1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My movie/music set up. (Sorry, creativity not flourishing tonight...)

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by Skip67, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As I was impressed with quite a few of the other efforts on here, I thought I'd share mine with you. As it evolves mainly around a hand made 'wall unit' (for want of a better description) and we may well be moving soon, I figured it may also be a kind of pictoral record of my system at this current stage.
    Anyway, I'm not really the techinical sort so please don't go asking me what connections I've got or anything like that. All I know is that my great manager at my local Sevenoaks always makes sure I have decent connections/leads when I buy my latest bit of kit. :D
    My latest aquisition was the Arcam DV79 to match up with the HDMi on the PDP-434HDE. As the amp is the now slightly ageing Yammy DSP-A1 I'm working on having a look at the AVR300 to match the DVD. If any of you have experience between the A1 and the AVR300 I'd really appreciate your comments. The main issue I have at the moment is that, to me, the sound sometimes lacks in dynamics and doesn't have that 'edge' if you know what I mean. I realise that that may have something to do with my main speakers' positioning and also my furnishings. I'd welcome any comments on that though.
    Not being a handy bloke I got the unit made by a retired carpenter. He even hand made the doors ! £1,500, including materials. I was suitably chuffed.
    At the moment I have the cracking REL Quake sub. Even though I love the little blighter, I do wonder if a slightly higher end one may improve my system though. Again, if any of you have any experience in that field please feel free to share your knowledge.
    Anyway, apologies for the Man Utd stuff but I hope that doesn't take away your 'enjoyment' of my pictures. :rolleyes:
    Heres me list.
    • Arcam DV79 DVD/CD player
    • Yamaha DSP-A1 Amp/Receiver
    • KEF Reference One-One main speakers
    • KEF 200C Centre speaker
    • KEF TDM34DS Rear surrounds
    • REL Quake Sub
    • Sky+ PVR
    • Panasonic NV-HD600 VCR
    • Project One turntable.
    • Quadrispire stand/rack. (Can't recall exact name, but I can recommend it.)
    • Harmony 655 Universal remote.

Attached Files:

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would say that your speakers are ahead of the rest of your system and that you should be looking at better amplification to drive them more efficiently. I would say a big Rotel as a minimum. Also your sub is way out of its depth (forgive the punn) Your main speakers are almost capable of producing the same frequency response. You need something with real low end grunt. Have a look at the new 10" box SVS or similar.

3. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A similar set-up to mine where youv'e gone for the 'fitted' look. I think that shows off the kit perfectly and provides plenty of storage at the same time. Gave me a warm glow to see the shelf of vinyl !!
    How do you feel about the Kef surrounds??
    Just because you'r a United supporter, it doesn't mean you'r a bad person !!

4. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the comments lads.

Thunder: That's my next 'project' mate.Going to look at the Arcam AVR300, mainly because I have the DV79,but I'd also like to look at the Yammy Z9.That will take a little more saving obviously. I thought the sub may be bettered, but this is the first sub I've ever had believe it or not, and it did impress me when I bought it.That'll be next after a new amp.

5. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Loftfuton: The KEF surrounds are OK, although I wouldn't go overboard about them. I bought them solely because my main speakers are KEF. They're too bloody big as well, although I may get them bi-wired at some stage and that may make me eat my words. Hopefully.

Oh yeah, come on the lads tonight !! :D