My modest living room 5.1.2 setup

SBB

I built this a couple of years ago but recently had a tidy up and got a new screen so figured i'd post it up,

I don't have a large space and i'm not a professional but I managed to do my best with it doing the majority of the work myself,

When I moved in I had this really horrible housebrick fireplace and TV stand, I'm sure it was "fashionable" at some point but it was way past its sell-by date!

20180124_215917.jpg

So I quickly smashed that out ...

20180205_224446.jpg

The fireplace void was filled and the damage plastered over and new skirting boards all round the room

I wanted the TV to be central in the wall and as little visible wiring as possible so I chased the wall and ran ethernet, satellite, power, HDMI and speaker cables, and filled over. Ran the 4x speaker cables into the ceiling void for the rear and height speakers to be fitted later on.

IMG_20181111_164510.jpg

Faceplates fitted - I used euro modular faceplates for most of it and found this nice binding post plate on ebay for the speaker connections (2x rear and 2x height speakers)

s-l500.jpg

IMG_20181208_235420.jpg

I chased in a speaker wire for each of the rear speakers and ran them into a back box

IMG_20181111_164523.jpg

Wallpaper on - looking miles better already!

IMG_20190104_111931.jpg

I used an Ikea Besta 180cm unit and fitted a 186cm (so I didnt need to trim the sides) Karlby walnut effect kitchen worktop on top. I trimmed about 20cm off the rear to make it fit nicely. Was originally going to screw it into the Besta cabinet but in the end I just left it loose so I could easily slide it off and access the wires behind!

IMG_20210117_165836.jpg

Ceiling height speakers in - placement in relation to listening position wasn't perfect due to having to work around joists but its only noticeable if you point it out (and i'm really fussy about those things)

IMG_20210117_165901.jpg

Rear speakers:

IMG_20210117_165844.jpg

The only thing that's not really ideal is the placement of the rears - I was very limited by space for the sofa where there was a wall close by on one side and the door opening at the other. After a lot of messing around with Audessy calibration and tweaking the volume at the rear it sounds OK to me - would be interested in what others would've done in my situation - I doubt i'll change it now but would be nice to learn any better ideas for next time

Full specs:
Panasonic 65HZ1000 OLED
Denon X2400H receiver
Panasonic UB820 UHD player
Apple TV 4K
PS4 Pro
Humax Freesat PVR

Dali Zensor 7 fronts
Dali Zensor Vokal centre
Dali Zensor Pico rears
Dali Phantom E60 in-ceiling height channel
Dali E12F sub

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
Great job. Very proud. Much better than before.

The old fashioned fireplace and brick stand was definitely taking up space.

Plenty of space to upgrade to an 80+" or projector screen in the future too.

Hope you have plenty of ventilation as that Denon avr can get very hot.

Im sure someone will come along to suggest bringing the centre forward to the edge of the shelf or angle it slightly upwards to the MLP.

Broadsword

Nice, I like how you did that yourself too, really good. I’m lucky that our room has a meter or two space behind the sofa for the rears to go, we also use bipolar rears to help delocalise the sound. Maybe an option for you, not sure?

SBB

Great job. Very proud. Much better than before.

The old fashioned fireplace and brick stand was definitely taking up space.

Plenty of space to upgrade to an 80+" or projector screen in the future too.

Hope you have plenty of ventilation as that Denon avr can get very hot.
Thanks for your comments, you're right the room felt substantially bigger without it, and I was able to fit an extra sofa on the left hand side of the room which would've have been possible before!

You're right, I could have a projector screen hidden somewhere or maybe drop from the ceiling as the width allows for it and the space above the sofa is great for mounting a projector

It does get a little warm but i've left all the backs off the units so its not a complete "hot box" and there's around 10cm gap behind for air to flow out so it seems to manage OK (had it in there 3 years now)

SBB

Nice, I like how you did that yourself too, really good. I’m lucky that our room has a meter or two space behind the sofa for the rears to go, we also use bipolar rears to help delocalise the sound. Maybe an option for you, not sure?
Yes, that could've been an option

Dali speakers have a "wide dispersion" design so actually that sound isn't as localised as you'd expect, especially if you're immersed in the film and not concentrating on it, but im sure bipole would've been even better,

I don't think Dali make such a speaker, I looked at Monitor Audio bronze which had the "FX" speaker in the rear which in retrospect was probably a better choice for my room, but I just found them very dull to listen to in comparison

SBB

Nice job! Real clean setup that blends well in your living room. Happy with the 5.1.2 setup?
Thank you, I have to make it clean and tasteful because it's a shared space and I don't have a dedicated room! But to be honest that was a nice challenge for me (especially hiding all the wiring and trying to colour coordinate as much as possible)!

Yes very happy, especially with the height channels, works really well in titles with a good Dolby Atmos track. The only thing I'm missing really is some side channels, would love 7.1.2 (I think that would be better in my opinion than 5.1.4), but the room layout doesn't really allow for it :(.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom