My New 28" JVC AVS2

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Nyquil Driver, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd fill you all in on my most recent attempt to aquire a satisfactory TV (everyone loves a horror story!). Having just got rid of an objectionable PL1 which had 3 visible bars, RGB probs, random interference (and one or two other issues arising from the 'cheap as poss' build quality). I finally decided on a JVC AV28S2 (It's the one with an I-Mac style frame which currently retails for £799). I went through an arduous process of elimination to arrive at this model although I was VERY close to buying an FT1 until I demoed a set and decided I couldn't live with the iffy 4:3 geometry. Therefore (rightly or wrongly), I presumed that spending a bit extra would get me the good performance of the FT1 and decent geometry to boot.

Well... The first thing I should say is that the "out of the box" set-up was glaringly improper and the screen was about 2" too low, actually cutting off most of the text that would normally be visible on The Box cable channel. The bars at the sides of the 4:3 image were just as bad (or worse!) than the FT1 I saw. Tut!, so far so horrendous.

I took some deep breaths and reasoned with myself that I could sort it out in the service menu. I tried a DVD first because I thought the positioning might be different for an RGB source. So I tried one and I have to say I was very impressed. It looked very cinematic and well defined and unlike the 4:3 mode, was positioned (more or less) correctly. Things were picking up I thought!. Instead of tuning everything in properly and trying things out, I HAD to try and rectify the nasty screen placement first. I found out how to enter the service menu from this forum and I actually found the geometry options a joy to use once I'd built up the courage. I sorted out the positioning straight away (V shift +3) and after about 40 minutes of careful tweaking I somehow fluked the 4:3 bars into a tolerable shape aswell (didn't really have a clue what I was doing though).

For the next few hours I was happy as Larry watching regular TV and adjusting the picture features/settings to see what looked best. I watched some more choice clips from my DVD collection and was again bowled over by the calm quality on offer. I thought I'd be posting a massive recommendation for this seemingly fantastic set on here....... but as always with these things, there's a fly in the ointment:-

Watching DVD's for any length of time proved to be a chore because there's a collection of dotty lines visible at the edges of the image. It's the pin-cushion effect basically (some magazines describe it as 'static interference'). I'd read about the phenomenen beforehand (and seen lesser evidence of it on one or two display models), so it's probably a bit rich complaining about it now. In my defence though, I had no idea it would be SO pronounced and constant. You see, my previous Philips had it too, but it wasn't anything like as noticeable (and half the size aswell). It would be okay if it was thin and hard to see (as I expected), but the two strips of dots cover a massive area of the screen (probably as much as a third if you add them both together). So, assuming it doesn't have the dotty problem, an FT1 might have been the better option. Thing is, I didn't think the service menu would be half as versatile and effective as it proved to be, so now I can't help wondering what a 'rectified' FT1 would be like.

Have I made mistake? I'm not sure yet (possibly considering the cost). The overall geometry's very accurate though and I like the features/menus. I'm pleased with the general picture aswell although I haven't been able to watch anything of any real length without being distracted by the dots.

I suppose I might learn to live with it given time..... (/Violins playing/).

2. pavement

pavement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had two of these (now changed for a 28LS35) if you can't return it and the effect is driving you nuts try this, you'll loose the anomorrphic resolution on R2 but you won't notice the effect as much. Simply set your DVD player to output to a 4:3 Letterbox image rather than a 16:9 tv on both of mine this turned the lines into a less intrusive dotiness. R1 DVD's can be played with the player set to 16:9 as the lower resolution doesn't cause the lines just the dots. If you're playing with the service menu you'll find that stretching the image vertically turns the lines to dots but you end with a very tall image.

If you can't get it changed I hope this helps

3. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a 32 inch FT1 from unbeatable in December and also had the same problem with moire (the pincushion effect).

As well as that it also had terrible 4:3 geometry and noticable flicker on NTSC DVDs but not PAL - but only in one corner !

Maybe I would have been able to live with only one of these problems but not all three so back it went for a full refund.

I now have a Sony KD32DX40 that I'm pretty happy with.

Ronnie

4. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pavement- Yes, it's much more noticeable on R2 discs as it becomes a kind of patterny presence rather than the usual dottiness. I'll try your suggestion, but it kind of defeats the object of paying so much for a 16:9 set!. Thanks for your input though.

Ronnie- That's the first time I've heard anything especially bad about that JVC model (4:3 geometry excepted), so I'm glad you've spoken up and I do find it re-assuring that I might not have been any better off with an FT1.