap/drama' look to a film, which I don't like. But your right the positives outweigh the negatives.

I also thought the cordless surround speakers work really well, working in sync with the movie.

Shaf.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Pixel Plus is tops, 28" and 32" have the cordless rear speakers, 36" has corded rear speakers.

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Positive, but be carefull with those speakers.
    The guy next door to mine bought it (32") last weekend and in his room they were interfeering with something. We checked it in my flat and it all worked perfectly.
    He had to forget about cordless !
    Cheers