My MK Sound 5.1.4 Build thread

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after many years of drooling at other peoples build threads the time is right to start one of my own, I've always wanted to do a dedicated room, we already have our loft converted into a bedroom which could make for an amazing home cinema but after talking it through with the wife I was concerned how often it would get used by the rest of the family and agreed to have the living room done instead.

We have a fairly odd shaped room and and my current setup was always a massive compromise, as you can see from the pictures it was far from ideal.
I've always wanted MK speakers, but made the mistake of buying floor standing B&W speakers as I always thought you needed massive floor standers to achieve good sound.

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

So after doing some research I got in touch with Richard @Seriously Ltd, he was brilliant, he came over to the house and gave us his thoughts, he's been brilliant to deal with and not pushy at all, so after discussing the options with the wife we decided to go ahead and booked in some dates.

I then found out I was being made redundant and the install was then in doubt, my dream was about to come crashing down, however I was lucky to find another job straight away so we continued as planned with some extra funds available thanks to the redundancy.

Equipment wise I really wanted to go with Lyngdorf MP50 processor but funds couldn't stretch that far, I've always been a fan of Anthem so decided to go with a AVM60 processor, I don't game at all so don't have any need for HDMI 2.1. Powering the base layer will be my Emotiva XPA 5 and then an Emotiva A-5175 for the 4 Atmos speakers.

Speakers wise I've gone for the MK IW150 LCR, S150T Tripole surrounds and 4 x IC95 for Atmos
with my trusty DD18+ staying on subwoofer duties.

Sources will be an Oppo 4k player along with Sky Q and an Apple TV

My LG65E6 OLED is also staying but this time will be wall mounted.

All off the equipment will then be installed into the cupboard under the stairs giving us a much better, clutter free appearance with all the equipment installed out of sight in a rack.

Progress, well we started this Sunday by clearing the room ready for @Seriously Ltd and his team to come in Monday, my god clearing the room was hard work, much harder than anticipated and went well into the late hours of the night.

IMG_1741.JPG

Work begin today on building the stud work wall to house the speakers and TV as well as the wiring for the electronics and ceiling down lights.

The room is still an awkward shape so although the new stud wall will be central to the back wall the TV won't be able to sit in the middle of the new wall due to the positioning of the speakers and seating position, my OCD is in overdrive but the sound and speaker placement must come first.

IMG_1407.jpg

So after a busy Monday this where we currently are

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_5557.JPG

That's it for today, if anyone is interested in seeing more I will continue to update every couple of days, thanks for looking, Andy

Last edited:
I’m hoping it’s going to look as good in the flesh as the picture I have in my head.

I’m nervous but excited at the same time.

keep up with the pictures enjoy reading your progress :thumbsup:

Exciting times. Also subscribed.

Following with interest. Always like seeing Rich’s installs. What sub is that by the way. It’s bloody massive.

Nice! Do you have any drawings/sketches as to how it will look?

No it’s a fairly simple install, still amazed at the amount of wiring though lol.

More pictures to follow tomorrow as it was to dark by the time I got in from work.

Boarding on the stud wall is almost complete, work has also started on the new ceiling.

Lots of deliveries as well today.

Following with interest. Always like seeing Rich’s installs. What sub is that by the way. It’s bloody massive.

Velodyne DD18+ It always puts a smile on my face, I considered selling it and going for smaller dual subs but I just couldn’t bare to part with it.

It looks and sounds amazing

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing :smashin: looking forward to the outcome with interest :rolleyes:
wish i had the money to do our living room !! never mind.
Enjoy it mate be a dream come true for you :D

I see where your trying to go, unfortunately not as there is soil stack there and it would mean the stud work wall would come out to far into the room.

We are already loosing space and didn’t want to loose any more.

We did consider your idea though, we thought about building it into the right of the soil stack but that would mean the sud wall would need to run the whole length of the back wall which wouldn’t work either as we would then loose a space for an arm chair.

Another problem was our fibre optic comes in on the back wall and it’s the only place it can really come into the house without causing another headache, so access needed to be maintained for that, we could of installed some sort of hatch but the wife wasn’t happy because she was dead against loosing the seating position.

Some compromises had to be made as it’s also our living room and this is one of them.

Looks like you'll have a great end result, big fan of MK speakers myself and liverpool!! nice shirt on the wall. keep the pics coming.

Another solid days progress, all the plaster boarding has been completed ready for plastering tomorrow.

I had a "doh" moment, I couldn't see the ethernet cable that needed to be installed and panicked a bit, thankfully it was there after all.

The room is really starting to take shape and I'm starting to be able to see what it's going to look like, really pleased so far with everything.

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_6478.JPG
IMG_6478.JPG

Great progress. This is what worries me about doing it myself. That’s going to take me weeks to manage what they’ve done in days.

Great progress so far and it’s already looking really good. I’ve got similar speakers to you (also fitted by Richard). Like you I’d love an MP50 but just upgraded to an AVM60 and it all sounds fantastic. It’s going to sound great once it’s all completed so look forward to seeing the finished results.

coming along nicely - out of curiosity are you changing the floor to carpet or leaving it as wood/laminate?

Thanks, the floor is staying as it's solid oak, I have a large rug that goes down, can be seen in the first picture and really helps with acoustics in the room.

Great progress so far and it’s already looking really good. I’ve got similar speakers to you (also fitted by Richard). Like you I’d love an MP50 but just upgraded to an AVM60 and it all sounds fantastic. It’s going to sound great once it’s all completed so look forward to seeing the finished results.

Have you got any pictures of your room or a link ?

The whole journey for me started with the MP50, I was just about to order one but after discussing it with @Seriously Ltd we agreed the money could be better spent getting the room and speaker layout changed.

Once the room changes are made I will be much better placed in the future when funds allow to go down the Lyngdorf route. I'm sure the AVM60 will sound great, even more so as I only use the room for AV.

More pictures to follow later after the plastering is done, then it needs to dry ready for decoration next week.

I've had a few messages about the install and what it's been like dealing with @Seriously Ltd, I can honestly say it's been brilliant so far, no issues at all, when the room is finished I will write up a summary worts and all.

I made a thread for my room, which was a garage conversion here

The Folly - Double Garage Conversion

I need to update it as since then we’ve changed some of the furniture and I was unable to resist adding a used AVM60 when it became available and also a Lyngdorf 2170 to scratch that MP50 itch. with the lyngdorf I have been listening to so much more music, which was my one disappointment with the Denon.

Overall I’m so glad we did it and the room is in near constant use.

Have you got any pictures of your room or a link ?

The whole journey for me started with the MP50, I was just about to order one but after discussing it with @Seriously Ltd we agreed the money could be better spent getting the room and speaker layout changed.

Once the room changes are made I will be much better placed in the future when funds allow to go down the Lyngdorf route. I'm sure the AVM60 will sound great, even more so as I only use the room for AV.

More pictures to follow later after the plastering is done, then it needs to dry ready for decoration next week.

I've had a few messages about the install and what it's been like dealing with @Seriously Ltd, I can honestly say it's been brilliant so far, no issues at all, when the room is finished I will write up a summary worts and all.
That’s sound like good advise. For Movies the Anthem will be very good and you won’t miss the Lyngdorf.

Could of tips from my experience. When Rich sets up ARC for you get him to add a profile with an extra 0.6db in room gain. I found this very useful for filling in the bass balance. Also had feedback from others this worked for them.

That’s a mighty sub you have, did you discuss going to multiple subs? like the V12 which comes in wife friendly white. Have you thought about prewiring for an additional sub if needed in the future?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom