My neighbour just got a ultra sonic cat repeller, and it's effecting my dog!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 1iam5mith, Aug 23, 2013.

1. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    If I am in the garden or bathroom I can hear a really high pitched sound, but older people can't hear it, and recently my dog is always whimpering and depressed and trys not to go into the garden, where do I stand on asking the neighbour to take it down? Do I ask them directly? Do I call anyone else? Luckily my room is at the front of the house and can't hear it in there, so me and the dog have been camping out in my room recently!

Are they allowed to have one of these in their back garden? The houses aren't private, they're housing association.

2. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Can be argued as anti social behaviour if the sound causes distress to you and your dog. Complain to your housing association.

3. wilbanat

wilbanat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,542
    Those things are Horrible and make me feel ill....I would talk to the people first as they may not realize it causes problems to neighbours.

4. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Getting your neighbour to move it in their garden could help - they're supposed to be muffled by any barrier including a fence. And they only operate in a certain arc, so pointing that away from your property would also be a fix.
    They could be more open to the idea of moving it than removing.

Also, suggest to them that it could be faulty. Usually the sound is only triggered when motion is detected.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,438
    I would definitely try talking top the neighbor first!

6. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    this, anyone reasonable would just take it down

7. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    They could move the device to a different place. They shouldn't have to remove it completely as they bought it for a very good reason, and it was not to annoy your dog. Just a friendly chat would suffice. Nobody would buy a device to specifically disturb your dog. Anti social behaviour? I think not!
    I think that allowing cats to use others' gardens as toilets and restaurants is a lot more anti social than unintentionally distressing a neighbours dog.

Often they have a sensitivity or range adjustment which could be turned down to the point that it doesn't disturb your dog but hopefully is effective at removing those pesky felines. The noise should not be constant. It should only be when movement is detected. If its constant then something is wrong. Sometimes even the frequency (pitch) can be adjusted to a higher frequency so you can't hear it.
    If their model doesn't have such adjustments you could recommend that they do some research into one that does.

I'd like to know where you get them from, I need some to get rid of the cats that come into my garden and make crime scenes. If I were your neighbour, I'd be disheartened if I was told to remove it immediately, I'd rather take the steps that I could so that I could repel cats without annoying others' pets, hopefully your neighbour would agree.

What next, are we not allowed ultrasonic mouse deterrents because it disturbs the hamster next door? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  8. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    I doubt there are standards for these things so it could well be operating in the wrong frequency range - this would be supported by you being ale to hear it.

9. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,517
    I have 2 and they are motion activated. They shouldn't be on all the time as it drains the batteries really fast. You can adjust both the motion detection angle and the frequency.

We have one attached to one end of the car port then we manually place one on top of my wife's car each night as the cats liked to sleep on the soft top. Seems to work.

10. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,949
    Keep putting cat poo on their lawn. They'll eventually think it doesn't work and get rid of it