Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

My NEC Vs. My Panasonic

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by gizlaroc, Jan 20, 2005.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I decided that I wanted to add a Mac Mini to my front room, just something that can surf the net, get emails, view holiday pics and movies and is very neat and easy to use.
    Problem is my Panasonic PW6 has only got a resolution or 864x480, not good for a desktop. This got me thinking about upgrading the screen to a higher resolution one.
    The obvious choice, and my first choice, was the Pioneer 435XDE, great looking, has all the inputs and can handle 99% of signals even with HDCP. However after viewing these at various places and with various inputs I knocked this on the head, which was a real shame as I could of got the screen for £2900 minus an extra 10% discount and on interest free.

After reading up loads and speaking to a few people about the various screens out there and seeing loads of them, I ended up ordering an NEC XM3 without even seeing it, risky yes, but I have already decided that if I really don't like it I will sell it on and start over.

So the screen arrived at 4.30pm today, straight up on the wall and plugged in where the panasonic was and for now using the same bnc cable from my Zektor component switcher.
    I have only seen Sky running so far (this is using a JS RGB-YUV transcoder) and the first thing that hit me was the black level.
    No where near the Panasonic, I have the screen set to

Theater 2
    Noise Reduction OFF
    colour temp MID LOW
    contrast 25
    brightnes 32 (middle setting, blacks don't seem to get any black when you lower it)
    colour 22
    Sharpness 1
    Gamma 3
    low tone 2

The blacks on the Panasonic look black, on the NEC they are grey, I will have to have more of a play with this, at the moment dark scenes look washed out, if I can't improve this the screen will go.

Next, it struck me just how analogue looking the Panasonic picture is compared with other digital screens, the NEC is not bad compared with teh Pioneer panels but still not as analogue as the Panny.

I will have a play around some more and report my findings. One thing that is an improvement is how much more snap the screen has, which probably doesnt help the digital look, the Panasonic really is like looking through a window on the world.

So far I would say that with SD material the Panasonic is the more accurate screen. I may try a scaler in the link and see if that changes things, maybe with all that extra resolution it needs some help?

but considering I just sold my PW6 for £1000 with a dual imput board and this has cost £2500 I know which is the better deal!! ;)

Anyway I will play some more and add to this thread if/when I discover anything to write about.

2. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Please keep us updated on how the tweaking improves the picture. I had come to the same conclusion that the XM3 would be the one to go for but couldn't face handing over the cash without seeing the screen.

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Presumably why Pioneer bought them..! ;)

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Spent a few hours trying different settings last night and have to say that it produced some of the best images I have ever seen from UK TV.
    Studio shots from the BBC etc. look absolutely stunning, colours are very accurate and the image is very sharp, which is strange considering how much scaling is going on.
    Watched bits of Bulletproof Monk and again there were scenes when the image was just stunning (still Sky btw), however I am still not sure about the black level, on scenes where there is a lot of dark area on screen it can look a little washed out compared with the Pansonic. I would probably prefer to loose the brighter screen for a deeper black level.

Solarisation is pretty much non existent, or to the point where I have not noticed it.

Funny thing is there were 3 of us here whilst I was playing around last night with the screen, and the other 2 said that without doubt they thought the NEC was far superior in every respect, I on the other hand am not sure.
    I really like the way the Panny looks like an analogue display. Maybe I have been looking at the panny for 6 months and this is what I expect now so anything different will take time to adjust to.
    Having said that, this morning while I am typing this the screen already looks less digital, so maybe it needs to calm down a bit and settle in, can anyone else comment if they have noticed a difference with their NEC after a few days use?

I did quickly try a couple of HD clips last night too, "Meet The Fockers" on DivX HD and T2 WMV trailer, absolutely wonderful, and the black level seemed as good as the Panny, detail was excellent too, not as good as say D-Theater but very impressive.

5. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good to hear that things are improving. Can you let me know what the picture is like with sport (particularly football) ? This was the downfall of the 435XDE and it would be good to confirm that the same problem doesn't exist on the NEC.

6. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any chance of posting a pic of the NEC and Panny showing the same scene from a DVD if possible?

7. d3ll

d3ll
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't you be tempted to take that 6 out of it's box guy :nono:
    only joking mate :smashin: glad you got your new screen
    interesting your point about the blacks on the nec versus the panny. one of the main reasons I wanted the panny.
    hope you manage to get to grips with the nec as looking forward to a demo when I come to collect the panny next w/end :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    OK some people have asked for some screen shot comparisons. Please excuse the funny angles etc. but it was the only way I had of doing these shots and they are only really to give you a basic idea on the three main points that I think people are interested in apart from compatability, which are colour, detail and black level. Processing is obviously just as important but you can't capture that on camera.

One thing to mention was I threw Avia out the window with both of these displays in every shot bar the last one (NEC) with Hoffman in it (had to use the xbox as no dvd here at the mo btw.), and I think you will agree the screens colour, contrast settings look pretty similar when done by eye, on the first screenshot, weeks apart.

First shots are to show detail, the camera can not pick out as much as you can see whilst in front of the screen but it does a pretty good job.
    Have a look at the objects to the left of the shot and you will be able to see it is alot clearer, this gives the image alot more depth.

Panasonic
    [​IMG]

NEC
    [​IMG]

The next shot is to show the difference in black levels so I coose pretty much as black as you are going to get while keeping some contrast on screen.

Panasonic
    [​IMG]

NEC
    [​IMG]

And finally a shot to show overall colour etc.

Panasonic
    [​IMG]

NEC
    [​IMG]

The one thing the camera can not show is just how much brighter the NEC is compared with the Panasonic, I don't have a clue what the specs are but it jumps off the screen with any bright scenes!!

Overall I actually prefer the Panasonics darker blacks to the NEC's brighter, more detailed, more colourful and more 3D like image. The Panasonic is probably what I have been looking at for the last 6 months and what I know, to me it just seems more natural, not as exciting, but definitely more natural, but then I don't like digital projectors compared with a crt and find them hard to enjoy.

So anyone want a 1 day old NEC Hi-Def plasma with 2 years warranty delivered and a couple of hundred quid saving on new??

9. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the photos.

Yeah looking at the photos, the NEC does appear to be brighter, I cant really see the difference in blacks (doesnt help viewing this on my crappy monitor)

I guess to really see it, you have to be there in the flesh to really appreciate any differences.

Horneydragon is doing a mega plasma test next week including the PW7 and VR5.

Thanks again for your troubles taking the photos.

:clap:

PS Is the first screenshot on the Panny zoomed in at all? You can see more of the pause button on the NEC?

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Not zoomed in but me standing a little closer :)

The panasonic was sitting in the bottom section of its box under the NEC on the wall so it was nearer, I then have a chest in fron tof it, hence the funny angles.

My room to see what I mean.

[​IMG]

11. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I do see now, thanks for correcting me.

I see there is quite a big improvement in detail in the first shot, NEC far clearer.

Would this be down to its resolution being higher?

12. kron

kron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I see what you meen about the blacks although the panny loses out because of this in the background of that shot with hoffman, definately more detail in shadows with the nec imho.
    could you please comment on the build quailty of the two screens, whats the bezel like on the nec someone said it looked a bit plasticy in another thread iirc.

Thanks for all your efforts :smashin:

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Not sure if it is because the resolution is higher or becuse of better processing?

The NEC is built as well if not better than the Panasonic.
    The remote is superb too, it has a seperate button for component, RGB, DVI, video etc. rather than having to scroll through the inputs.

Also the NEC is a joy to use with all the picture tweaking for gamma and colour etc.
    You can also reconfigure all the inputs as scarts, in other words tell teh screen that teh VGA is a scart and add a scart to vga cable from sky, or do the same with the BNC connectors.
    So you can buy a £20 scart to 4 bnc cable and not have to buy a £150 JS transcoder.
    It is little things like this that make it a joy to use.

14. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much do u plan to sell ur nec gizlaroc?

Was initially planning to get a black vm5 but jus wondering if i could sacrifice on the colour from black to silver and be tempted to go over budget for a hd version :suicide:

15. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    gizlaroc

Photos dont seem to be loading, any chance of sending me the originals?

16. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    giz,

Just noticed your sig :rotfl: :rotfl:

Used that one before! ;)

JJ

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Plasmosis, not sold it yet, someone is having a look this evening.

406lx I don't know why they are not loading for you? I will email them tomorrow as they are onmy work laptop, if you still need me too.

18. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They are loading now.

Thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

19. ex_directory

ex_directory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey Plasmosis,
    While you were down in zone 1 I was working out how quick I could meet up with gizlaroc.

Yep, you got it, picked it up last night, didn't even get to look at the VM5 but was completely blown away by the XM3 that I had to have it. Fortunately not owning a panny before I had nothing to compare the blacks to (apart from my 32" WS CRT) and to be honest was just completely blown away. Compared to the PW6 and Hit 5100 models there was just no comparison alhough of course they were within my budget!

Good to meet Gizlaroc, we tried loads of sources but Monsters Inc was comparable to the Pio XDE, Vertical Limit outside snow seens were fantastic and Sky was probably the best I have seen on any plasma. Brightness is the biggest thing that hits you.

Needless to say I have gone completely beyond planned budget. Highly, highly recomended. Will let you all see some pics when it is on the wall, stand from RS/100 and van damme cable from nexnix arriving tomorrow.

May have to fake something to avoid family visits this weekend ;)

Still in the box, can't wait to play... can you tell I am happy?
    Ex

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Haha!!

You have only just started to blow the budget mate!!

21. ex_directory

ex_directory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Sshhhh! In fact after the weekend I intend to be surfing sitting in the lounge so in case she is around we won't talk about budgets anymore.

Until I hide all the kit in a cabinet I suspect the line "no, I've had it for months" won't work, especially since anything I get that is knew I can't wait to show off!

22. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    :)

I have come to the conclusion that I can replace my pw6 with an hd6 and she won't even know! So I can add a crystalio scaler and say I spent the money on that instead. :)

23. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Check the threads on the 42HD before you buy!!! :suicide:

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Why what is wrong with it??

25. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm sure I read about some issues affecting the 42HD only... I'll try and find the thread...

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    There are some issues with fluctuating brightness on the HD7. Is that what you are thinking of??

27. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes I think so... I can't find the thread ATM, but from memory I think it affects the S-Video input...

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Yeah it is, i started to follow the thread on avs but then realised that I would never use S-video anyway so gave up on it.

29. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    S-Video and fluctuating brightness are different issues. The brightness issue is only relevant to 42HD7 models and is present on all inputs, S-Video issue has been noticed on all 7 series panasonics.

30. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats on ur purchase ex.... If u read the earlier post i thought about blowing my budget for gizlaroc xr3 but u moved faster than me... hahaha. Hope to see some pics soon. good luck with the wknd..... green with envy here.... haha.