my nearly finished TV wall mounting project

ronmc

Standard Member
Just thought I would post a topic on my TV install.
I have been looking at some of the other install threads in here and have been impressed.
I got my TV back in January this year and have only just got round to getting it mounted on the wall over the past week.
Originally the wall we used was the favoured chimney breast wall.
As there was no fire there it made it easier as there was nothing to get ripped out.
The idea from the start was to build an extension to the chimney breast that would allow me to have the tv on the wall with my AV gear below. The tv had to be flush with the front facing
I started taking the plasterboard of the walls to begin with, then mounting the bracket.
The bracket was from AV Supports.
The first pic is slightly skee whiff when i took it, but was just to show the Tv mounted.

2nd pic shows where the fire would sit. For me it would house a cabinet for the sky, dvd etc.

3rd pic shows a trial pic of the wooden unit.

4th without tv and unit at a distance

5th pic shows the start of the wooden frame.

6th pic shows more of the frame in place. The centre speaker has been mounted for a trial fit above the tv. The 2 pockets to the side will be used for ornaments that the wife chooses

7th pic shows all of the framework completed ready for sheeting with plaster board.

8th pic shows the plasterboard completed with LED downlights in place and cables at the ready.

9th pic shows bottom of build with more cables at the ready. The DVD player may get moved from the top position

10th 11th pic showing the tv in place with all lights on

12th pic showing my floorstanders and centre speaker in place.

13th pic is my rear speaker mounted high and my redundant Cyrus 6 amp and cd player.

The frame has been screwed together to allow any future changes.
Possibly I may move the AV equipement to a unit I have at the side and install a firebowl .
All that remains for me is to sand down the plaster, put up lining paper then paint it or other wallpaper.
equipement wise I want to change my sub for something else and my reciever to a Sony 1200es.

Attachments

• P8170062 (Small).JPG
    P8170062 (Small).JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 290
  • P8170063 (Small).JPG
    P8170063 (Small).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 179
  • P8180064 (Small).JPG
    P8180064 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 180
  • P8180065 (Small).JPG
    P8180065 (Small).JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 167
  • P8200067 (Small).JPG
    P8200067 (Small).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 192
  • P8200069 (Small).JPG
    P8200069 (Small).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 192
  • P8230071 (Small).JPG
    P8230071 (Small).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 209
  • P8250082 (Small).JPG
    P8250082 (Small).JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 196
  • P8250083 (Small).JPG
    P8250083 (Small).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 175
  • P8250084 (Small).JPG
    P8250084 (Small).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 219
  • P8250085 (Small).JPG
    P8250085 (Small).JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 327
  • P8280086 (Small).JPG
    P8280086 (Small).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 405
  • P8280087 (Small).JPG
    P8280087 (Small).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 252

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I like it :)

Two things I would've done differently tho : not keen on the blue backlights (personally) and would have been tempted to go for a soft white/yellow light behind, and the sunk cabinet - whilst I like it's flush sunk (so many peeps still put a cabinet INFRONT of the chimney brest which is SILLY!) with a build like yours I'd have been tempted to do it like you did the other recesses - and just put up shelving then cover with a fascia surround to have "intergrated" shelves......

But hey! It's not my house ;)

ronmc

Standard Member
Thats looking really good mate, post some more pics when its finished if you cam.

Tony.

thanks for the comment, hopefully over the next week or so then it will all be fininshed.
I need the the wife to decide exactly what decor she is wanting and get new flooring and skirtings put in place.

ronmc

Standard Member
I like it :)

Two things I would've done differently tho : not keen on the blue backlights (personally) and would have been tempted to go for a soft white/yellow light behind, and the sunk cabinet - whilst I like it's flush sunk (so many peeps still put a cabinet INFRONT of the chimney brest which is SILLY!) with a build like yours I'd have been tempted to do it like you did the other recesses - and just put up shelving then cover with a fascia surround to have "intergrated" shelves......

But hey! It's not my house ;)

I have thought about changing the backlights to the white LED strips you get from Ikea. The blue ones I have are those lights that most people on the forum have. If I get the white stips then it should only be a case of unplugging the old and in whith the new.

with regard to the cabinet, my original plan was to have the recess boxed in and glass shelves put in place . We decided on the wooden unit as it was sitting in the garage gathering dust and it helped keep costs down.
The build has cost under £100 , it may come in just over that once it has been finished.
Again thanks for the comments:thumbsup:

stephen_

Looks good, keep up the good work :D

One question though, why have you chosen the centre speaker to be above the TV & not below ?

Thanks

ronmc

Standard Member
Looks good, keep up the good work :D

One question though, why have you chosen the centre speaker to be above the TV & not below ?

Thanks

No real reason, I had intended putting it below but ended up opting for above.
If need be I can angle it down so that it fires towards me on the sofa.
I have a sneaky susupision that my wife will want to change the bottom part of the install and put in a fire bowl next year.
The frame has been done so that changes can be made with relative ease.
All I would need to do to move the speaker is to cut a section big enough above the equipement to house the speaker then line the all the sides with plasterboard and bobs your uncle.

Do you reckon the speaker would be better placed lower down?

The front speaker setup consists of Mission m34 floorstanders and Mission m3ci center speaker. It is powered by a Teac ag10d amp, but my right front channel is only putting out a very low volume, hence the reason I want to upgrade something else

MarkP80

Have you thought about keeping your Cyrus for stereo duty, and using it to power the front speakers via an av amp's preouts?

Cheers,
MarkP

ronmc

Standard Member
Have you thought about keeping your Cyrus for stereo duty, and using it to power the front speakers via an av amp's preouts?

Cheers,
MarkP

I would still like to use the Cyrus stuff but wasn't sure what way to wire it in to my front speakers.

I take it I would just use the CD player connected to the av amp and leave the Cyrus amp out of the equation altogether?
Any help on this would be great.

MarkP80

No, not quite. What you want is for the stereo equipment to be independant of the av gear. (I have some Cyrus too, BTW)

So, CD player connected to stereo amp (CD input), connected to front speakers, as normal for stereo.
DVD player connected to av amp via digital for 5.1 sound.
Rears, centre and sub connected to av amp as normal.
AV amp front speaker preouts connected to AV input on Cyrus amp.
Note, no connection to the front speakers from the av amp directly.

Now you need to set the level of the Cyrus stereo amp -
Select AV on the Cyrus.
Set the volume to 1 o'clock
Hold the AV button in on the Cyrus and keep it held in.
Turn the Cyrus on to standby, then back on, keeping AV held in.
- the vol will return to 1 o'clock.
Now try turning the Cyrus to standby and back again - as if by magic, the vol will always return to 1 o'clock. (or do you need to turn it off at the back, and on again, holding AV in? Can't remember exactly, it's ages since I did it, but it's one of the two. Try both and see which works)

Now you've done that, you need to set the av amp sound levels as normal. Use the amps auto setup function if it has one, but don't touch the Cyrus volume button, let the av amp equalise all the levels of the 5 oplus sub speakers.

And there you go. For stereo use, just use your Cyrus CD and amp as normal.
For av, turn both amps on, select AV on the Cyrus, and the Cyrus volume will be automatically set to the correct level. You control the entire av system volume with the av amp volume knob, as normal.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom