My MK Sound 5.1.4 Build thread

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Seriously Cinema are really expert about audio.

They have a fab showroom to demonstrate that they can deliver the best in home cinema, hifi and professional audio systems. They only use the best in class products and are expert in acoustics, sound proofing, fabric walling, star light ceilings, networks, control systems, remote lighting and shading.

If you want a full turn key solution that delivers the best performance whatever your budget, you won’t find a better company to work with.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
The aspect of this install that I appreciated the most was that @Seriously Ltd retained a lot of existing kit and didn’t insist on putting in all new equipment. Admirable respect for client budget.
Rich was more than happy to use equipment that was already in place and was happy to use my existing Denon AVR, however I wanted to make a change to the Anthem AVM60.

I also used my existing Emotiva power amps and my lovely DD18+ sub.

The MK speakers are just simply amazing, I had some rather larger B&W CM9 speakers which sounded good but the M&K stuff is one another level.

I also provided all the materials as we were able to get staff discount from TP and tbh they were more than happy with me arranging this as it was one less thing for them to worry about.

I have nothing but praise for @Seriously Ltd and his team, get in touch with Rich if your considering an install.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I watched the new Terminator Dark Fate movie last night, OMG, it sounded amazing, one of the best sound tracks I've heard for a while.

Love my new setup, every time I watch a film my new system brings a smile to my face, I'm so pleased with the M&K speakers, best change I've ever made.

Bagapeas

I watched the new Terminator Dark Fate movie last night, OMG, it sounded amazing, one of the best sound tracks I've heard for a while.

Love my new setup, every time I watch a film my new system brings a smile to my face, I'm so pleased with the M&K speakers, best change I've ever made.
Great to hear. Mine is still bringing a smile to my face and plenty of moment when I think wow this is amazing.

orange55

Great to hear. Mine is still bringing a smile to my face and plenty of moment when I think wow this is amazing.
And the great news is that doesn’t go away. Had mine for over 18 months and it still makes me smile. Watched Joker at the weekend and the Atmos sound really draws you in to the movie.

thepilot

Amazing build - a question I have if I may?

And maybe this is one for @Seriously Ltd ?
Why lower the ceiling - is this simply for an easier life when running all of the AV cables or is the insulation a much bigger part of this? Would pulling down the existing ceiling and replacing what's above it not be better for potential re-sale purposes? What do you lose overall - 100mm?

Thinking about a room I have and this sparked my interest.

Harkon321

They have pulled down the existing ceiling. They've then used clips and channels to isolate the new plasterboard from the joists above. It's all for soundproofing. Depth depends on the clips they used. Think I'm looking at 47mm or something but can't remember without checking the plans.

thepilot

Is that true? I thought I could see white speckled plasterboard behind some of the insulation when showing the metal frame?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We actually left the existing ceiling in place. We sometimes do this as it keeps the work cleaner, faster to do and means that we haven’t cut into the existing ceiling so no fire hoods required and reduces sound transmission. Void then filled with Rockwool. The ceiling is lowered by 100mm to take the in-ceiling speakers. Once done you wouldn’t know the ceiling is lowered slightly.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I was worried about the loss of ceiling height, I can confirm it’s impossible to notice the difference without a tape measure in your hand.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Update: I've not told the wife yet but I'm going to add a second sub, not 100% sure on what it will be yet as I can't justify 5k on another DD18+

I'm looking at a few different options, PSA 1812 or even a Drayton Ultimax UM 18-22 18"

One problem is I didn't get a second RCA cable run which is 100% my fault as I never ever thought I would be looking to add another sub but getting my room done had unleashed my love for home cinema again.

I've been looking at these JL Audio JLink TRX Wireless Kit | Ideal AV Home Cinema

Are they any good ?

beechy06

Update: I've not told the wife yet but I'm going to add a second sub, not 100% sure on what it will be yet as I can't justify 5k on another DD18+

I'm looking at a few different options, PSA 1812 or even a Drayton Ultimax UM 18-22 18"

One problem is I didn't get a second RCA cable run which is 100% my fault as I never ever thought I would be looking to add another sub but getting my room done had unleashed my love for home cinema again.

I've been looking at these JL Audio JLink TRX Wireless Kit | Ideal AV Home Cinema

Are they any good ?
I feel your pain as I did the same thing, run cable for one point but now wish i’d run to multiple points as I’ve relocated my sub and thinking about going dual subs myself at some point, luckily I have carpet so I can just lift that up to try hide if needed

I’ve not used the wireless kit but Alan at Ideal AV had them in one of his own systems, i’m sure if you search the forum its been discussed before but IIRC seems to work well

Are you planning to run two completely different subs then or move on your DD18 and pick up two new subs? Good luck telling the wife!

orange55

Are they any good ?
I use these in my Family room set-up and works really well. I have them about 6 meters apart and the the delay is very small, in fact when I measured the response with REW I did not need to make any adjustments.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I feel your pain as I did the same thing, run cable for one point but now wish i’d run to multiple points as I’ve relocated my sub and thinking about going dual subs myself at some point, luckily I have carpet so I can just lift that up to try hide if needed

I’ve not used the wireless kit but Alan at Ideal AV had them in one of his own systems, i’m sure if you search the forum its been discussed before but IIRC seems to work well

Are you planning to run two completely different subs then or move on your DD18 and pick up two new subs? Good luck telling the wife!
At the moment I'm going to try and run 2 different 18" sealed subs and see how I get on, if I can't get a good match then I will consider different options.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member

ml337

Thank you for sharing. It has been very interesting and eye-opening. I'm not sure if it was discussed but are you using Harmony Elite to control the different systems? If so, how do you find it for your setup?

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Thank you for sharing. It has been very interesting and eye-opening. I'm not sure if it was discussed but are you using Harmony Elite to control the different systems? If so, how do you find it for your setup?
Your welcome, yes I’m using a Harmony Elite and it works really well.

I just wish they did an Elite with physical numbers and it would be perfect, but as it doesn’t I still use a normal Sky remote

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt

Trending threads

Latest News

Ennio Morricone: Legendary film composer dies aged 91
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar