My mic aint working

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Fluffigt, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Fluffigt

Fluffigt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I have a problem and I was hoping someone here could help me get it sorted.

A few months ago I got a new computer. I'm really happy with it and everything is working fine, except my microphone. I'm using my old mic and it works fine on the old computer, but the new one doesn't seem to register any sound at all.

I have tried everything within my knowledge, all in vain. I even sat down one night and searched through Microsofts support, but all I foud was stuff I already tried. I', getting desperate, I need my mic! Please, can anyone help me?

Fluff

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    1) Can you test the mike in another PC (with a different soundcard) ?
    Ensure the test PC works with both microphones.

2) Do you know what type of mike the suspect one is ?
    It may have a much different impedance or much different output level ; your original might be an electret mike & the new one a dynamic (moving coil) type.

3) I assume you have tried all the relevant mixer settings in Windoze control panel (under multimedia, I assume).

If it's a dynamic mike, it should work in reverse - up to a point - i.e. as a headphone/loudspeaker.
    Some soundcards have volume controls both for "main" & for microphone input and both would need to be turned up ; in some cases you might also have to tick/check a box to enable the mike input - or untick a box to remove a "mute" setting.
    In addition , it is not unknown to find soundcards with their own hardware (real) volume controls - but this is rare nowadays.
    Failing this, forum members might be able to help further if we knew more details : make/model of mike, soundcard make/model, operating system, basic details of PC etc. etc.

Hope this lot helps.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Fluffigt

Fluffigt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I have indeed tested it with another PC, and it works just fine, so I figured the problem is with my sound card. I have an integrated (think this is the english word for it, I'm Swedish:clown:) sound card on my ASUS A7 V333. No idea what model/make the mike is, as I'm more or less a nitwit when it comes to this kinda stuff. I do think it not a dynamic mike, those are a bit more expensive, right? This is some cheap plastic stuff, but it's been pretty useful and I would love to get it working with my new PC.

I hope I made enough sense for you to follow :p

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    I did a quick advanced search on Google www.google.com/advanced_search.htm (including their Groups" search to see what had been posted on Usenet).
    It seems lots of people have had mike (& other) problems with C-media AC'97 PC audio codecs. From what I could see, the actual ICs are ok but the software stinks !
    See if Asus have an updated sound driver (it should be a WDM driver) on their website.
    Otherwise, try an intelligent search and spend an hour reading through the various problems & (in some cases) solutions that users have posted.
    You could always disable the onboard audio in your CMOS setup, uninstall the audio driver, shut down, switch off, insert your old soundcard and install its drivers instead.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. Fluffigt

Fluffigt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found out that I have a CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device. I downloaded the latest drivers from asus website, but still no luck. Thank you for all your trouble though, I'm going to buy a new soundcard if I don't get this problem solved soon.

6. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fluffigt,

Just incase your interested I found a site that gives you a download that scans your pc and tells you exactly whats in it.Heres the link if your interested in downloading it.I think it`s brilliant.

http://www.belarc.com/ba5.html?C