My NAD C370 has died :(

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by wicker_man, Jun 9, 2009.

1. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Just tried to switch my NAD C370 on this morning, but it appears to have died. There doesn't seem to be any signs of life when switching on. I tried changing the fuse, but nothing.

I brought the amp from the classified ads here last July ('08), it did take 2-3 mins to warm up, but after that it used to be fine. I then noticed it would occasionally go back into the protection mode after a short while when switching on for the first time in the day, but then usually clicked back on after a minute or so and worked fine. Recently, I noticed a slight buzzing/humming whilst the amp was on, and when switching the amp off, my speakers used to make a pop sound. This was a couple of weeks ago.

The amp lives on top of a small unit with nothing above it, so plenty of ventilation.

Does anybody have any advice, or experienced this before? Is repair likely to be expensive, and can anybody recommend a dealer (near Solihull/Birmingham?) I really hope it is not too costly or the amp is completely dead, I can't afford to replace it (not had much luck finding a placement for my degree course at uni, and no summer jobs seem to be available :( )

2. Medrep1

Medrep1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    How do you mean it used to take 2/3 mins to warm up? It should come on straight away, i.e. press power button, red protection light comes on for a few seconds, then it should go green?

Its unlikely the amp is completely dead. Ive owned quite a few Nad amps in the past, and have occasionally had that problem.

It my past experiences, could be the capacitor, or even a simple internal fuse? They would cost pennies/pounds to replace, but its usually the labour charge that boosts it up:(

Either way, it needs to be checked by someone who knows what they are doing.

The most ive spent on repairing one is around £60 by audio excellence, including parts and labour.

Is your speaker wiring ok, nothing shorting or cables touching for example?

3. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks for the reply.

It used to stay on the red protection mode for a couple of minutes when first switching on, but then turned green and worked fine. From what I had read, it was normal for this amp to take a little time to warm up.

I have tried changing the fuse in the plug and checked my speaker cabling (it was fine), but no luck. I don't want to open the amp up because I wouldn't really know what to do.

I've found a few sites where people mention that a diode was made too close to a capacitor which affects the capacitor values and messes the protection circuit, and some people have fixed this themselves for less than £1. But I wouldn't really feel confident soldering.

I had a search for Audio Excellence stores (who are apparently now Audio T) but my nearest is about 40 miles away. I have tried emailing Music Matters (where I purchased my B&W speakers) to see if they do amp repairs or know anywhere that could take a look at the amp, and will see what they say.

4. fryingtonite

fryingtonite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine too!

You can have it for nothing if you want and see if you can make one good one out of two duffers.

I live in Bham too.

:D

TIm

5. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I got a reply from Music Matters who said if I drop my amp to them, they will send it to their engineer and give me a free quotation on repair costs. So I will be popping down probably this weekend and seeing what they say.

I'm missing my B&W's, currently using my old Logitech X-230 PC 2.1 speakers :( Ah well, at least I have my Grados for personal listening!

fryingtonite, what kind of 'symptoms' did your C370 show before it died? Does it show any signs of life? Where abouts are located, if you are in/near Solihull or Edgbaston, there are Music Matters stores there (I contacted the Solihull store), worth a try before giving up on the amp!

6. fryingtonite

fryingtonite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oddly enough it was in Music Matters that the amp showed its first signs of decay. It had been on for a long time when I took it in for a comparison demo. When switched on it would buzz loudly for about 30secs and then work perfectly. While buzzing the light was orange but turned green when it powered up OK. Over time the period it took to come on fully got longer where now it stays orange and buzzes.

TBH repairing it probably not worthwhile as I did upgrade and the SH value most likely won't cover the cost of repair,

cheers

Tim

7. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Oh dear :(

Just had a call from Music Matters, apparently the power supply needs replacing, and I'm looking at around £150 to repair it. I'm not going to be spending that kind of money when I only paid £200 for the amp last year. Looks like I need to scrape some money together for a new amp now, which I really can't afford at the moment :thumbsdow

Anyone know if a Cambridge Audio A1 can drive a pair of B&W 686 speakers, or are they too inefficient (84db sensitivity)?