• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My NAD C370 is dead will no longer Power Up and Green Light goes out )-:

tvdavid

Hi
My NAD C370 is dead will no longer Power Up and Green Light goes out )-:
It started going funny the other week I was thinking it was a bad speaker cables so replaced them.
However today it just will no longer work at all.
Wonder is this worth getting fixed and how much will it cost?
Our local shop is Clacton Electronics not sure any others?
Or should I sell it on gumtree as not working?
And get a different amp?
My speakers are Wharfedale Xarus 5000.
Lucky my other Denon AVR-1910 is fine and really good with music for now.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
It will need a pre, and even with one but i would think the Nad would slap it silly in a fight.
If you can get a quote for a fix for the Nad then you could weigh up if its worth the cost to do so.
It might be a protection relay/circuit that's gone potty. If so, that could be an easy fix but can't say how much as i don't know.

If you have to buy another and want the similar then its going to coast a pretty penny. Up to £1k and over. The C375Bee which i think is its most recent replacement is around the £1200.

If you would like the C370 again then there's a few on the bay.

NAD C370 Stereo Integrated Amplifier | eBay

tvdavid

Does this resister look at bit funny near the top of the picture could it be this?
14306785445_ec25fa297f_o.jpg

tvdavid

I wonder how CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 651A would compare?it might just be in my budget?

Last edited:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Funny enough, i'm thinking about the CA 651 for a friend as it ticks the required boxes.

However, I don't think it will be a fair comparison as they are different classes of amps with the CA 85wpc compared to the Nad's 120wpc ( though I personally feel that in the scheme of things, that the wattage difference wont make much of a difference, if any, to your listening pleasure). With that aside though, the 651A is a very nice amp. Will work with the Xarus5000, has enough grunt to keep the multitude happy and has a onboard usb dac a laptop/PC can use to stream to. I haven't heard any of CA's x51A crop of amps as yet so cannot comment on their sound quality, but did the previous crop of x40A's and , as well as many others folks, thought they were very good indeed.
They had their niggles like their protection circuit throwing a wobbly, but most brands have had their niggles. Over all, the x40s were very well regarded amps and if the going by that, the 651 will be in the same vein. I have not seen many, if any, bad reports on them so they must be doing something right.

I see that RS are doing the 651A for just over £300 which is a bargain and definitely worth considering. If you do decide on the CA and you want to use the USB, it best to do a little research on what is required as i heard there is some laptop/pc requirements before it will work properly or if it can do what you want it to do. I could be totally talking out my rear end but thought its best mentioned.

PS - I Like the garage mix - had me bubbling. I know i've got the same or similar mix somewhere but for the life of me, i cannot remember where or what it is. Can you enlighten me please?

tvdavid

Hi just an update on this
I took the amp to Clacton Electronics it was working OK for them.
And was not cutting out.
They had the lid off though.
Well I got it back yesterday and it was OK.
Today tuned on again only to get the dredged red light again.

Have taken the lid off and seems to be going though which is strange.
Any way I am just going to sell this on gumtree.

madtecchy

Banned
Hi the problem with your amplifier is no more than what they call dry joint.. IN English a faulty solder joint .. hardest part of the job is getting the pcb from the chassis to get access to all the joints

tvdavid

I have now bought a Denon AVR-2310 its the next one up from the one I have now so should be fine for me.
And if I ever need more power can also get a PA amp for the fronts as this has pre outs to.
My avr-1910 is great with music so this should be just as good.

madtecchy

Banned
Nice to know you sorted out your sounds

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom