My MK / Lyngdorf / Trinnov Build.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that can't be bothered going thru the whole thread here's a finish shot of the front end.
final.jpg

I have been meaning to do this for ages. Rather than going too far back let's start about halfway in.

IMG_20170105_133707.jpg

So I'd put in the new carpet, coffee table and sofa etc. The walls and ceiling are this colour because the room was stark white and Fired Earth gave me all I needed here for £33.

The screen was hung out from the back wall because of the chimney breast / fireplace and so it would drop in front of the TV because I'd only watch the projector (Sony 55ES) for movies.. yea.. didn't happen, sold the old Pioneer plasma. 4X MK 150ST tripoles were added for Atmos duties, HTPC / Network is on the floor and the Anthem MRX 510 is doing processor duty.

3.jpg

Time to darken the room down and for some in ceiling speakers - for this I used Dulux Vinyl Matt - bitter chocolate, as every other build I see is either black, red or battleship grey - this is some weird purple brown concoction. Fitting the 4x MK 150mkii in ceiling speakers blunted 4 saw blades as the ceiling has a layer of limerock between the plasterboard and plaster.. OG ceiling 20's style.

20180407_112338.jpg

Paint on, gloss on speakers in. Networking / server duties next.

index.jpg

That'll buff out...

20180605_154331.jpg

See!? - ok. I did tidy the cables up, swapped all the network stuff to CAT7 centre shelf back on.

Electric screen (Draper ReactII comes down)

20180604_144939.jpg

And then I drop the new screen, a 114'' Seymour Centre Stage XD in front of it all, but not before some fudgeing great cable management.

20180408_135550.jpg

Anthem has gone and the Lyngdorf MP50 processor is in. Dropped in a little POE switch for the Voip phones and other network bobbins.. did I mention this is my office? no? this is my office.

Behold new screen!

20180610_133652.jpg

And my falling off under shelf lighting... stupid cheap ass gaffa tape.. this was on the back of my TV years ago, it's broken a billion places.. and no I can't bear to take the plasti wrap off the front of the MP50.

I dunno how Image heavy this is so more glamour shots on post 2.

Attachments

• 20180604_144939.jpg
    20180604_144939.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 544
  • 20180604_144939.jpg
    20180604_144939.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Ok here's some of the finished stuff in no particular order.

20180606_210820.jpg

ignore the painting stuff in the corner... here's front of the house 3x MK 300, Sub 1.. Anthem A5 amp with 3x Lyngdorf SDA 2400 stereo amps.. beast.

20180610_133521.jpg

Some cheeky side on action with Paradigm Sub1 and Lyngdorf SDA power amps. Centre speaker is hiding behind the screen.

20180610_133726.jpg

And here's the back of the room which consists of a JVC X5900 and 4x MK 300ST

20180610_133924.jpg

Behold my amazing photography skills! Last shot which is of the ceiling and something else.

20180610_133835.jpg

ehh...

20180610_134143.jpg

That's kinda it, there was more boring building stuff and plenty of waffle I still have a little bit to do but haven't been arsed.

Any questions fire away!

All stuff supplied and advised by Seriously Cinema you can find him on the forums @Seriously Ltd

Like the filthy heathen I am, I have not done a new calibration for the new in ceilings, the L/R surrounds being moved 2 foot forward, the front L/R being moved wider and the centre behind the screen.

Nice kit list and a nice job, do you not fancy doing a baffle wall for the front end ?

Nice kit list and a nice job, do you not fancy doing a baffle wall for the front end ?

A few reasons why I didn't do that in the first place. There wasn't in-wall 300's out at the time, at least I don't think so and I still thought I was going to use the TV and the projector occasionally. I could have even put the kit in the loft and ran the cables down the chimney.

Now it would be an equal amount off faff and zero sonic benefit, I think it's discrete enough, I wasn't going for invisible everything in the first place and it's based round a 4yr old install concept for a different system.

Wow. Very cool.

FYI I know one cinema where a baffle wall was installed and it completely screwed up the sound quality. It was ok on film but in stereo it sounded like there was fabric in front of the speakers.

It was a 150 system and the addition of the baffle wall really compromised the speakers performance.

I tried a front baffle wall in our dedicated cinema room and didn't like the effects so removed the treatment.

hi. very nice, thanks for sharing.
how big is your space?
since you used fixed transparent screen, why you didn't hide the main front L/R speakers behind the screen?
just wondering...
really nice work.

It's probably about 15ft long by 13ft wide not including the bay window. There isn't quite enough throw distance to get all 3 speakers behind the screen. 114'' @ 11.5ft or 12ft or whatever it is, is technically too large as well even by THX's standards weighing in at a 38 degree viewing angle VS 36.

Even splitting the difference between SMPTE and THX's guide it should be 98'' max at my seating distance.

your screen 16x9, right?
what about 2.35?wouldn't these solve the issue? to gain some width and "loose" the speakers behind the screen

Yep, 16:9, so 80+% of my content is in 16:9, so 2:35 wasn't really an issue. Hiding the speakers wasn't an issue either or the goal even, just the screen being lower with a better surface.

I can't say whether or not 2:35 would have been wide enough with the projectors throw distance, but it wasn't really a thought to be honest. We have more good shows than movies and the black bars don't bother me, I guess i'm of the opinion that scope is overrated given 'what you get'

But that's just me.. least my imax scenes don't end up on the floor. :rotfl:

Cheeky addition of second Pargdigm Sub1 - for ridiculous bass.

20180819_154702.jpg

Yes, yes I know the rope lightling is falling off.. just haven't been lying on the floor recently to fix it.

Attachments

• 20180819_154921.jpg
    20180819_154921.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 581
  • 20180819_154949.jpg
    20180819_154949.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 657

Action+Movie on the MP50 with something like the first beach scene in The Day After Tomorrow is absolutely bonkers and that was at 10 on the dial.

Very nice. Do keep thinking I should get a 2nd sub 1 because, errrrrr, just because...;)

Very nice. Do keep thinking I should get a 2nd sub 1 because, errrrrr, just because...;)

With that processor and speaker set up, absolutely.

The rope lighting has been fixed and is now rocking a cool magenta. I may have glued my fingers together and to the underside of the table, but there are no witnesses.

With that processor and speaker set up, absolutely.

The rope lighting has been fixed and is now rocking a cool magenta. I may have glued my fingers together and to the underside of the table, but there are no witnesses.
Hmmm, I might have to twist my rubber arm if a decently priced used unit makes an appearance....

Hmmm, I might have to twist my rubber arm if a decently priced used unit makes an appearance....

You should have been all over the one I got. I know Dan has 2x Sub2's. Trying to find 2 of something that does as many things in one shiny box is going to be hard.

You should have been all over the one I got. I know Dan has 2x Sub2's. Trying to find 2 of something that does as many things in one shiny box is going to be hard.
I have been extending my room, buying the Storm and JBLs, and have a new screen on the way, so am trying to take mini-break from any big purchases for a bit, hence I am ignoring the used pages on both Dan and Nick's websites as best I can!

On saying that, I see Dan has 3 MK150's and I can't help but think they are worth a try.... God I need a cheaper hobby...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom