1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Movies - new version due..

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by lisag, Aug 28, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    To include DVD ripping within its own interface :clap:
    Version 1.5 beta available to newsletter subscribers, not got hold of it yet, but am working on it!

lisa

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Is it just me who is happy about this? I must have reached a new level of geek-ness :eek:

Anyway - it is available via the My Movies forums and you can now copy DVD's to your hard drive within the MCE interface :)

Link

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I never used it as you had to have .net framework installed for it to work, and .net framework messes up my system..., anyway sorted out the .net framework issue, but I don't see the point of having this if I don't have any movies ripped to my computer, mayeb the odd 1 or 2....,

4. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a need to rip DVDs. CD's yes because music I listen to over and over. But films I watch once and maybe again in a few years. Doesn't justify the disc space to me.

Is there a similar place where My TV is being developed? Can I go and badger Microsoft for DVB radio support...?!

Mark

5. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm the same, I've got it installed for the one or 2 DVDs I've ripped to my harddrive (Screenselect films I didn't get time to watch yet) but I can't see the point of storing all my DVDs on there. I've got about 140 films and I might watch each one of them every few years.... I'm willing to get up and put the DVD in the machine for that!

I do like the way it was able to import an .xml list of all my films from DVDProfiler so I do have a complete list of the films I have on my MCE machine.

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/isaachg

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
  7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Pah, you lot are too sensible! It is cool to have them all stored on the home network, accessible from any device in the house and catalogued with thumbnails, synopsis, actor and director details, streaming trailers from the net - all organised and accesible with a remote control :thumbsup:

lisa
    :cool:

Agreed it does take up a lot of disk storage space, but overnight encodes to Xvid with AC3 soon frees it up again...

8. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Personally I like the idea of having backups on my HD of my DVD collection.

But I have around 500 discs which at around 7GB per disc is 3.5 terabytes :eek:

I was thinking of one of those network storage thingies but at the price I could buy another 500 DVD which seems like more fun to me. :D

9. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the price of 3.5 tbs? ?Not too much nowadays I bet. Might be cheaper to buy a dvd jukebox though.

10. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I guess the cheapest route would be a bunch of 300GB SATA drives.
    So that's 12 drives at £100 each or £1200 but you would need a large case with plenty SATA ports. And I bet if would produce a lot of heat and noise. Doesn't seem feasible to me :thumbsdow

With that many drives I think a remote solution like network storage is the way to go. To be honest I've not had a serious look at this but LaCie do a 1TB device for $1449 plus another 3x 1TB USB HDs would set you back somewhere between £3000 to £4000.

That would buy a lot of new DVDs.

11. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Then again wait 6 months and I am sure it will be half the price :D

12. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Downloaded it and it works fine:) But you will need LOADS of space to back-up your entire DVD collection:)

13. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it was working fine, but now its all garbled up with loads of compression artefacts:(

edit - strange now it says the disc may be copy protected even after it worked the first time? Could you help me with this lisa?

14. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You need an app running in the background to get through the copy protection. Brian recommends AnyDVD but not had a chance to try it myself yet. As it is a beta version I think he would appreciate any feedback, as he is trying to perfect it before releasing it as a full version.

lisa

15. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that!

16. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In some ways that's a bad sign. Looks like they have modded the card driver and supplied their own plug-in radio player. That would tend to suggest that there's litle prospect of it ever working 'properly', i.e. DVB-T radio stations appearing under My Radio :-/

17. mkonieczko

mkonieczko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using My Movies extensively since I got my MCE a couple of months back. I have catalogued all my DVDs, but not ripped them to disk. The advantage is you can search for actors, directors, genres etc. This is very useful when I have my daughters over to stay and they can't decide what to watch!

But, the really useful thing for me is using a DVD rental service. For ~ £13 per month, I can have 3 DVDs at any time. I get my daughters to order DVDs online but they never seem to arrive when they are with me! Enter DVD Shrink and My Movies!!! I simply rip the DVD when it arrives, then pop it back in the post and the next one arrives 2/3 days later. When my daughters come around they can browse through the online titles, watch the movie of their choice and then I can either delete it or leave it there for future viewing. This way, I can get ~ 20 DVDs per month for ~£13!!! There are other things you can do with the ripped DVD, but then that would probably be infringing even more copyright laws...

18. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Which DVD Rental service do you use?

19. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Well I have 3 250GB drives devoted to my most liked DVDs - ripped using Decrypter and run via MyMovies

What with external 250GB drives available for under £100 I may even get another one

20. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    That's exactly what I do with all the films that arrive that my girlfriend doesn't fancy (3+ hour epics like Das Boot and foreign films like Tarkovsky and Bergman usually!). It's great for that but I still can't see the point of the effort and expense involved in putting all my films to disk. DVDs just aren't used anywhere near as much as music discs and there's no requirement for shuffle play. And if one disc ever develops a fault it's only a few quid to buy a replacement.

Cataloguing in My Movies also seemed to take a while. I much prefer DVD Profiler, only need to enter the EAN and it's all done for you and you can import the DVD Profiler library into My Movies.

Lisag - I use Screenselect. I've tried a few but Screenselect is the only one that actually lists films that aren't available on DVD yet such as new releases or classic films not yet on region 2 release so you can add them to your list and if/when they do come out on DVD they'll automatically come to you. All the other sites I tried like Blockbuster, DVD Island, DVDs365 all return "title not found" when searching for films like "the grifters", "primer", "westworld" to name a few. It's annoying to have to keep going back and checking all the time, at least Screenselect acknowledges the film exists and allows you to reserve it. It's a small thing but it got to me after a while with the others and made me come back to Screenselect after trying one of the cheaper ones (which isn't cheaper anymore). Most of the sites carry the same level of DVDs but Screenselect claims to have the most and there have indeed been a couple of titles in their library that I couldn't find anywhere else. Never had any complaints with the service or delivery times either.

------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I've just checked DVDS365 and they've just merged with Screenselect so now they really are the biggest: http://www.dvds365.com/

21. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Microsoft know but don't care as it's not a problem for anyone in the US. Just like they don't support DVB-S even though the rest of the world uses it.

22. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you shrink the movies a lá DVDShrink with the MyMovies ripper?

I for one don't really need to store Azbekistan subtitles nor the Mogolian dubbed audio tracks you see :rolleyes:

23. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    No its 1:1 ripping (apparently, not actually done it yet!). But you can rip them with DVD shrink and then add them to My Movies... I have been using DVD Decrypter in file mode and then keeping the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file structure, so if DVD shrink can mimic that I expect it will work.

Thanks for all the info on Screen Select Slinkoff, am going to give them a go, I hear they have a better reputation than Love Film - who started to ration me as soon as my free trial finished... :mad:

Do you get anything free if you recommend me?

lisa

24. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Any of these places do region 2 foreign films like Olboy, Dark Water....

25. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well, anydvd installed and after extensive testing (ripping one dvd :) ) it all works as it should and is very neat to be able to manage ripping and adding to the databse all via remote.

I'm impressed :thumbsup:

lisa

26. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mr 'The Crow' With Mymovies you can add all your titles, the actual DVD does not need to be on the PC, but marked 'offline'. That way you click on the cover and the system will ask you to load the DVD and you have the option of numbering your DVDs. It really is a great system... I am sure you must have DVD in the bottom of the draw that you forgot you have.

oops should have read page two of this thread :oops:

27. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ditto for us, but we use the local rental store ... jusyt have to be sure not to pop them back in 30mins ... :rotfl:

28. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have actually been using MyMovies for quite a while and I do have my entire collection entered in the database 95% of which is offline.
    But I find I only really use the pluging to access my online titles, which is very cool. I just wish I had the HD space to put all my discs online.

29. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is some Hitachi 500gb drive, but the report I saw said it gets very warm. I notice you have a plextor 716a, I have had two that have broken. Plextor replace them very quickly, but how has yours been ?

30. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My Plextor has been fine no problems, except it takes a while for the drive/system to recognise a DVD when I insert one. Sometimes upto 30 seconds.